CrusaderDroid's Powerset Suggestion Thread (open to requests!)

Hi there! 

As an aspiring game designer, I've got quite a few ideas for powersets that could be added to the game. I don't want to spam the forum with them, though, so I figure it would be easier to keep them all contained in one thread.

I'm open to feedback about anything I post. I'm still learning the game and its design, so I might make some mistakes in the importance or power of certain mechanics.

I'm also open to requests to make up rough drafts of powersets! Pitch me an idea and I'll try and spin it into a complete powerset for you. If you have a cool idea but don't know exactly what it would look like, I can help with that.

I'll keep this post updated with links to all of the other powersets posted in this thread.

My Powersets:

Primal Forces

Trick Shot

Venom Blast

Powered Weaponry

Requested Sets:

Edited by CrusaderDroid
Renamed Sorcerous Blast to Primal Forces. Added Venom Blast, Powered Weaponry.
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Aspiring game designer and minotaur main.

Anyone can tear something down. The true talent is building it back up again, better than before.

My collection of powerset suggestions - open to comments and feedback!

Posted (edited)

So while any power set can be magic, none of them really quite feel like magic.

Specifically: Look at Doctor Strange, Merlin, or that annoying Wizard in your D&D sessions. The fireball they throw is the least creative thing they can do. Their actual powerset is well beyond any accurate representation in City of Heroes right now. You can say Sorcery works, and to an extent it does, but at the end of the day you're still sitting on Fire Blast and either having to pick a rainbow of colors for your powers or accepting that this particular mage of yours is just really fire-happy.

Hence: Sorcerous Blast. Sorcerous Blast is an attempt to capture the versatility of the big name wizards of lore, bringing a diverse arsenal of effects to bear on enemies. The hope is that players that use this set feel like flashy archmages throwing around lots of power.

Mechanically, I wanted an incentive to take all of the powers, and I didn't want to lose a power to Aim or an equivalent. The rune system thus wants you to use all of your powers frequently, which means you get to show off your fancy particle effects on top of building up power with each use. This kind of gradual buildup, and especially the unlocking of new capabilities, isn't found anywhere else currently.

All listed numbers are open to change. Any missing numbers aren't as important to me as the underlying idea, and can be filled in later if this ever gets to beta testing.

Let me know what you think and what you like or don't like. I'm still learning the intricacies of CoH power design, so I'm open to feedback.

Shout out to @Drow2100for giving me the inspiration.

EDIT: Thanks to @Rudra's feedback, renamed the set to Primal Forces to move away from a magic-inferring origin.

Primal Forces

Weave together many different elements to empower yourself and overwhelm your enemies’ defenses.

All Primal Forces powers grant you a rune that increases your stats for 1 minute. Each rune stacks with runes from other powers, but not itself. All runes increase your damage by 5%, with each individual rune granting its own additional bonus. Rune buffs are unenhanceable.

(Alternative animations would allow the runes to instead be visually represented by binary code, sparks of power or outright excised for minimal FX.)

Tier 1: Bolt of Barathus - A single, swift bolt of fire that deals moderate fire damage, with a chance to inflict damage over time. Low recharge time. Rune grants a chance to deal very minor fire damage on hit, triggering about 4 times a minute.

Tier 2: Waters of Wiolathe - A burst of water underneath a target with a chance to knock down, dealing moderate smashing and cold damage. Moderate recharge time. Rune grants +10% recharge speed and +5% endurance cost reduction.

Tier 3: Storm of Ssrinath - Strike a target with lightning, shocking all enemies around them for heavy electric damage, draining endurance, and applying a penalty to endurance recovery. Very long recharge for its tier. Rune grants +5% to hit and a chance to deal light electric damage on hit, triggering 3 times a minute.

Tier 4: Rumblings of Rorg - Target area becomes the epicenter of an earthquake, continually dealing smashing damage and slowing enemies inside for a duration and attempting to knock them down every 3 seconds. Very long recharge. Rune grants +5% resist to all damage.

Tier 5: Cloak of Corrocan - Sweep darkness around you, dealing negative energy damage in an area around you and lowering the accuracy and perception of enemies hit. Rune grants +50% regeneration and recovery and stealth.

Tier 6: Ice of Illae - Chilling cold winds strike a cone for light cold damage, applying a long-lasting slow and cold resist debuff. Very short recharge, but the damage is lower than most tier 1 powers. Rune grants +5% endurance cost reduction and +2.5% defense to all attacks as well as 50% increased run and fly speed. 

Tier 7: Hurricane of Haloreth - Intense winds hurl an enemy hilariously high into the air, dealing smashing damage and grounding the target. Long recharge. Rune grants +10% recharge speed and the ability to hover.

Tier 8: Light of Linila - Piercing beam of light briefly debuffs the target's energy resist by about 15% before dealing high energy damage. Moderately long recharge, resist debuff expires almost immediately after dealing damage. Rune grants +50% regeneration and recovery and +5% recharge speed and a chance to deal bonus energy damage on hit, triggering about 2 times per minute.

Tier 9: Gate - Tear open a localized portal at your location and cause spirits to flood out and strike at all enemies in an unfairly wide range around you, dealing high negative energy damage and attempting to terrorize all targets hit. The base recharge speed exceeds 3 minutes. Rune grants +5% resist and +2.5% defense against all, and if you are defeated, revives you with 50% of your health and 25% of your endurance and grants invulnerability for 5 seconds.

Edited by CrusaderDroid
Changed set name to Primal Forces. Also reduced Light of Linila's resist debuff from 30% to 15%.
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Anyone can tear something down. The true talent is building it back up again, better than before.

I figured it might be a good idea to hop on the Discord just in case something interesting popped up. Sure enough - a desire for a pistol control set! Enter Trick Shot, the dual pistol answer to Arsenal Control.

Trick Shot is mostly themed around sharpshooting like a cowboy movie. Bullets aren't really a great way to non-lethally control someone and pistols don't have the space to accommodate grenade launchers and flamethrowers, so I figured it would be more sensible to prioritize damage over CC duration.

Let me know what you think - control sets are really tricky.

---

Trick Shot

Disarm and disable opponents with swift and precise aim from your pistols.

Trick Shot powers have short recharge times but trend towards low duration. They have better damage than average on account of shooting people with guns, although nowhere near a ranged set's damage.

Tier 1: Disarm - Blasts the weapon out of a target's hand, sharply cutting their damage and dealing some damage. Might also terrorize.

Tier 2: Tenderfoot Dance - Fire repeatedly at the ground to immobilize enemies in an area around your target for fear of getting shot in the feet. No effect on flying enemies.

Tier 3: Hat Trick - Ricochet a bullet that can blast the hat off someone's head, striking multiple targets and knocking them down while dealing some damage.

Tier 4: Taser Rounds - Swap your current magazines with taser rounds, causing your powers to deal bonus energy damage and drain endurance on hit for a duration.

Tier 5: Gut Shot - Shoot your target in the gut. They're worse at literally everything for a duration. Deals high damage.

Tier 6: Listen Up - A loud shot in the air terrorizes enemies near you. Pretty big range.

Tier 7: Hobble Horses - Aim for the legs on every enemy in an area around your target. They take damage, are slowed, and have a chance to be immobilized and a lower chance to be held.

Tier 8: Standoff - Put yourself and target enemy in stasis for 3 seconds, then shoot your target after 3 seconds, dealing high damage, knocking down, and holding the target. Your recharge speed is significantly increased for a duration.

Tier 9: Sureshot - Unerringly fires on all targets in an area around your target, dealing damage and causing them to be held. Never misses.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Glad you like it! 

I, uh... I'm not really a fan of making anything throw up? It'd probably also require a hold so the animation plays properly, which I'm not sure I want on the power since it's already the "nerf everything" power that some buff sets get.

There was mention of a desire for Toxic Blast as a set in a thread. I figured I'd try it out myself. I came up with Venom Blast, for those characters that like poisons and snakes but don't want to be using a support set (or for Poison/Venom Defenders).

It's a little on the plain side, but I think the heavy DoT focus coupled with being a toxic damage set is unique enough to merit trying out and testing. Every power applies a resist shred for two reasons: it helps to empower the user with the idea of stacking a ton of DoTs on a target, and it means that you're always contributing even if your target is blown up before half your DoTs finish ticking.

---

Venom Blast

Overwhelm enemies with intense poisons that wear down their defenses and vitality.

Venom Blast powers do notably more damage than nearly every other set, but this damage is generally backloaded as a DoT, with lower initial damage. Venom Blast powers all apply a 2.5% resist debuff on hit.

Tier 1: Snakebite - Your typical tier 1 for a ranged set.

Tier 2: Toxic Spray - Your typical “harder hitting, longer recharge” tier 2 alternative. They can't all be crazy cool.

Tier 3: Nerve Shock - Targets their nervous system and additionally lowers their attack and to hit on top of damage.

Tier 4: Noxious Fog - Spray a cloud of concentrated poison at a target area. The cloud has a short duration, but quickly deals significant damage to enemies caught inside.

Tier 5: Aim - As usual.

Tier 6: Cobra Fangs - Twinned blasts that deal high damage and slow the target enemy.

Tier 7: Pit of Vipers - Ephemeral snakes rise up and strike all targets around your target. Inflicts a 5% toxic resist debuff on top of the normal resist debuff.

Tier 8: Spider's Touch - Sniper attack.

Tier 9: Medusa - Lash out with a blast of paralytic venom, damaging and holding all enemies around you.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/19/2024 at 7:12 AM, CrusaderDroid said:

Specifically: Look at Doctor Strange, Merlin, or that annoying Wizard in your D&D sessions. The fireball they throw is the least creative thing they can do. Their actual powerset is well beyond any accurate representation in City of Heroes right now. You can say Sorcery works, and to an extent it does, but at the end of the day you're still sitting on Fire Blast and either having to pick a rainbow of colors for your powers or accepting that this particular mage of yours is just really fire-happy.

Hence: Sorcerous Blast. Sorcerous Blast is an attempt to capture the versatility of the big name wizards of lore, bringing a diverse arsenal of effects to bear on enemies. The hope is that players that use this set feel like flashy archmages throwing around lots of power.

Mechanically, I wanted an incentive to take all of the powers, and I didn't want to lose a power to Aim or an equivalent. The rune system thus wants you to use all of your powers frequently, which means you get to show off your fancy particle effects on top of building up power with each use. This kind of gradual buildup, and especially the unlocking of new capabilities, isn't found anywhere else currently.

All listed numbers are open to change. Any missing numbers aren't as important to me as the underlying idea, and can be filled in later if this ever gets to beta testing.

Let me know what you think and what you like or don't like. I'm still learning the intricacies of CoH power design, so I'm open to feedback.

Shout out to @Drow2100for giving me the inspiration.

Sorcerous Blast

Weave together many different elements to empower yourself and overwhelm your enemies’ defenses.

All Sorcerous Blast powers grant you a rune that increases your stats for 1 minute. Each rune stacks with runes from other powers, but not itself. All runes increase your damage by 5%, with each individual rune granting its own additional bonus. Rune buffs are unenhanceable.

(Alternative animations would allow the runes to instead be visually represented by binary code, or outright excised for minimal FX.)

Tier 1: Bolt of Barathus - A single, swift bolt of fire that deals moderate fire damage, with a chance to inflict damage over time. Low recharge time. Rune grants a chance to deal very minor fire damage on hit, triggering about 4 times a minute.

Tier 2: Waters of Wiolathe - A burst of water underneath a target with a chance to knock down, dealing moderate smashing and cold damage. Moderate recharge time. Rune grants +10% recharge speed and +5% endurance cost reduction.

Tier 3: Storm of Ssrinath - Strike a target with lightning, shocking all enemies around them for heavy electric damage, draining endurance, and applying a penalty to endurance recovery. Very long recharge for its tier. Rune grants +5% to hit and a chance to deal light electric damage on hit, triggering 3 times a minute.

Tier 4: Rumblings of Rorg - Target area becomes the epicenter of an earthquake, continually dealing smashing damage and slowing enemies inside for a duration and attempting to knock them down every 3 seconds. Very long recharge. Rune grants +5% resist to all damage.

Tier 5: Cloak of Corrocan - Sweep darkness around you, dealing negative energy damage in an area around you and lowering the accuracy and perception of enemies hit. Rune grants +50% regeneration and recovery and stealth.

Tier 6: Ice of Illae - Chilling cold winds strike a cone for light cold damage, applying a long-lasting slow and cold resist debuff. Very short recharge, but the damage is lower than most tier 1 powers. Rune grants +5% endurance cost reduction and +2.5% defense to all attacks as well as 50% increased run and fly speed. 

Tier 7: Hurricane of Haloreth - Intense winds hurl an enemy hilariously high into the air, dealing smashing damage and grounding the target. Long recharge. Rune grants +10% recharge speed and the ability to hover.

Tier 8: Light of Linila - Piercing beam of light briefly debuffs the target's energy resist by about 30% before dealing high energy damage. Moderately long recharge. Rune grants +50% regeneration and recovery and +5% recharge speed and a chance to deal bonus energy damage on hit, triggering about 2 times per minute.

Tier 9: Gate - Tear open a localized portal at your location and cause spirits to flood out and strike at all enemies in an unfairly wide range around you, dealing high negative energy damage and attempting to terrorize all targets hit. The base recharge speed exceeds 3 minutes. Rune grants +5% resist and +2.5% defense against all, and if you are defeated, revives you with 50% of your health and 25% of your endurance and grants invulnerability for 5 seconds.

If you want a multi-element set that has magic themed animations? I'll support you. If you insist on calling it Sorcerous Blast, Magic Blast, Arcane Blast, Mystic Blast, or anything else of that nature while having magic-themed power names and magic themed animations, I oppose it. As has been stated in other threads, I can support a Primal Forces set, a Chaos set, or anything else that is not so overtly specifically magic but still uses magic animations, but not a strictly magic power set.

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

On 3/19/2024 at 9:12 AM, CrusaderDroid said:

Sorcerous Blast is an attempt to capture the versatility of the big name wizards of lore, bringing a diverse arsenal of effects to bear on enemies.

Looking at your proposed set, what I see is a mixture of different damage types and debuffs, with a lot of fancy names.  I'll ask the same question I've posed in various other such threads - what, specifically, makes this set "magic"?  If it's the animations, then those could be added to or expanded upon for every powerset.  If, ultimately, what you're after, is a set that deals a bunch of different damage types along with a smorgasbord of secondary effects, then propose that.  To shoehorn in a specific origin is just counterproductive...

• Like 1

Hence: Sorcerous Blast. Sorcerous Blast is an attempt to capture the versatility of the big name wizards of lore, bringing a diverse arsenal of effects to bear on enemies.

20 minutes ago, biostem said:

Looking at your proposed set, what I see is a mixture of different damage types and debuffs, with a lot of fancy names.  I'll ask the same question I've posed in various other such threads - what, specifically, makes this set "magic"?  If it's the animations, then those could be added to or expanded upon for every powerset.

He starts off stating that it's an attempt to capture the versatility of wizards and bringing a diverse arsenal of effects.

You recognize that it's a mixture of different damage types and debuffs... then immediately go to your same old question of "what makes it magic?" and follow up by questioning the if it's the animations and how those could be added to anything.

Are you intentionally ignoring what people say just to reiterate that question at every opportunity?  I'll give you a good answer to it:  nothing will make any powerset magic, because magic isn't real.  The best we can hope for is something that simulates a look and feel of magic but could also be used in a non-magical way by people that don't want to use the Magic origin.

Saying that magic animations could be added to other powersets does not accomplish what anyone who has proposed a magic-themed powerset has suggested; all it would do is allow people to use those other powersets like a spellcaster but they would still be limited to a specialty.  Hey, you chose fire blast for your wizard... you're a fire specialist.  She chose dark blast for her witch, that makes her some kind of necro specialist.  Ice blast?  Winter mage.  Assault Rifle?  Sure... go ahead and add spellcasting animations to assault rifle just because I want to see how that looks.  But it still lacks the overall diversity that embodies wizards of all manner of mediums from fantasy RPGs and movies to comic book sorcerers.  It is NOT about just the animations... but the animations are also a strong part of the idea... so it's better to have a new and unique powerset with the spellcasting animations that can have more generic options added for people that would want to use the set without being locked into the Magic origin.  Also, it would be arguably easier to add generic animations to one new powerset than it would be to add alternate spellcasting animations to every other powerset.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

If you want a multi-element set that has magic themed animations? I'll support you. If you insist on calling it Sorcerous Blast, Magic Blast, Arcane Blast, Mystic Blast, or anything else of that nature while having magic-themed power names and magic themed animations, I oppose it. As has been stated in other threads, I can support a Primal Forces set, a Chaos set, or anything else that is not so overtly specifically magic but still uses magic animations, but not a strictly magic power set.

Sure, okay. It's just a name. I'm more attached to the flashy effects and the versatility and the overall gameplay feel of the set than I am to the exact name of the set. No need to thumbs down over a name.

What name would you think is best, then? Primal Forces sounds like a good start.

14 minutes ago, biostem said:

I'll ask the same question I've posed in various other such threads - what, specifically, makes this set "magic"? 

Primarily the diversity in effects and the constant ramping power, pretty much. Your typical spellcaster in most media that isn't locked into one element generally has a bunch of cool tricks up their sleeve. I wanted that to carry through.

17 minutes ago, biostem said:

If, ultimately, what you're after, is a set that deals a bunch of different damage types along with a smorgasbord of secondary effects, then propose that.

I did! I'm not actually picky about animations, although this one is pretty easy to shoehorn in with existing animations, which is definitely a point in its favor. I'm more interested in seeing the mechanics and feel of the set.

19 minutes ago, biostem said:

To shoehorn in a specific origin is just counterproductive...

I'm not sure why it's counterproductive? Because someone might disagree it's not really a magic set? Because people might not tie in magic with Technology or Science, like in Shin Megami Tensei, or with Mutation, like Scarlet Witch, or with Natural, like all the xianxia cultivation shenanigans? Okay, fine, they disagree. We can talk about what else to call it. I'm alright with that. I care more about the mechanics being pushed - the name can be anything. You have any suggestions along those lines?

17 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Are you intentionally ignoring what people say just to reiterate that question at every opportunity?  I'll give you a good answer to it:  nothing will make any powerset magic, because magic isn't real.  The best we can hope for is something that simulates a look and feel of magic but could also be used in a non-magical way by people that don't want to use the Magic origin.

You are missing the point;  The CoT is an entire magical group.  They use regular powers, but it's their appearance and the environments they are frequently found in that give said group a magical vibe.  If you took away the rune/glyph/magic circle effects from the sorcery set, it could pass for anything.  The point is that, outside of the visuals, this set need not be magic.  None of the other mainline primary or secondary sets are explicitly magic.  It is this stubborn notion that we "need" a magic set, when in fact any set can be if you choose that origin and apply various auras.  Why not call this an elementalist set, or a mixed-energy set?  Why not make any magic runes/circles/glyphs optional animations available to all powers?  And, OMG!  Magic isn't real!?  Gee golly I'm glad you're here with your big brain to tell us that!

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

19 minutes ago, CrusaderDroid said:

I'm not sure why it's counterproductive? Because someone might disagree it's not really a magic set? Because people might not tie in magic with Technology or Science, like in Shin Megami Tensei, or with Mutation, like Scarlet Witch, or with Natural, like all the xianxia cultivation shenanigans? Okay, fine, they disagree. We can talk about what else to call it. I'm alright with that. I care more about the mechanics being pushed - the name can be anything. You have any suggestions along those lines?

So what if we make your proposed "many different effects" set and then give the player magic animations for it, and also tech animations, and then some animations that look more generic (for mutants or aliens or whatever).

Now, instead of a set that only works for one origin you've got one that can work with any origin. Wouldn't that be preferable to a magic or "wizards only" powerset?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Just now, PeregrineFalcon said:

So what if we make your proposed "many different effects" set and then give the player magic animations for it, and also tech animations, and then some animations that look more generic (for mutants or aliens or whatever).

Now, instead of a set that only works for one origin you've got one that can work with any origin. Wouldn't that be preferable to a magic or "wizards only" powerset?

(Alternative animations would allow the runes to instead be visually represented by binary code, or outright excised for minimal FX.)

Now I'm not picky about animations or names, but I did think about this. I wish people read the whole thing instead of seeing red at "Sorcerous".

I really don't care what it looks like. I just want a versatile-feeling set for those "archmage" fans. If it works out for Inspector Gadget But From A Gritty Universe, I'm okay with that too. Right now you don't have that kind of generalist option for powers unless you pick, ironically, the tech options.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CrusaderDroid said:

I really don't care what it looks like. I just want a versatile-feeling set for those "archmage" fans. If it works out for Inspector Gadget But From A Gritty Universe, I'm okay with that too. Right now you don't have that kind of generalist option for powers unless you pick, ironically, the tech options.

Storm blast deals smashing, cold, and energy damage.  Pair it with a secondary set that has some additional elements, then an APP or PPP with yet another, (like dark or fire), and you're pretty well covered.  The point isn't the powers, but the way they are being sold to the community;  Why offer a set that shuts down other origins right out the gate?

Edited by biostem
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, biostem said:

Storm blast deals smashing, cold, and energy damage.  Pair it with a secondary set that has some additional elements, then an APP or PPP with yet another, (like dark or fire), and you're pretty well covered.  The point isn't the powers, but the way they are being sold to the community;  Why offer a set that shuts down other origins right out the gate?

This overvalues the damage type over the theme and effects, and requires lining up three power picks instead of one. I don't think that's a fit for the hypothetical audience of the set I'm proposing, since Storm Blast is pretty firmly centered around...well, storms, especially with Supercell.

I am all ears for a better name. Do you have any suggestions for a better name so we can move on from this to discussing its mechanical merits?

1 hour ago, CrusaderDroid said:

Now I'm not picky about animations or names, but I did think about this. I wish people read the whole thing instead of seeing red at "Sorcerous".

Good luck with that.  😄

Some people are perfectly happy rationalizing tech stuff like Robotics, Devices, Traps, guns, etc as working just fine with the magical origin... but propose something with a decidedly magical look to it and suddenly their minds are locked in on "MUST BE MAGIC ORIGIN AND THAT MAKES IT BAD!!" mentality.

Don't bother trying to appease this very vocal minority because it will never happen.  Just present your idea(s) and maybe others will like it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, biostem said:

You are missing the point;  The CoT is an entire magical group.  They use regular powers, but it's their appearance and the environments they are frequently found in that give said group a magical vibe.  If you took away the rune/glyph/magic circle effects from the sorcery set, it could pass for anything.  The point is that, outside of the visuals, this set need not be magic.  None of the other mainline primary or secondary sets are explicitly magic.  It is this stubborn notion that we "need" a magic set, when in fact any set can be if you choose that origin and apply various auras.  Why not call this an elementalist set, or a mixed-energy set?  Why not make any magic runes/circles/glyphs optional animations available to all powers?  And, OMG!  Magic isn't real!?  Gee golly I'm glad you're here with your big brain to tell us that!

No, YOU are missing the point.  CoT is a decidedly very specific magical group... with members specializing in dark or other effects, but no one possessing a variety of effects under one powerset.  I can't play CoT's kind of magical diversity as a single character because their differing effects come in the form of different NPCs for each kind of magic they can use.

IT IS NOT JUST ABOUT THE ANIMATIONS/VISUAL EFFECTS... so get over that and try asking a new question.  You're too stuck on that like Rudra is on magic look must be Magic origin.

Edited by Player2

1 hour ago, CrusaderDroid said:
3 hours ago, Rudra said:

Sure, okay. It's just a name. I'm more attached to the flashy effects and the versatility and the overall gameplay feel of the set than I am to the exact name of the set. No need to thumbs down over a name.

What name would you think is best, then? Primal Forces sounds like a good start.

Let's run with your proposal as basis:

Primal Forces

T1 Fire Blast

T2 Water Blast

T3 Lightning Bolt

T4 Tremor

T5 Chill of the Night (From Spectral Demon Lords since they already have the effect you describe)

T6 Frost Breath (Or Ice Cone or whatever)

T7 Upgust (Just renamed Lift basically)

T8 Energy Beam (Though I'm not sure you can get away with a massive damage resist debuff for the attack's type built into the attack before the damage is applied. That's OP.)

T9 Primal Spirit (Though I'm not sure you can get a pet in a blast set)

The animations can be magic based since the set has to have something for animations, especially since Demon Summoning sets the precedent for magic themed set animations. However, at least this way, the set is not specifically tied to a single origin out of the five we can choose.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Why does it have to have animations for every type of origin?  Magic specific animations as a base... and generic animations for everyone else.  It's not like the tech themed powersets offer origin-specific options for every other origin, so you seem to be insisting something that doesn't apply anywhere else just for the sake of trying to naysay the whole idea.

2 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Primal Forces

T1 Fire Blast

T2 Water Blast

T3 Lightning Bolt

T4 Tremor

T5 Chill of the Night (From Spectral Demon Lords since they already have the effect you describe)

T8 Energy Beam (Though I'm not sure you can get away with a massive damage resist debuff for the attack's type built into the attack before the damage is applied. That's OP.)

The animations can be magic based since the set has to have something for animations, especially since Demon Summoning sets the precedent for magic themed set animations. However, at least this way, the set is not specifically tied to a single origin out of the five we can choose.

The fact that you want to call it Primal Forces makes me want it to be called Magical Blast.

There are magic-sounding terms that do not implicitly require it to be tied to the Magic origin any more than Robotics powerset need be tied to the Technology origin.  Arcane works fine... as does Mystic.  These are terms that lend to the feel of a magical theme, but can be viewed in non-magic ways.  For example, the Force in Star Wars movies has a very Arcane or Mystic nature but is implicitly and explicitly not magic.  Stop getting hung up on origin.

1 hour ago, biostem said:

YOU are interpreting it that way.  Mutant robots:  fine.  Magical guns?  fine.  Natural traps/devices?  Noooooo problem.

But magical look and feel with the option to apply Mutation, Natural, Science, or Technology option makes your brain shut down.  That's your issue; stop trying to make it everyone else's.

2 minutes ago, CrusaderDroid said:

@Player2I appreciate the defense, but please drop it? I don't want this thread to turn into a back and forth war and get locked.

I'll drop it when they drop it.

They insist on making the same stale and sometimes inane arguments over and over and even if they're asked to drop it, they never do.

6 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Primal Forces

T1 Fire Blast

T2 Water Blast

T3 Lightning Bolt

T4 Tremor

I like Primal Forces. I'll edit this in as soon as I get home.

I don't think a short resist drop before hitting is OP if it only has enough time for that hit and isn't a high damage hit by itself to begin with. I guess it's a numbers thing. I'll see if I can find a better effect.

Thanks for your feedback! 

Just now, Player2 said:

I'll drop it when they drop it.

They insist on making the same stale and sometimes inane arguments over and over and even if they're asked to drop it, they never do.

You can have it out in a different thread then. Please let me use my thread for my suggestions.

• Like 2