Macro issue...

This is essentially the macro I use to go from Human to dwarf : powexec_toggle_on White Dwarf$$goto_tray 6

So, here's a problem I run into every now and then - the tray will change, but I remain in human form. 

Here's the macro to go back to human form: powexec_toggle_off White Dwarf$$goto_tray 1

And, every now and then, I'll go back to human form, but the tray remains at tray 6. 

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? It's not a constant issue, just every so often. 

36 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Try reversing the order.  IIRC, macros do the commands backwards.  So try goto_tray 6$$powexec_toggle_on White Dwarf.  Alternatively, you can hit your bind or macro twice.

This, took me a while too when I first got into binds to figure out they read them backwards annoyingly XD

- Lauci x

I can't seem to find the source guide anymore, but I copy/pasted this excerpt about how to arrange macro commands into my personal Google sheet of CoH stuff. I don't know if the info is 100% accurate but it seems to line up with how most people arrange working macros for the game. It attempts to explain why we arrange macros the way we do with a little more comprehensible detail, and could be helpful as a guideline when one is unsure of how to compose macros containing several different types of commands.

The order or sequence in which you arrange command types in your bind strings is crucial for the proper operation of your bind. Of course, arranging your bind commands in the order I am about to suggest is not, usually, a rule set in stone.

All commands in a bind string are executed from left to right (>), but power commands are activated from right to left (<). This means that the first command (from the left) in a bind string will be read and executed first, and the last (far right) command will be read and executed by the game last.

However, Powexec commands in the bind string will be activated in reverse order (from right to left). This is because powers interrupt each other when executed in a series. Text strings, emotes, movement (for non-interruptible powers) and so on will not interrupt a power before it is activated, nor will deactivating toggle powers.

Taking this notion that commands can interrupt or cancel other commands into consideration, we can determine a preferred order or parsing in which to write and arrange commands in bind strings.

The following is an example bind with the preferred parsing:

/bind Y "+forward$$CC 0$$team I am ready now, $target.$$emote thumbsup$$powexec_auto Gash$$powexec_name Dark Blast$$powexec_name Fly$$bind_load_file C:\[file location]\ready.txt"

Rewriting the bind above using the command types would look like this:

/bind Y "MOVEMENT commands$$MISCELLANEOUS commands$$TEXT commands$$EMOTE commands$$AUTO-FIRE commands$$CLICK POWER commands$$TOGGLE POWER commands$$FILE LOADING commands"

Prefixes (such as + and -) or commands that contain prefixes (such as +forward and -down) that define a bind string as a "toggle key bind" must be placed first in the bind string so that the "toggle key" function will be activated. If the "toggle key" function is not desired, then the commands that contain prefixes, such as Movement commands, may be placed anywhere in the bind string.

Next come Text and Miscellaneous commands because they take no time to execute. These are placed near the beginning to minimize their interference with other commands, but really can be placed anywhere in the bind string.

Then Emotes are executed because their animations take time to process. Keep in mind, however, that movement commands cancel out the animations of emotes (as do the animations of powers when activated). The game can not process or combine multiple animations simultaneously, so it provides a hierarchy that determines which animations are executed and in what sequence. First come animations of powers, then come movement animations, and then come emotes (which are often simply cancelled out).

After this come auto-fire commands so they do not interfere with click or toggle power execution (these are placed last in the power activation sequence, which means they are placed first before other power commands in the bind string).

Next come click power commands because no toggle power command will activate after a click power has activated (think power activation sequence).

Then come toggle power commands. These come after click power commands in the bind string so they will activate first.

Finally, File Loading commands (such as "bind_load_file") execute last, after all of the other commands. This ensures that the other commands in the bind string are executed before the new text bind (with new bind commands) is loaded and attempts to execute.

Remember, the very first command from the left is the command that will be read and executed first, even if power commands are activated in reverse sequence.

So if you're still with me, the main takeaway according to classic knowledge is clear: Put all your instant, invisible commands at the front of your macro, and power activations after those, according to the order explained in the guide, and everything will run smoothly. The thing is, neither of the commands in OP's macro should interfere with each other at all, and therefore should be able to go anywhere in the macro string. There is only one misc. command and one power command, thus it is both read and executed from left to right.

I just used OP's command order on my PB, and was able to both toggle forms and swap trays seamlessly in rapid succession. I switched back to the traditional order and same deal. There is another explanation as to why the goto_tray command gets eaten in some people's macros - it might not have anything to do with a required command order, but I couldn't tell you exactly what it is. Some people have claimed that the game is old and just hiccups on certain commands sometimes, especially when you are pressing a lot of keys and/or macros successively.  Maybe another macro guru will come by and chime in because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

@dungeoness and @eloora on Excelsior

<Federation of United Cosmic Knights>

• 2 weeks later
On 3/1/2024 at 9:30 PM, Dungeoness Eloora said:

I can't seem to find the source guide anymore, but I copy/pasted this excerpt about how to arrange macro commands into my personal Google sheet of CoH stuff. I don't know if the info is 100% accurate but it seems to line up with how most people arrange working macros for the game. It attempts to explain why we arrange macros the way we do with a little more comprehensible detail, and could be helpful as a guideline when one is unsure of how to compose macros containing several different types of commands.

So if you're still with me, the main takeaway according to classic knowledge is clear: Put all your instant, invisible commands at the front of your macro, and power activations after those, according to the order explained in the guide, and everything will run smoothly. The thing is, neither of the commands in OP's macro should interfere with each other at all, and therefore should be able to go anywhere in the macro string. There is only one misc. command and one power command, thus it is both read and executed from left to right.

I just used OP's command order on my PB, and was able to both toggle forms and swap trays seamlessly in rapid succession. I switched back to the traditional order and same deal. There is another explanation as to why the goto_tray command gets eaten in some people's macros - it might not have anything to do with a required command order, but I couldn't tell you exactly what it is. Some people have claimed that the game is old and just hiccups on certain commands sometimes, especially when you are pressing a lot of keys and/or macros successively.  Maybe another macro guru will come by and chime in because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for answering, I will keep it in my mind. I know that in your college journey, sometimes the research paper can be a headache for some people. It is easy to collect data, but putting that together to make a good research paper is a big task. If you are also in a situation like this, then https://lastminutewriting.com/research-paper could be your true friend in your journey. This is a recommendation from me, a PHD student.

Thanks for answering, I will keep it in my mind.

Edit: It is very helpful, you made my day.

Edited by MargariteCarnahan

I'll add one thing to what the others have said. Sometimes, the game can get hung up on a macro if you're in the middle of an animation. Normally, this would have the opposite effect of what you're describing (The tray would change but you wouldn't change form) but it's something to look out for. 

You wanna play Peacebringer?😒  Fine, but at least check out this guide first: Peacebringers STILL SUCK!!! (v. 1.1)

2 minutes ago, Timeshadow said:

I'll add one thing to what the others have said. Sometimes, the game can get hung up on a macro if you're in the middle of an animation. Normally, this would have the opposite effect of what you're describing (The tray would change but you wouldn't change form) but it's something to look out for. 

I have my form-shifting macros configured such that the trays always change, but occasionally the form does not toggle off. I address this by putting the Nova/Dwarf toggles in the "human form" tray. This requires an extra click/button press to detoggle, but it is right there.

FWIW, I only keep the rapid-recharging powers in the human tray (the one that gets replaced by Nova/Dwarf). The longer recharge human-form powers I may want to use are in a separate tray so I can keep an eye on them.