Cheapest computer to run ultra settings 30fps or 60fps using high

Laptop or very tiny computer

Found this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0CQRSYJR5

But being portable is most important which means the laptop type

Using integrated graphics would make the search much easier

Has anyone run this under integrated graphics with decent settings?  Which processor?

The ryzen 4500u can handle this game well on its integrated chip but would like something much less expensive

10 hours ago, Chaos Ex Machina said:

Found this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0CQRSYJR5

But being portable is most important which means the laptop type

Using integrated graphics would make the search much easier

Has anyone run this under integrated graphics with decent settings?  Which processor?

The ryzen 4500u can handle this game well on its integrated chip but would like something much less expensive

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

12 hours ago, Chaos Ex Machina said:

I needed the same solution... but a couple of things to consider.

• heat: 
    • that fanless mini in your link may thermal throttle.  (not sure because i do not have experience with one).
    • laptops get very hot.  unless it is more of a gaming laptop.
  • screen size for laptop:
    • my laptop screen is 17 inches, and still has a cramped viewing area.  i would not want anything smaller.

That guide link above is great for processor/graphics selection.  One of the best guides which have ever read on the subject.

My solution was upgrading and modding my 2014 laptop.... that gets close to your goal (but not quite).  20-25 FPS ultra varies w/map; 45-60 FPS on Quality settings.

(the exact same laptop goes on ebay between $50-$100, just looked).

Please do not consider this option unless you like to tinker and have some time, to make it work.  About $75-$100 for parts).

• AMD 4 core/4 thread (holds 2.095 Ghz when ramped up).
  • lightweight operating system. linux mint xsfd.
  • sata ssd
  • 16 GB
  • old laptop so has a deep case, so removed dvd drive and installed a secondary heat pipe/sink fan.
  • modern laptops have a slim case and am unsure if this could even be done if they had a dvd drive which you could remove.

WIN_20240302_11_17_10_Pro - Copy.jpg

Edited by shortguy on indom
gnarly laptop photo added. lol.

PvP Capture the Flag!  Bring some fun into it....

• Game Master
Posted (edited)
On 3/1/2024 at 10:16 PM, Chaos Ex Machina said:

Ryzen 3's with Integrated Graphics run City of Heroes just as well as the 4500U.  Only real difference is a boost in the graphics clock and a couple more processing units for texture fills.

It's not hard to find a Ryzen 3 system on Amazon south of $400.  Like this fella.  https://www.amazon.com/HP-Laptop-Memory-Natural-14-fq0033dx/dp/B0B9DMZVV2/

Why so cheap?

• Last's Generations Final Farewell.  Ryzen 3 3250U (same as the 4500U) is in the Zen/Zen+ architecture, and Zen 2/3 along with it are on their way out (making room for Zen 4 to replace it.)
  • HP has newer models of this laptop which use Zen 3 processors and graphics.  Haven't seen too many Zen 4 processors arrive yet from them, and the few I have are all north of $500.
  • Plastic all the way.  Expect to buy a laptop bag or a well-cushioned backpack with a laptop pocket to keep it safe.  It is vulnerable to drops and crushing.
Edited by GM Tock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

• Game Master
Posted (edited)

Only caution I'll give: Intel doesn't like labeling their bottom end graphics on store shelves or marketing materials in most listings.  You'll have to look up the processor number that comes with it and visit ark.intel.com to see what it can do.

Intel Xe - Good

Integrated graphics on the last two lines (12th and 13th Gen, or Alder Lake and Raptor Lake for the Intel fans), Intel Iris Xe and Intel Xe will be systems to look out for.  Intel UHD Graphics are a toss-up.  They may play the game... or they may have really bad performance.  Depends on what the processor is: they stack the worse-performing graphics on Core 3/Core i3 and Intel Processors (formerly Pentium/Celeron) and the cheaper Core i5/Core 5 systems with less than four physical cores.  The midrange and overclocked Core i5/Core 5 lines and Core i7/Core 7 and higher (yes, I'm doing the 2 names per product on purpose) generally have better integrated graphics and Xe Graphics appears in 12th Gen+.  (Assuming from OP, cheap is still the word, so Core i9/Core 9 Ultra is out of the question.)

Discrete Cards from Intel

If you're getting a laptop with Intel Arc, know that its a discrete graphics chip.  Arc A500 and A700 lines players have reported work pretty well on City of Heroes. (Haven't tried it myself.  I can only get my hands on business-class Intel hardware in my other life, so I know Xe works well enough to consider if Ryzen isn't your preference.)

The Present & Future

14th Gen (Raptor Lake Refresh) is kind of a mess now, as it was supposed to be when Intel had their new processor names take effect:

Core 3, Core 5, Core 7... and Core 5 Ultra, Core 7 Ultra, and Core 9 Ultra.  In English: Core 3s will never have Ultra variants, and Core 9 processors are always Ultra.  Core 5 and Core 7 could be either.  Also not quite clear what "Ultra" means save for pricing differences.

For now, they're sticking to the prior i-numbers for desktop processors.  Why?  No idea.  And there's not many clues until the new processors release sometime soon (they were slated for 1Q 2024, so any moment now...)

What is clear, Intel is resetting the "Gen" counter, so when the new processor numbers are released, it'll be "Series 1".  With "Series 2", "Series 3", etc. being subsequent annular releases.

No Good

Systems to avoid: Intel Iris Graphics (no Xe letters: older generation, discontinued even at the driver level) and Intel HD Graphics (same).  Discrete Graphics, Arc A300 laptops and desktops with the graphic card are going to have middling to low performance (because Arc A380 is meant for video/presentation support over gaming.)

Edited by GM Tock

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.