Gravity/Dark/?

Toxilicus

Well, thank you for another Alt you gave me an idea for.  Anyway here is something I whipped up that should work for a basic leveling power selection.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 49 Magic Controller

Primary Power Set: Gravity Control

Secondary Power Set: Darkness Affinity

Power Pool: Teleportation

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leadership

Ancillary Pool: Primal Forces Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Lift -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Twilight Grasp -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Gravity Distortion -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Tar Patch -- Empty(A)

Level 6: Propel -- Empty(A)

Level 8: Crushing Field -- Empty(A)

Level 10: Darkest Night -- Empty(A)

Level 12: Teleport -- Empty(A)

Level 14: Recall Friend -- Empty(A)

Level 16: Shadow Fall -- Empty(A)

Level 18: Gravity Distortion Field -- Empty(A)

Level 20: Fade -- Empty(A)

Level 22: Hasten -- Empty(A)

Level 24: Howling Twilight -- Empty(A)

Level 26: Wormhole -- Empty(A)

Level 28: Soul Absorption -- Empty(A)

Level 30: Maneuvers -- Empty(A)

Level 32: Singularity -- Empty(A)

Level 35: Tactics -- Empty(A)

Level 38: Dark Servant -- Empty(A)

Level 41: Conserve Power -- Empty(A)

Level 44: Temp Invulnerability -- Empty(A)

Level 47: Power Boost -- Empty(A)

Level 49: [Empty]

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Containment

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Health -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- Empty(A)

------------

Dimention Shift and Black Hole are the same power, so if you want to take a Intangible you can just pick one.  I didn't pick a level 49 power as I am not sure.  Howling twilight is a nice -Regen power, but you need someone dead for it to work.  I took it later because there are a few more needed powers earlier on.  Your basic opening is going to be Grav Dist, Lift, Propel for damage.  Then for more groups you can lock things down with Crushing Field and then lay down a Tar patch and Darkest night for the debuffs.

That is what I got right off the bat.  Slotting well, that takes time and you don't really need it right away, unless you farm 1-50 in 2 hours.

Dimention Shift and Black Hole are the same power, so if you want to take a Intangible you can just pick one.  I didn't pick a level 49 power as I am not sure.  Howling twilight is a nice -Regen power, but you need someone dead for it to work.  I took it later because there are a few more needed powers earlier on.  Your basic opening is going to be Grav Dist, Lift, Propel for damage.  Then for more groups you can lock things down with Crushing Field and then lay down a Tar patch and Darkest night for the debuffs.

That is what I got right off the bat.  Slotting well, that takes time and you don't really need it right away, unless you farm 1-50 in 2 hours.

Skip both of these: Dimention Shift and Black Hole

They aren't worth the time unless you want an oh shit button that pisses everyone off.

Howling Twilight is pretty darn nise and the best Rez in the game, imo.  You do not need a dead person to cast it either.  Take it and love it.

• Like 1

I play where my toons are... and they are everywhere.  But Everlasting is my current main home.  Come on by my base GOLD-11404.  And, yes, most of my toons start Gold Side (Bold Side)!
If you want to make a fortune of Inf in City of Heroes, watch my guide on the Auction House.
Or come on by and visit my Discord.

I run my theme groups there and chat with Twitch viewers in voice there.
And lastly, come see my on Twitch.  City of Heroes is my main game!

Probably won't need Conserve Power with Soul Absorbtion.

Dimension Shift and Black Hole are both intangible powers but they're not the same. Dimension shift can be turned off, and teammates who enter the stationary AOE will shift into phase with the enemies and can fight them. Black Hole just parks a group for the full duration. If you want an emergency button, DS is loads better.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Skip both of these: Dimention Shift and Black Hole

They aren't worth the time unless you want an oh shit button that pisses everyone off.

Howling Twilight is pretty darn nise and the best Rez in the game, imo.  You do not need a dead person to cast it either.  Take it and love it.

Or keep Dimension Shift and learn when to use it.  Using it on every mob might protect you but it will upset someone.

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.”

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Roaming Everlasting as the Peacebringer Ganymedean.

I've been messing around with Gravity and Dark on the test server, and it's a very potent combination.

it'll take some time to get going, and Gravity is extremely rough between levels 8 and 26, because Gravity Distortion Field and Dimension Shift aren't great powers (especially the latter).  After that it'll smooth out, though.

The core of your controls are going to come from Wormhole and Howling Twilight, which is an -extremely- potent combo.  Both powers are AoE stuns, with the latter being an auto-hit stun that also has -500% regeneration tacked onto it.  Once you get into the endgame, especially with Power Boost from Primal Forces Mastery more that doubling the duration of each Stun (on on top of what you get from enhancements, you will be able to keep an entire group of +4's locked down permanently.

Dark Servant has eccentricities that you can take advantage of when building.  First off, it's not considered a pet nor a damage power, despite acting like both.  You can heal and buff it like a pet, but curiously it's considered a "Special Range Debuff."  So, with that in mind, something you'll want to do with Dark Servant is slot it with every damage proc you can find.  Regardless of what kind of damage proc it is, it will have a chance to trigger of the Dark Servant does anything (e.g. the damage procs from the Hold enhancement sets can trigger even when the Dark Servant does a heal).  This can turn Dark Servant into a potent damage power in addition to the support and control it provides.  This is doubly important because...

Singularity is the best end-cap Control set pet out there.  It's smart, durable, flies; tough, enhances your ability to control, and can put out a surprising amount of damage (especially when Soulbound Allegiance: Chance for Build-Up is slotted).  It can easily solo bosses by itself.  Moreover, when paired up with Dark Servant's debuffs, holds, and damage, they become a pair that supports each other and can layer holds very quickly while putting out excellent damage.  Additionally, with Sudden Acceleration's: Knockback to Knockdown slotted into it, you can turn it into an additional form of AoE control.

However, it's not like Fire or Illusion where their game very much centers around the pets, your controls and debuffs are very much the stars of the show.  Also, furthermore, Power Boost + Fade is an enormous defense boost.  Out of the box, with no slots, the combo is +21% to all defenses.  Once you get going, you'll be able to hit of soft-cap defenses very easily, and with all of the -To-hit on top of that, you're not going to be touched.

Your personal damage will be pretty good as well, when slotting Gravity Distortion, Lift, and Propel with damage procs and making use of the Impact mechanic.  If you want more -Regen, you can get it from the Diamagnetic Interface.

About the only thing that Gravity / Dark doesn't boost is accuracy, but you can short that up with Kismet's +6% to-hit, Leadership, and other bonuses.

Of all the combinations I've dabbled with on Test, Gravity / Dark is the one I'm most interested in taking over to the proper servers.  You won't be disappointed!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later
On 6/27/2019 at 1:05 AM, Ghostpilot said:

I've been messing around with Gravity and Dark on the test server, and it's a very potent combination.

it'll take some time to get going, and Gravity is extremely rough between levels 8 and 26, because Gravity Distortion Field and Dimension Shift aren't great powers (especially the latter).  After that it'll smooth out, though.

The core of your controls are going to come from Wormhole and Howling Twilight, which is an -extremely- potent combo.  Both powers are AoE stuns, with the latter being an auto-hit stun that also has -500% regeneration tacked onto it.  Once you get into the endgame, especially with Power Boost from Primal Forces Mastery more that doubling the duration of each Stun (on on top of what you get from enhancements, you will be able to keep an entire group of +4's locked down permanently.

Dark Servant has eccentricities that you can take advantage of when building.  First off, it's not considered a pet nor a damage power, despite acting like both.  You can heal and buff it like a pet, but curiously it's considered a "Special Range Debuff."  So, with that in mind, something you'll want to do with Dark Servant is slot it with every damage proc you can find.  Regardless of what kind of damage proc it is, it will have a chance to trigger of the Dark Servant does anything (e.g. the damage procs from the Hold enhancement sets can trigger even when the Dark Servant does a heal).  This can turn Dark Servant into a potent damage power in addition to the support and control it provides.  This is doubly important because...

Singularity is the best end-cap Control set pet out there.  It's smart, durable, flies; tough, enhances your ability to control, and can put out a surprising amount of damage (especially when Soulbound Allegiance: Chance for Build-Up is slotted).  It can easily solo bosses by itself.  Moreover, when paired up with Dark Servant's debuffs, holds, and damage, they become a pair that supports each other and can layer holds very quickly while putting out excellent damage.  Additionally, with Sudden Acceleration's: Knockback to Knockdown slotted into it, you can turn it into an additional form of AoE control.

However, it's not like Fire or Illusion where their game very much centers around the pets, your controls and debuffs are very much the stars of the show.  Also, furthermore, Power Boost + Fade is an enormous defense boost.  Out of the box, with no slots, the combo is +21% to all defenses.  Once you get going, you'll be able to hit of soft-cap defenses very easily, and with all of the -To-hit on top of that, you're not going to be touched.

Your personal damage will be pretty good as well, when slotting Gravity Distortion, Lift, and Propel with damage procs and making use of the Impact mechanic.  If you want more -Regen, you can get it from the Diamagnetic Interface.

About the only thing that Gravity / Dark doesn't boost is accuracy, but you can short that up with Kismet's +6% to-hit, Leadership, and other bonuses.

Of all the combinations I've dabbled with on Test, Gravity / Dark is the one I'm most interested in taking over to the proper servers.  You won't be disappointed!

About to hit 50 with this combination! have by chance put together your ideal build for this combo yet? After reading your responses you have a tremendous understanding of the powersets and I think I would be hard pressed to have someone better put a build together on this!

I started up a Grav/Dark last night. It’s only level ten and already looks like it’s going to be a beast. It’s a nice change of pace from my usual Grav/Time main. It looks more debuff-heavy than Time, and you have to spend a little more time up close and personal, but with Fade and Power Boost your defenses will be softcapped, so it won’t matter overmuch aside from the repositioning.