[QoL] Big warning text for T9 crashes, as an option

You know those alerts we get in incarnate trials and the like. "INCANDESCENCE IS STORING POWER". Big red letters in the middle of your screen.

I'd love to get the same stuff, as an option, for powersets with T9 crashes. At the same moment the icon starts to blink, which I think is 10 second before the crash? Having text right in front of my character.

It gives the same functionality we currently have, with the blinking icon. But makes it more obvious for sleepyheads like me who easily miss a tiny icon lost in 30+ status effects in the corner of my screen.

• Like 3

if you know the remaining cooldown the t9 power has when the crash usually happens each time that's how I tell the crash is happening soon, that icon is much bigger and easier to glance at in the power tray its just a question of knowing if your global recharge modifier will be changing a lot

so a t9 lasts about 180 seconds has 1000 second cooldown with 0 recharge after investment the recharge be might around 300 seconds recharge so when you see the recharge for t9 is nearing 2 minutes the crash is going to happen soon, hope that makes sense (300-180 is 120 seconds or 2 minutes between the crash and being able to use the t9 again)

I am not against your request at all just giving an alternative method to use in the meantime. I personally don't feel the need for something like this but adding it wouldn't hurt anything since its just an UI accessibility change.

Edited by Mystoc
  • Like 1

What they would probably have to do to get this to work is have the power also apply a "buff" to you that has a duration slightly shorter than the actual power, and when it expires, it produces the warning message.  So let's say your T9 lasts for 3 minutes/180 seconds, this do-nothing buff would have a duration of 170 seconds, and when it expires, it simply generates a message that says "WARNING! Unstoppable will wear off in 10 seconds!", or something to that effect.  I'm not against the idea as an option, but it may require more work than is obvious.

As an aside, I wonder just how much can be done with how buff icons start to flash/blink on and off when they are about to expire, and if that could be drawn from instead, or if that is a general mechanic and would either have to produce annoying popups for all powers/buffs or whether it could be targeted...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mystoc said:

if you know the remaining cooldown the t9 power has when the crash usually happens each time that's how I tell the crash is happening soon

This is a good tip, thank you for mentioning it! I will keep this in mind and give it a go - especially as my characters tend to shoot for 100% slow resistance, so I don't have to worry about the cooldown being messed with.

1 hour ago, biostem said:

I'm not against the idea as an option, but it may require more work than is obvious.

I agree, this is my intuition as well. One of these suggestions that might not be worth implementing because of the high effort for low reward. Especially with lack of popularity of crash T9s in general.

As I've been on a T9 binge for the past... 2 years? and I pay very little attention, I've had many... adventurous... crashes. Generally several times in any play session. So I've had this suggestion idea many times, and I figured I would finally throw it out today rather than loop back to it in my head. 😅

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nihilii said:

I agree, this is my intuition as well. One of these suggestions that might not be worth implementing because of the high effort for low reward. Especially with lack of popularity of crash T9s in general.

As I've been on a T9 binge for the past... 2 years? and I pay very little attention, I've had many... adventurous... crashes. Generally several times in any play session. So I've had this suggestion idea many times, and I figured I would finally throw it out today rather than loop back to it in my head. 😅

I wonder how difficult it would be to tag a particular power that provides a self-buff, and when it's time to trigger the flashing effect that says it is about to wear off, to put a large semi-transparent icon front and center on your screen, instead of the little icon under your hp/end bars...

• Like 1

yes a visual cue letting us know a buff is about to expire would be fantastic!

rage crash gets me every time. a roar 10 seconds before the buff ends or something.

I dont wanna break immersion with tons of UI stuff

and a tiny blinking indicator is sometimes tough to see when you are deep in combat.

• Like 2

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

While I agree that crashing buffs need to be more transparent about when they are about to crash, I think coh has too much "big text spam" as-is in itrials and hard mode. I would like a different system: for the UI to display the exact duration remaining on each buff using the new color coded system for recharging powers.

• Like 1