First Dom help

Traegus

So, I'm a veteran player since live, and have never leveled a Dom (or Troller for that matter), and would like some insight. Being completely new to control as a playstyle i know i will have to learn the ropes as i go, but if someone could maybe point out some powerset options that may be more "newbie" friendly that would be great. i have always loved Gravity control conceptually, but i have a feeling that it's damage focus as opposed to strong control may not make it the best option for a learning run. so any thoughts on maybe the 3 best bets for a first timer for both primary and secondary? i'm looking for levelling here, rushing or farming to "final build" isn't my goal, i'll get there when i get there, just want to learn to play a Dom up to 50. help a guy find a training wheel combo please. 

*Quick Edit* i will probably play a lot of solo, i'll hit the TFs and such, but to fill the gaps i'll probably run radios, tips and the like.

thanks in advance.

Edited by Traegus

earth/dark

earth works super well with or without domination up and the -def is actually useful on doms (especially solo) as they by and large lack in the toht buffing department. You won't start wiffing left and right because a couple spectres are on you. The pet will hold the attention of a boss/eb while you establish control on it, which few other sets can assist with.

/dark is about as easy as it gets, but is still really good. tohit debuffs help on anything you fail to control and the self heal keeps you trucking. Powerup (gather shadows) improves just about everything this combo excels at. 

everyone talks about rushing to perma dom, but this is a combo (among some others) that still does great without it. 

• Like 2

On 3/19/2024 at 12:31 PM, MoonSheep said:

mind, plant, grav, fire primary

fire, energy, earth secondary

The posts I saw might be old, but is grav decent on doms now? Seeing it sucks is disheartening

6 hours ago, Sagenius said:

The posts I saw might be old, but is grav decent on doms now? Seeing it sucks is disheartening

it’s not too bad - has an AoE hold, a cool stun through wormhole and singularity has been updated to pull enemies in rather than repel them

mind or plant would be my two choices for the most powerful of the control sets, fire and energy for the most damaging - earth almost there too, very underrated

On 3/18/2024 at 7:30 PM, Traegus said:

So, I'm a veteran player since live, and have never leveled a Dom (or Troller for that matter), and would like some insight. Being completely new to control as a playstyle i know i will have to learn the ropes as i go, but if someone could maybe point out some powerset options that may be more "newbie" friendly that would be great. i have always loved Gravity control conceptually, but i have a feeling that it's damage focus as opposed to strong control may not make it the best option for a learning run. so any thoughts on maybe the 3 best bets for a first timer for both primary and secondary? i'm looking for levelling here, rushing or farming to "final build" isn't my goal, i'll get there when i get there, just want to learn to play a Dom up to 50. help a guy find a training wheel combo please. 

*Quick Edit* i will probably play a lot of solo, i'll hit the TFs and such, but to fill the gaps i'll probably run radios, tips and the like.

thanks in advance.

Mind/Fire (or Mind/Dark cos it gets a self heal), my first domi on live and its still one of the most team friendly/easy to solo through radio's and tips, can be bullt as expensively or cheaply as you want and requires 0 previous experience with either domi/troller or their power sets. 3 controls by lvl 4 and when your stuck soloing thats all you need. Sleep 1, hold 1, toss 1 up in the air then use the secondary to 'arrest' them. Higher levels you get tons of mob control to help out teams and domi's get some great epic/patron power picks. Really hard to go wrong.

Nothing wrong with grav although it does render a lot of your single target attacks in secondary irrelevant when you have lift/grav distortion/propel but this can be a good thing allowing you to make all sorts of interesting power picks. The pet can be mildly annoying on teams as it flings mobs around and unless you have a knockback-knockdown slotted in wormhole nobodys is going to thanks you for scattering mobs. But neither of these is a good reason not to enjoy playing the set. Its still tons of fun its just not as control friendly as the other sets unless you love chaos. And a lot of us do. 

• Like 1