Fine tuning a Dark/Dark build

Hey everyone!

After dealing my earlier bout with FOMO 😳I've got something close to a final build for my dominator.  I've been soloing with this build or something close to it for a bit and it works pretty well.  I've been soloing the Maria Jenkins arc on +2x8 fairly easily and did the last few missions with AVs turned on.  So the AVs I've taken down are Infernal (easy), Diabolique (annoying), Dominatrix (slog), Marauder (easy), and Olympian Guard (harder, probably would have been easy if Manticore hadn't decided to agro 3 groups and get me and my lore pets killed.  Ended up beating with no lore pets and no Manticore!).  

All in all, I feel pretty confident with this build, but I'm interested to know if people see anything I can do to improve it.  Some notes:

1. Flight is part of my theme, so I really don't want to change that
  2. I try to keep my chance to hit above 90% at +4 
  3. I'm using Living Shadows to mule Ragnarok.  Perhaps these slots are better used elsewhere?
  4. I'm trying to maximize DPS so my rotation goes Midnight Grasp → Smite → Gloom → Moonbeam → Smite
    1. Midnight Grasp is really only used for Chance for +Damage procs and is woven in when Smite, Gloom, and Moonbeam are all on cooldown
    2. This is why Life Drain is set up as a heal, I don't use it for DPS
    3. I do use both Haunt and Umbral Beast regularly
  5. It's EXTREAMLY endurance heavy.  My current plan has me using Intuition Radial Paragon when fighting groups of enemies and switching to Cardiac Core Paragon when fighting an AV (haven't actually tried the last part yet and I've used Intuition Radial for everything).  Any tips on solving endurance in general would be greatly appreciated
  6. I may swap the slots between Umbral Beast and Haunt to give Haunt a slightly higher recharge (it's 1 second off from completely permanent)

Thanks!

Dominator (Darkness Control - Dark Assault).mbd

On 3/22/2024 at 4:12 PM, RelativeQuanta said:

Hey everyone!

After dealing my earlier bout with FOMO 😳I've got something close to a final build for my dominator.  I've been soloing with this build or something close to it for a bit and it works pretty well.  I've been soloing the Maria Jenkins arc on +2x8 fairly easily and did the last few missions with AVs turned on.  So the AVs I've taken down are Infernal (easy), Diabolique (annoying), Dominatrix (slog), Marauder (easy), and Olympian Guard (harder, probably would have been easy if Manticore hadn't decided to agro 3 groups and get me and my lore pets killed.  Ended up beating with no lore pets and no Manticore!).  

All in all, I feel pretty confident with this build, but I'm interested to know if people see anything I can do to improve it.  Some notes:

3. I'm using Living Shadows to mule Ragnarok.  Perhaps these slots are better used elsewhere?
  4. I'm trying to maximize DPS so my rotation goes Midnight Grasp → Smite → Gloom → Moonbeam → Smite
    1. Midnight Grasp is really only used for Chance for +Damage procs and is woven in when Smite, Gloom, and Moonbeam are all on cooldown
  5. It's EXTREAMLY endurance heavy.  My current plan has me using Intuition Radial Paragon when fighting groups of enemies and switching to Cardiac Core Paragon when fighting an AV (haven't actually tried the last part yet and I've used Intuition Radial for everything).  Any tips on solving endurance in general would be greatly appreciated
  6. I may swap the slots between Umbral Beast and Haunt to give Haunt a slightly higher recharge (it's 1 second off from completely permanent)

Thanks!

Dominator (Darkness Control - Dark Assault).mbd 44.34 kB · 6 downloads

What destiny are you using?

Only things i can think of are a theft of essence proc in life drain/an end mod in stamina/recovery serums/ageless- but i don't see where you'd get the slots from.

Are you just skipping dark grasp entirely in your rotation? , the ascendancy proc will stack 2-3 times easily in that.

• Like 1

I'm running Barrier Core as my destiny.  I haven't tried running Ageless, but that's certainly a possibility, though maybe not against AVs.

I used to have Dark Grasp 6-slotted, but it didn't proc as much as Midnight Grasp which also does more dpa.  I do regularly use Dark Grasp when fighting groups to lock down any mobile bosses, but it's lower priority when I'm trying to maximize damage.  

Hmm... I could try dropping the Numina's heal enhancement for Theft of Essence

15 minutes ago, RelativeQuanta said:

I'm running Barrier Core as my destiny.  I haven't tried running Ageless, but that's certainly a possibility, though maybe not against AVs.

I used to have Dark Grasp 6-slotted, but it didn't proc as much as Midnight Grasp which also does more dpa.  I do regularly use Dark Grasp when fighting groups to lock down any mobile bosses, but it's lower priority when I'm trying to maximize damage.  

Ageless also improves your recharge rate, which is something Dominators want.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RelativeQuanta said:

The numi proc would be better in health if your removing the heal from life drain. I'd put it there anyway with the panacea+miracle. I'm not sure what difference the regen bonus is making with 2 numi pieces in, i assumed it was just there because you wanted the heal piece in. If your running barrier with 30% ranged def then yes you'll need to keep it over ageless.

I slotted my life drain with 3 thunderstrikes acc/dmg, acc/dmg/end, dmg/end, the theft proc, 2 preventetives, absorb proc and heal. But i run with 40% ranged and barrier and needed the ranged def bonus and the s/l resists to go with my epic soul shield.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meknomancer said:

The numi proc would be better in health if your removing the heal from life drain. I'd put it there anyway with the panacea+miracle. I'm not sure what difference the regen bonus is making with 2 numi pieces in, i assumed it was just there because you wanted the heal piece in. If your running barrier with 30% ranged def then yes you'll need to keep it over ageless.

I slotted my life drain with 3 thunderstrikes acc/dmg, acc/dmg/end, dmg/end, the theft proc, 2 preventetives, absorb proc and heal. But i run with 40% ranged and barrier and needed the ranged def bonus and the s/l resists to go with my epic soul shield.

Yeah, I wanted the heal enhancement and the regen bonus was just gravy.  I'm still really slot restrained.  The easiest one to give up would be from Haunt where if I match your slotting I nearly gain back.  I lose Numina's but, I think your suggestion of Theft of Essance is better.  I also really like the absorb shield, that makes it better than what I had with the extra heals.  Thanks!

Do you place a high priority on life drain or just use it as needed?

Life drain can be frankenslotted to fit into a single target attack chain. If you're soloing a lot that can help a lot because your dom will get a lot more attention from mobs (of course). There's a loss of DPS from making life drain a regular part of your single target attack chain, compared to the most damaging alternative single target attack chain. It's your call as to whether or not you find the tradeoff worth it. 

It you mostly team then you might want to reserve life drain for when you need life and endurance (with the theft of essence proc slotted); when teaming lower DPS when you're using life drain to recover life in a hurry probably won't be as noticeable as when you're soloing. Then life drain needs fewer slots, perhaps just 2 or 3 (one or two acc / heal D-Synchs plus the theft of essence proc, for example).  

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RelativeQuanta said:

Yeah, I wanted the heal enhancement and the regen bonus was just gravy.  I'm still really slot restrained.  The easiest one to give up would be from Haunt where if I match your slotting I nearly gain back.  I lose Numina's but, I think your suggestion of Theft of Essance is better.  I also really like the absorb shield, that makes it better than what I had with the extra heals.  Thanks!

Do you place a high priority on life drain or just use it as needed?

As needed. I sometimes run with resilient alpha too, i find that helps but its a loss in damage from intuition. There's so much to hit debuff you don't need the heal that often with decent ranged defence and high resists.

Or what @EnjoyTheJourneysaid. Although i havent tried that yet. I have run it fully 6 slotted with a theft proc and 5 nictus pieces, good bonuses but a lot of slots and i tend to have to give up recharge bonuses which makes me sad.

Edited by Meknomancer

8 hours ago, EnjoyTheJourney said:

Life drain can be frankenslotted to fit into a single target attack chain. If you're soloing a lot that can help a lot because your dom will get a lot more attention from mobs (of course). There's a loss of DPS from making life drain a regular part of your single target attack chain, compared to the most damaging alternative single target attack chain. It's your call as to whether or not you find the tradeoff worth it. 

It you mostly team then you might want to reserve life drain for when you need life and endurance (with the theft of essence proc slotted); when teaming lower DPS when you're using life drain to recover life in a hurry probably won't be as noticeable as when you're soloing. Then life drain needs fewer slots, perhaps just 2 or 3 (one or two acc / heal D-Synchs plus the theft of essence proc, for example).  

Thanks! I actually had it 6 slotted as an attack earlier based on one of your builds.  I only moved away when trying to maximize my dpa.  

I like the D-Synch idea, I'll try that out in addition to Mekomancer's use of preventative medicine proc.

Posted (edited)

Well, I can confirm that with Cardiac Core I don't run out of end.  Using the Midnight Grasp → Smite → Gloom → Moonbeam → Smite rotation (ish, still working on when to properly add in Midnight Grasp).  I had a pylon defeat time of 3:18, not too bad.

Edit: forgot to use pets...

Edited by RelativeQuanta

Perhaps vigor core or radial alpha incarnate would probably offer more utility, in the end. As long as cardiac core doesn't prove to be essential for endurance management, that is.

Edit: Forgot to mention that increased accuracy and greater endurance reduction from vigor can lead to more damage by allowing for more procs, while still hitting acceptable benchmarks for accuracy and endurance reduction. 

• Like 2

Vigor Alpha may be just the thing I need, thanks @EnjoyTheJourney.  I just don't have the threads or merits right now to build it out.  I've got a few other things to build out, like Hybrid Assault.  Looks like Assault Core and Radial are roughly the same (just looking at the pylon times in Koopac's clear speed leaderboard)?

While I cannot comment too much on Dark assault, as I am currently working on a build for it and do not have much expierence. I do have some for in general for Dark Control, and other dark sets, and in relation to Doms.

I think Vigor is highly undervalued on Doms. Dark can be end hungry and the end reduction is crucial for this, especially in the land of procs and perma-dom. With Doms usually not having the best end management, and the need for recharge for perma, and then adding more for DPS, I think Vigor, and the lesser extent Cardiac are big game changers for Doms.

I lean more to Vigor after a mention from @EnjoyTheJourney, which changed a lot of ways to build the 50 Dom. The ACC and END Red, are very nice to have on a Dom, that covers two things you really want aside from recharge bonuses. Making sure all your controls hit and keeping your blue bar topped up. While I know most people will usually say to lean on Domination, I think there is enough that can be done to keep a higher consistency and not depend on Domination to top up the blue.

For the life drain, I was looking at frakenslotting it with some ACC/HEAL and procs to go more DPS on my dark assault dom, but mine is more Ill/Dark then Dark/Dark, so results might be different. 

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

3 hours ago, Snokle said:

For the life drain, I was looking at frakenslotting it with some ACC/HEAL and procs to go more DPS on my dark assault dom, but mine is more Ill/Dark then Dark/Dark, so results might be different. 

I actually used to have it frankenslotted for pure damage earlier and it hits quite hard!  Average damage quoted in Mids with all the procs was around 383.  The cast time just wrecks its dpa though.   I just found I was better off using it for healing than killing things.  

I will say, that with 183% recharge, I could use it for a full ranged damage rotation with gloom and moonbeam.  That was sometimes really nice to have.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later

Loving my Dark/Dark Dom so far, she absolutely blitzes in groups! Ok solo too, though I do miss my Seeds of Confusion from my other Plant/Thorny Dom, eh.

I'm going for a pure ranged build, as much as possible, although Heart of Darkness pbaoe is too good to skip and keeps dragging me into mob packs! :)

Game over man, game over!

• 2 weeks later
On 3/22/2024 at 9:12 AM, RelativeQuanta said:

Hey everyone!

Thanks!

Dominator (Darkness Control - Dark Assault).mbd 44.34 kB · 66 downloads

I was looking around for something new to build, and saw yours. I have never built a dark/dark dom. so figured I would give it a go.

I loaded up your build and made a pass over it to tweak it for my style. not much changed.

I moved the Numina IO's from Life drain to Health.  This boosted regen by an additional 16% alone

I removed Kismet from Link minds added slot back to life drain and added 1 more Heal/Absorb/Recharge Touch of the Nictus for the added heal bonus

Haunt got a set of Soulboud Allegiance in place of the call to arms set

Boxing was switched to a +5 Absolute amazement stun IO.. This is how I Slot boxing whenever I take it.

+5 boosted the recharge IOs in Hasten and gather Shadows.

In the end I was able to sacrifice 5.25% recharge, to gain a 37% more regen, 16 more hit points, more to-hit bonus, more damage, better status resistance.  All while not utilizing mind over body or link minds.  Even with the loss of recharge, the other changes have offset any negatives and combined , Mids reported DPS numbers and bjust a little better performance overall

as far as endurance complaints go, I run Ageless core Epiphany on almost all of my builds,  I never run out of end, ever once acquired. It is always my first incarnate power to get T4,  and it is worth it.  as far as the other incarnates go

alpha= Musculature

hybrid = support

ion = judgement

interface I am going to give Cognitive a try for the confuse proc. 

Lore = Banished Pantheon for work, and one to fit my theme for play and show.

Hope this helps,

Snob Goblin 3 - Dominator (Darkness Control - Dark Assault).mbd

Edited by Mr. Apocalypse
spelling er

8 hours ago, Mr. Apocalypse said:

I was looking around for something new to build, and saw yours. I have never built a dark/dark dom. so figured I would give it a go.

I loaded up your build and made a pass over it to tweak it for my style. not much changed.

I moved the Numina IO's from Life drain to Health.  This boosted regen by an additional 16% alone

I removed Kismet from Link minds added slot back to life drain and added 1 more Heal/Absorb/Recharge Touch of the Nictus for the added heal bonus

Haunt got a set of Soulboud Allegiance in place of the call to arms set

Boxing was switched to a +5 Absolute amazement stun IO.. This is how I Slot boxing whenever I take it.

+5 boosted the recharge IOs in Hasten and gather Shadows.

In the end I was able to sacrifice 5.25% recharge, to gain a 37% more regen, 16 more hit points, more to-hit bonus, more damage, better status resistance.  All while not utilizing mind over body or link minds.  Even with the loss of recharge, the other changes have offset any negatives and combined , Mids reported DPS numbers and bjust a little better performance overall

as far as endurance complaints go, I run Ageless core Epiphany on almost all of my builds,  I never run out of end, ever once acquired. It is always my first incarnate power to get T4,  and it is worth it.  as far as the other incarnates go

alpha= Musculature

hybrid = support

ion = judgement

interface I am going to give Cognitive a try for the confuse proc. 

Lore = Banished Pantheon for work, and one to fit my theme for play and show.

Hope this helps,

Thanks!  How'd you get Mid's to place individual +5 enhancements?  I hadn't managed that which was why haste just had 50s in it (and a few other powers).  

I do like how you moved enhancements from Life Drain, though I think dropping Kismet is a mistake.  Soulbound Allegiance proc doesn't affect the caster, just the haunts.  The bonus to-hit from it in Mids is a mistake.  Although, perhaps a Gaussian Build Up proc would be better than Kismet?

18 minutes ago, RelativeQuanta said:

Hi @Snarky, this is really interesting!  How does it play?  I'd love to have a build that doesn't need the fighting pool.  Do you use fearsome stare enough to maintain stacks of +Damage from Superior Ascendancy of the Dominator?

fearsome stare is a MUST for any Dark player.  I play a lot of dark, every AT, this power is Gold.  Do i hit it EVERY time it is off cooldown?  No.  Do i lean into it as soon as I see a large group? Oh yeah.  Do I hit it again on a large group? Oh yeah.  

Trying to determine if I need to fit Haunt and Unmral Beast back in.  I really dislike pets, except in rare circumstances.  Haunt is less pet than strange ST attack.  But what could I drop to get it in? Soul Consumption?  Which is more of an O crap button on a build I try to play ranged.

The thing plays well.  Trying to determine if I like it better than Corr, and it is definitely different than that.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RelativeQuanta said:

Thanks!  How'd you get Mid's to place individual +5 enhancements?  I hadn't managed that which was why haste just had 50s in it (and a few other powers).  

I do like how you moved enhancements from Life Drain, though I think dropping Kismet is a mistake.  Soulbound Allegiance proc doesn't affect the caster, just the haunts.  The bonus to-hit from it in Mids is a mistake.  Although, perhaps a Gaussian Build Up proc would be better than Kismet?

hover mouse over enhancement when selecting and us +/- keys to increase or decrease before clicking.

I am aware the soulbound proc only affects the pets, I only placed it because I wanted the 5 IO bonus, but the Damage only IO in the set was overkill due to ED and the fact that I intend to use musculature Alpha.  I would have liked to keep the Kismet but I feel the other things are of greater benefit and in the grand scheme of things once domination is up, then the kismet 's benefit is greatly diminished. at least that's how I look at tit. could I be wrong? sure.

The build up proc would probably be a good fit in link minds, I didn't even think about that, totally slipped me. and I got to chasing slots around trying to fit for higher numbers. ..etc.

I just finished building it out on live, I need to get my incarnates done, then give it a proper workout to see what I can change up if anything.  So far I am liking it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Apocalypse said:

hover mouse over enhancement when selecting and us +/- keys to increase or decrease before clicking.

I am aware the soulbound proc only affects the pets, I only placed it because I wanted the 5 IO bonus, but the Damage only IO in the set was overkill due to ED and the fact that I intend to use musculature Alpha.  I would have liked to keep the Kismet but I feel the other things are of greater benefit and in the grand scheme of things once domination is up, then the kismet 's benefit is greatly diminished. at least that's how I look at tit. could I be wrong? sure.

The build up proc would probably be a good fit in link minds, I didn't even think about that, totally slipped me. and I got to chasing slots around trying to fit for higher numbers. ..etc.

I just finished building it out on live, I need to get my incarnates done, then give it a proper workout to see what I can change up if anything.  So far I am liking it.

The to hit buff from activating domination only lasts for 15 out of the 90 seconds that domination is active.

When calculating accuracy for powers it's best to have domination switched off so you end up getting a more accurate picture of how accuracy will be most of the time.

(I may be misreading here. But, a noticeable number of players frequenting the forum have believed that permadom meant an effectively permanent bump in their to hit, myself included for a while. That's not the case, though.)

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Snarky said:

Trying to determine if I need to fit Haunt and Unmral Beast back in.  I really dislike pets, except in rare circumstances.  Haunt is less pet than strange ST attack.  But what could I drop to get it in? Soul Consumption?  Which is more of an O crap button on a build I try to play ranged

So, I always found that the pets make good hitpoint buffers.  If they've died it usually means I need to use defense inspirations or get out of dodge (when I'm solo).  I like to think of the pets not as summons but my character actually building them out of shadows (even if the game says otherwise).  It makes them more palatable for me.  

You seem to play your dominator more as support than I do, which I find pretty interesting.  I play much more like a blaster.  

What do you think of the attached build?  I tried to rearrange your build to include both Haunt and Umbral Beast, stay completely ranged, and add a bit more DPS.  I dropped Midnight Grasp and Engulfing Darkness for the pets.  The idea is your ranged attack chain would be Dark Grasp → Moonbeam → Gloom → Umbral Torrent / Nightfall.  Haunt should hit pretty hard in this build too.  Though, I admit I took out the +Range set bonuses which may be a non-starter...

Snarky Dominator (Darkness Control - Dark Assault) 2024 v 1.1.mbd

Edited by RelativeQuanta

7 hours ago, EnjoyTheJourney said:

The to hit buff from activating domination only lasts for 15 out of the 90 seconds that domination is active.

When calculating accuracy for powers it's best to have domination switched off so you end up getting a more accurate picture of how accuracy will be most of the time.

(I may be misreading here. But, a noticeable number of players frequenting the forum have believed that permadom meant an effectively permanent bump in their to hit, myself included for a while. That's not the case, though.)

I knew about the short timing for the domination to hit.  My point was as the build stands It would be getting a to hit bump every 60 seconds while maintaining perma dom, and the 6% gained from the Kismet would be irrelevant at least from my point of view even though it is effectively permanent buff.it just feels like a waste of a slot to me.  But I had forgotten I could slip in the build up proc to that power and that it would give more opportunities to be at a greater elevated to-hit value while also taking advantage of the bump from domination.   .

1 hour ago, RelativeQuanta said:

So, I always found that the pets make good hitpoint buffers.  If they've died it usually means I need to use defense inspirations or get out of dodge (when I'm solo).  I like to think of the pets not as summons but my character actually building them out of shadows (even if the game says otherwise).  It makes them more palatable for me.  

You seem to play your dominator more as support than I do, which I find pretty interesting.  I play much more like a blaster.  

What do you think of the attached build?  I tried to rearrange your build to include both Haunt and Umbral Beast, stay completely ranged, and add a bit more DPS.  I dropped Midnight Grasp and Engulfing Darkness for the pets.  The idea is your ranged attack chain would be Dark Grasp → Moonbeam → Gloom → Umbral Torrent / Nightfall.  Haunt should hit pretty hard in this build too.  Though, I admit I took out the +Range set bonuses which may be a non-starter...

Snarky Dominator (Darkness Control - Dark Assault) 2024 v 1.1.mbd 43.4 kB · 3 downloads

I do not know where you get the idea I okay as support.  I play the Dark Corr as a Blaster and am trying to figure if Dom does more dps. Taking out the + range removes damage as it lessens cone aoe.  It also decreases ranged dps survivability.  Imo