What Is Your Reason For Choosing a Corrupter/Goals?

On 7/21/2024 at 2:13 PM, Greyhame said:
  • Controllers - the best AT for overall team mitigation, at the cost damage.  In my experience this level of mitigation is mostly redundant in today's game and Controllers don't have a damage powerset to fall back on.  Add to that - controls prevent mobs from grouping up for AoE debuffs & attacks.  Overuse of controls can actively impede a team's progress and Containment requires control.  I'm sad at what the current state of the game has done to this AT.

This is by no means universally true. While yes, there are primaries which offer low amounts of damage, Ill, Plant, and Fire are no slouches in the damage department for something offering the most team mitigation. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

Really interesting thread, this. The reason I play corruptors (and have since Live) is down to playstyle.

I hate to be in melee. Find it hard to see what I need to see. It’s just not for me. I’m an all-ranged hover blast kind of guy. 

I like blasters, but when I play them I’m wasting half of their potential damage as I’m rarely in melee range. When I play defenders, I find I probably don’t blast as much as I want to. I’m playing my own team more often than not. 

That leaves Sentinels and Corruptors. I love Sentinels but they’re very basic to play, especially when you’ve IO’d them properly. So I play Corruptors to give a bit of variation, when I want to do more than just blast. 

I am a support main in any game I can be, so I've played a LOT of corruptors, as well as defenders and controllers, and to a lesser degree masterminds.

When it comes to corruptor, it will largely depend on the support set itself. A very BUSY support set, where the set requires more time spent babying its powers, I am more likely to take it on defender and pair it with more utility-heavy blast set, OR to put it on controller.

When I discuss this with friends, I often refer to it as action economy, hearkening in a way back to tabletop games. After all, City of Heroes is a game where you will spend a lot of it flattening groups of enemies that are wiped out in one or two powers from an entire team. 

For example, I recently have been leveling up a Marine/Water defender. Through doing so, I've realized that Marine itself doesn't take up much of your action economy to do its job. Now, I'm looking at a Fire/Marine corruptor as well. But a set like Elec Affinity? Personally, I would never play it on a Corruptor, ever, because it takes so much time up.

Then, there's Controller, which I will often also pair with heavy action economy sets, because a lot of controller gameplay will boil down to 'I use one control power on this pack and then I can engage with my secondary'. I can't even begin to tell you how many team-focused Earth/* controllers I've got.

Coming back to corruptor, the core of it boils down to:

1. Do I plan on playing with a secondary that leaves me a lot of time to be BLASTIN'? If so, I'll lean to corruptor.

2. Do I plan on playing with a secondary where the difference between having defender numbers really matters?

Now, with all that said, I also find myself comparing my Corruptors to my Blasters. I like the damage of corruptors coupled with the safety of having a utility set, so if I am playing a lot with random players, I'll lean corruptor. Blasters I'll typically play if I know I'm going to be with someone else bringing the support, since having even one support really greases the wheels of a group.

When I was new to Homecoming, I joined a small SG that didn't have a lot of support.  I am adverse to playing defenders, masterminds frightened me, and controllers are to passive.  That left corruptors.  My first was Sonic/Pain and I haven't looked back since.  I also like playing against type, reason why all my defenders are offenders and my corrs are more force multipliers.

I generally play Defenders (19 Defs, 6 Corrs out of my 50's), but I'm part of a group who play all-Corrupter and all-Defender task forces every week. The all-Corrupter one falls on a civilised 9.30am Sunday here in Australia, whereas the all-Defender one is the not-so-nice 4.30am Monday. 

So I play a Corrupter with them. 🙂

I've got 6 Corrupters to 50 now, another one was a Kinetics/Energy who I re-rolled from Defender after looking at the potential damage numbers (and low Defender damage boost cap).

The others were.... one was part of an Empathy duo with a friend, and one was Elec/Elec rolled as a Corrupter just for a change?

Why corruptor? DMG, support.

Really good ones:

1a0d679b662d75e38f4feae0f523cdac.thumb.jpg.80d166ca282650f3bd201a96f4c3cc4e.jpg

- fire/thermal: it's just stable. Marine affinity might supplant this.  However, I'd miss having real heals and slotted shields. Skip forge

d345g3q-572ef894-6c27-4b81-86c7-0c4ca9db52f0.jpg.c9bee2881fca5fb8551c284356298f07.jpg

- seismic / kin: self explanatory, exceptional. Can't fly tho.