What Is Your Reason For Choosing a Corrupter/Goals?

As the title stated.

I have some very successful corrupters, not knocking the set at all, but sometimes I think I am missing the main reasoning behind choosing a corrupter outside of "secondary fits my concept". So, as the title states, what is YOUR reason for choosing corrupter over say blaster or some other archetype?

Appreciate any serious reply. 🙂

Paragon Vanguard
Jerrin Bloodlette
Hughe
Luke Minhere
many others

If you choose the right Corruptor they're completely self sufficient, heal, buff etc. 

Playing in a team it's completely down to me if I survive or not, I'm not looking over my shoulder waiting for someone to heal me etc. 

• Like 1

I've been struggling with this recently but it comes down sets and what you'll be doing.

Whether you expect to be damage capped changes the math in corruptors favor but simply considering -res and kill speed defender wins in teams of 4 or larger for average damage output but it's a wash to about 10% more damage with an 8 person team.

That being said the teams do well killing minions and lieutenants but your less swinging at bosses and above where scourge will add a larger benefit. 

So sets that scourge and have higher single target damage will do better on corruptor assuming you target bosses and above over random mob for damage. Fire, water, ice all come to mind.

For secondaries it comes down to build sacrifice. Can a defender have the same damage because of less build sacrifice to hit +def numbers then defender wins. This is seen in the kinetics argument where you can cap damage on both but is the higher def in weave and resistance in your shield going to be more beneficial to allow more procs to get higher damage?

Some things are just better on a defender like sonic blast. Fire and ice blast on a corruptor.

The raw data is close enough and would say corruptor takes a little more thought to balance the damage difference in larger teams but again with 8 PCs at damage cap average damage is 10% more on a defender considering 40% -res vs -30%.

Also scourge go burrr 

Of all the ATs and Dark Dark powers on CoH, this seems to fit my vampire concept the best.  It has a lot of tricks, yet does enough DPS that I am not screaming because the team went in a completely stupid direction.  Then, when the team is actually there, I can provide a crapton of leverage to help them succeed.

Corruptor is a very powerful archetype.  It speaks to dark villainry.  Would not be (and was not) my first pick. Yet the thing is just powerful, and the more you understand the combat system the more powerful it becomes.  

• Like 2

I like the damage/support a lot better than the support/damage.  I solo a bit and soloing on defenders and controllers just aint it. I feel like the controller sets I like to play fit the modern teams better as a corruptor.  I like it a little more than damage/damage, but damage/damage was my roll for a long time. 

• Like 2

Freedom toons:

Illuminata

Phoebros

Mim

Ogrebane

22 minutes ago, Snakebit said:

I like the damage/support a lot better than the support/damage.  I solo a bit and soloing on defenders and controllers just aint it. I feel like the controller sets I like to play fit the modern teams better as a corruptor.  I like it a little more than damage/damage, but damage/damage was my roll for a long time. 

The only two Controller power sets that I could bear soloing are Illusion (but only after Phantom Army), and Symphony.  Symphony is much more of a blast set than a control set.  The others?  Yeah, no.  I'm a bit of a masochist, but the others are too painful to solo even for me.

• Like 1

4 reasons

1.  More Damage than a Controller.

2.  Blasters can be Damage/More-Damage.  I wanted to play something a little more interesting and maybe more pivotal on teams.

3. Regarding Defenders: When I play a Defender, I feel more... obligated... to take ally centered power picks.  My defenders are a lot of support with a bit of damage.  I like being a lot of damage with a bit of support.  Plus I feel more free with my power picks.  Heck, I may take one of those phase shift/intangible power picks if it fits my Corruptor.  Which I would never do on my Defender.

4.  Scourge is great!   Oh, your cup is half empty?  Scourge!  There, now it's all the way empty.

• Like 1

Scourge. Love it. Especially on sets with rain powers. Good damage. Having support to Buff/Debuff makes me feel like I'm contributing to overall team success and survivability. This AT is becoming my most played. 

• Like 1