Base piece "Structure/Ledges/(Block/Platform) properties?

I have been using a LOT of Structure/Platform to clad / form the bones of the crazy thing I am pasting together.

The good.  Solid simple color (black) that I can slap down on a grid and move in, making 10s thousand a square feet in no time. The Platform pieces are great for this. they even look like solid building material.. maybe 8 in thick,

The bad. When I place something on it.... They are 0 inches thick according to the snap to, and anything I put on them sinks down, losing nearly a foot.  Then, I can, tediously, manually raise each piece. This is both time consuming and non uniform.

Is there a solution to this?

If I'm understanding you correctly, what you want to do is select the item you want to place, press F1 until it sets the grid to "Disabled" and then press F5 until it is set to "Surface", then place your item.  That should prevent the item from sinking into whatever it is you're trying to place the object on.  You lose the ability to snap nicely to a grid, but it'll prevent the item from sinking.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

If I'm understanding you correctly, what you want to do is select the item you want to place, press F1 until it sets the grid to "Disabled" and then press F5 until it is set to "Surface", then place your item.  That should prevent the item from sinking into whatever it is you're trying to place the object on.  You lose the ability to snap nicely to a grid, but it'll prevent the item from sinking.

perfect thanks

Thankfully I build like the egyptians.  monumental achitecture.... comparatively little inside

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

This, sadly, is a problem for those of us that have trouble properly aligning objects without the "snap" function.  For the life of me, I don't understand why objects can't just properly seat atop one another AND snap into place.

I know, I know.  CoH has one of the most advanced base creators that exist- even compared to newer games that are out there.  I shouldn't complain.  It's just very tedious, sometimes. 😝

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Triumphant said:

This, sadly, is a problem for those of us that have trouble properly aligning objects without the "snap" function.  For the life of me, I don't understand why objects can't just properly seat atop one another AND snap into place.

I know, I know.  CoH has one of the most advanced base creators that exist- even compared to newer games that are out there.  I shouldn't complain.  It's just very tedious, sometimes. 😝

It is not perfect... but if you place it in first with snap, then disable snap sometimes that is good.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Retired Community Rep

Just place a surface tile (no collision) on the surface of the ledge where you want things to be. If things are sitting above or below this level when you try to place them, adjust the grid. I usually have my grid set to 1/4 most of the time, unless I turn it off altogether. Remove the editing tool when you are done. This way, things sit where you want, and you don’t have to change attachment for each item. See, ledges aren’t “floors”, officially, to the editor, so you have to place something that is, for the editor to place things as it does on a floor.  This was the whole reason these were created, to make building above level, easier. 

• Like 1