Walls. I need walls. A LOT of BIG walls

So....  How do you go abpout that.  I tried taking one of the surfaces and flipping that.  Spent 5 minutes and I might as well have been juggling eggs.  If I was successful that would have been 1% of my needs.  What do I do here?

I think the biggest wall there is is called stone wall or rock wall, or some such.  Apart from that, you can take the roman bridge pieces and kind of overlap them to build walls.  I've always thought we needed more large pieces for building floors, walls and ceilings. 

@Dacy and others that have been at this a lot longer than I have can probably offer some better suggestions on potential wall pieces.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Triumphant said:

I think the biggest wall there is is called stone wall or rock wall, or some such.  Apart from that, you can take the roman bridge pieces and kind of overlap them to build walls.  I've always thought we needed more large pieces for building floors, walls and ceilings. 

@Dacy and others that have been at this a lot longer than I have can probably offer some better suggestions on potential wall pieces.

Well...

I managed to get the thing to work.  I have clad the whole building ( so far 16 support columns and most of the floors) in the Structure Surface black grid.  (The thing is 18 stories tall...)

Now I am terrible at getting the thing to snap if I try  Luckily I do not have to.  I find a spot at the top and anchor a sheet of "Surface Tile" then slap on more "Structure Surface black grid, matching my flooring and existing columns.  

I will work one floor at a time and remove the Surface Tile after I have slapped on a wall in that area AND a surface tile going in the direction I am building.  that is key.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Retired Community Rep

@Snarky,

I really really HOPE  you are using the surface tiles (col), that is, the surface tiles with collision. The surface tiles without collision will not be visible for anyone out of editing mode!

However, I must point out that surface tiles (even the ones WITH collision) were intended as building TOOLS, not as building ITEMS. There are stars on the surface of the surface tile with collision that are only invisible on the blackest black setting (both colors must be black). The dev did not want these items used as building materials, and they have not been programmed to react to light. This has been used to advantage by some such as Vexxillion, who used a white surface tile with collision to imitate window lighting in outside buildings, but as part of a building, it may look odd. I'm not trying to discourage you from using them, but I am trying to make you aware of their properties so you can choose what you want to do.

Ledges (in the structures tab) have been used by many in building buildings. They have two sides, but I will tell you, they do not function as floors in the editor. (They are also quite dark.) Yes, your character can walk on them outside of the editor, but you can't place items on them and have the items sit on top of them. To make them into a floor surface while in the editor, place a surface tile at the level of the floor, and then you can place items as if the ledge was a floor.  This goes for any item not seen as a "floor" by the editor.

You are attempting a complex build, and I understand you want easy shortcuts, but to do what you are wanting to do, there is no built-in plop in place item. I can show you a few things that may work, but understand that you'll get the best result if you take a little time to learn what works for what you want to create the best, and few if any of these options will likely do an entire floor in one go the way you want it done; several may do it well, but in more than one piece. A complex build is simply going to take some time and patience, and typically, a bit of time spent figuring out the best approach. Again, I am happy to come to your base and help you if you'd like, to the best of my ability.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dacy said:

@Snarky,

I really really HOPE  you are using the surface tiles (col), that is, the surface tiles with collision. The surface tiles without collision will not be visible for anyone out of editing mode!

However, I must point out that surface tiles (even the ones WITH collision) were intended as building TOOLS, not as building ITEMS. There are stars on the surface of the surface tile with collision that are only invisible on the blackest black setting (both colors must be black). The dev did not want these items used as building materials, and they have not been programmed to react to light. This has been used to advantage by some such as Vexxillion, who used a white surface tile with collision to imitate window lighting in outside buildings, but as part of a building, it may look odd. I'm not trying to discourage you from using them, but I am trying to make you aware of their properties so you can choose what you want to do.

Ledges (in the structures tab) have been used by many in building buildings. They have two sides, but I will tell you, they do not function as floors in the editor. (They are also quite dark.) Yes, your character can walk on them outside of the editor, but you can't place items on them and have the items sit on top of them. To make them into a floor surface while in the editor, place a surface tile at the level of the floor, and then you can place items as if the ledge was a floor.  This goes for any item not seen as a "floor" by the editor.

You are attempting a complex build, and I understand you want easy shortcuts, but to do what you are wanting to do, there is no built-in plop in place item. I can show you a few things that may work, but understand that you'll get the best result if you take a little time to learn what works for what you want to create the best, and few if any of these options will likely do an entire floor in one go the way you want it done; several may do it well, but in more than one piece. A complex build is simply going to take some time and patience, and typically, a bit of time spent figuring out the best approach. Again, I am happy to come to your base and help you if you'd like, to the best of my ability.

Thanks for the tips!  Yes, I am struggling mightily lol.  I have little choice but to use the Structures Ledges for 99% of my bulk work.  I used 12 of the non color "invisible out of editor mode" Towers.  This got me 18 or 19 floors.  I am using a bit of an anthill design.  I do not want a square brick, which might have been easier but dreadfully boring.  It is symmetrical, but not perfectly so.  Both because I did not want it to be and also because the editor throws huge curveballs at me.  I got all 12 towers clad and the floors (that i wanted, roughly 40% of the "easy" possible building space on the towers.  Now i am working on the exterior walls.  roughly 1/3 done.  I have some basic services in place but have not really "moved in" during heavy construction.  

You can plop items on top of the floors, although sometimes, like everything in the base editor, it fights you.  In that case shift and levitate.  Thanks for the tip sbout surface tile over the ledges.  That will be very useful when I get into serious decorating.  Looking forward to exploring lighting.  It is Dark!  Good thing I am a vampire lol.

I really, really wish we just had some simple shapes like squares and rectangles of varying size that are specifically intended for walls.  Like have small/medium/large sizes with stone, brick, metal, glass etc. textures. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Retired Community Rep
17 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

I really, really wish we just had some simple shapes like squares and rectangles of varying size that are specifically intended for walls.  Like have small/medium/large sizes with stone, brick, metal, glass etc. textures. 

THIS. Believe me, it’s on the list we have asked for. 

• Thanks 1