Is there a Defender Water blast/force field build that can solo Av's and Eb's? And if So Does anyone have a Mids build?

I just started this Water/Force Field Defender and I'm trying to make it one of my strongest toons. I'm trying to avoid making the same mistakes with my first toon, A Corrupter, Pain dom/energy blast. Which was one of the worst play throughs I ever had, I was on a low populated server, and I was on red and my build wasn't good. And that Character barely had any cash at all to even make a good Build. I would always find myself struggling with Bosses, and I had to constantly beg help chat to help me with a EB or AV, which at most times they wouldn't even aid at all. And when I told people about my issues online, they always told me Use mids, or make a good build. But never give me the ideas on how to make any cash in game or anything, I was new at that time. Now I do have cash methods and I want to make a Good Defender Water blast/Force Field build. But I don't know any Mids builds or anything that help me. Anyone got anything I could take a look at? 

While just about any AT/primary/secondary can solo EBs, not everything can solo an AV. I'm sure somebody will pop up to say they've done it, but FF defender is generally not in the AV soloing department. FF lacks the -res and -regen debuffs and +dmg buffs generally required to solo AVs (you can purchase Envenomed Daggers from the START vendor for -regen). Cold, Dark, Poison, Radiation, Traps or Trick Arrow are better suited to the task.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

This is the closest I'd have.  

• You'll have to adjust the build for recent changes.
  • I expect this version could manage a solo +4x8 ITF.   However, it may need to use Daggers and/or inspirations and/or Lore Pets to kill the AVs.     
  • On the other hand it should be nearly as durable as many tanks you'll come across in the wilds.

FF Water Dark - Soul Drain - Overwatch 1 - [i25].mxd

Context:  All of my builds solo a +4x8 ITF as proof of concept, but most of those only do so once and only once, and I'm not at all averse to using Inspirations and Lore Pets, nor any other resources as needed.  Even the "almost"-petless MM soloed a +4x8 ITF, but used Lore (Hence the "almost") and Inspirations as needed. 

Edited by Linea
  • Like 1

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

1 hour ago, Linea said:

This is the closest I'd have.  

• You'll have to adjust the build for recent changes.
  • I expect this version could manage a solo +4x8 ITF.   However, it may need to use Daggers and/or inspirations and/or Lore Pets to kill the AVs.     
  • On the other hand it should be nearly as durable as many tanks you'll come across in the wilds.

FF Water Dark - Soul Drain - Overwatch 1 - [i25].mxd 7.99 kB · 0 downloads

Context:  All of my builds solo a +4x8 ITF as proof of concept, but most of those only do so once and only once, and I'm not at all averse to using Inspirations and Lore Pets, nor any other resources as needed.  Even the "almost"-petless MM soloed a +4x8 ITF, but used Lore (Hence the "almost") and Inspirations as needed. 

37 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

This is my FF/Water/Energy Defender.  Very tanky.  Designed to give max def to others, hence taking grant invis.  But as states above, FF is not really for AV killing.  EBs, sure, no problem.  But not an AV killer without lots of helps from temps, lores, and other summoned pets.

Moscato Rose - Defender (Force Field).mbd 53.83 kB · 0 downloads

I’ve always dug the idea of this combo. Water Blast is a little more “user intensive” due to the build/spend mechanic, and Force Field is (I believe) one of the more “hands off” support sets.

How do you feel it works on a Corruptor compared to a Defender? Shields will be less, but Scourge ticking on Whirlpool and what not might help with the OP’s desire to solo AV’s.

The Corruptor offensive advantage is strongest from level 20 to 41, or when teamed with significant +damage buffs.  Once you get to 50+3 with full Tier 4 Incarnates, assuming mirrored builds, the offensive difference falls into the +/- 5% range while solo.  That small damage gap does increase while teamed due to the -damage debuff* defenders suffer while on a team.  Meanwhile the Defender builds are much easier to build and much more flexible overall.  On the negative side, most people do not build the Defender the way they would build the Corruptor, which in turn creates a self-fulfilling prophecy of Defender inferiority.  Lastly, don't forget FF now has , at least some, debuffs.

* Losing a buff is the same as being debuffed.

Edited by Linea
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

I have Tier-4 FF/DP/Souldrain listed as 234 dps.   Water should be at least that good, and should be better.   Looking over the data I do have, I would expect it to fall into the 250 dps category.   250 is effectively the minimum required dps to take on most +4 AVs.  

If for some reason you fall short of that you should still pass the +3 AV test, although to spawn a +3 AV frequently requires setting the difficulty to +2.

• Thumbs Up 1

Repulsion Bolt and Force Bomb will keep a 35% resistance debuff on your AV target, so FF is nowhere near as bad as it used to be for this task.

Dispersion gives you status protection and a very good start to capping your Defences.

You have zero native regen or recovery tools.

Add in Envenomed Daggers from the START vendor and as much damage as you can slot and proc for?

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1