Add an option to disable the inherent fitness powers

Having Swift and Hurdle by default are excellent QoL features for characters who'd like to run 35% faster and jump 166% higher (!!!). Which I do believe is most of them. However, for some characters (especially of the Natural origin) it might be seen as an unrealistic portrayal of their character. Without even turning on the sprint power, characters with the Swift power will jog as fast as a sprinting olympian, and be able to jump over traffic lights! Jogging that fast might make sense because it is technically possible for a human to do (albeit exhausting), however jumping that high is simply impossible.

Unfortunately, it's currently impossible to move slower than a jog except by using the [Walk] power. Which is quite slow and relaxed, and not intended for navigating the world. Also, the player cannot attack using this (very slow) power, which means it is unusable in combat.

In addition, the game world wasn't originally designed with those speeds and heights in mind. This is not an appeal to purity - rather, the worlds themselves will feel smaller due to the increased movement speed, which isn't always desirable for characters who seek immersion in expansive environments.

I propose adding a new option to Null the Gull that would allow players to remove the inherent fitness powers.

Ideally one at a time, so they could keep (for example) Health and Recovery while removing Swift and Hurdle. I believe this would allow some characters to fit their design a bit better, especially in terms of movement, which is often the most personal method of interaction a player has with any game. City of X is no different, and while the movement mechanics in this game are excellent they can often be a little unrealistic if a player is attempting to portray a semi-realistic human character.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

18 minutes ago, gabrilend said:

I propose adding a new option to Null the Gull that would allow players to remove the inherent fitness powers.

IIRC, the current devs are loathe to add anything to Null the Gull.  Maybe they could add a sprint-like power to the START vendor, that imposes a speed cap or something...

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, biostem said:

IIRC, the current devs are loathe to add anything to Null the Gull.  Maybe they could add a sprint-like power to the START vendor, that imposes a speed cap or something...

Like, a "negative" sprint? Which makes you ~35% slower, to compensate for the bonus given by the Swift inherent power? That could work. Of course there could be 4 total powers, one for each inherent power.

Edited by gabrilend
  • Thumbs Up 1

Makes me wonder if an enhancement could be made with the effect of cancelling/zeroing-out the effects of the power it's slotted in. Call it a Null Origin enhancement, then you could slot a NO in Swift and Hurdle.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

at 1st I was gonna say

who would want this?

then I realized 

me me me!

long ago in the ancient days of the dinosaurs

stealth had a movement speed penalty

when paired with super speed it made it.......manageable (shakes fist at oranbega torches)

now I'm old, my reflexes can no longer keep up with super speed

and now I can no longer take/use super speed on any character (this is a personal problem)

I especially like @AlwaysAPrice suggestion.

• Like 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

16 hours ago, biostem said:

16 hours ago, gabrilend said:

Like, a "negative" sprint? Which makes you ~35% slower, to compensate for the bonus given by the Swift inherent power? That could work. Of course there could be 4 total powers, one for each inherent power.

There's speed suppression in-game already.  When you attack your movement is suppressed.  I wonder if that could be leveraged to provide slower movement speeds.

There's some times in game when you want less speed and more precision of movement.  It's hard to get that without turning off your travel powers, especially super speed.  I wonder if a key bind could be provided to make a cap so we could move more slowly when needed.  Something that could be activated as a chord key.  Like Control-WASD could be used for slower more precise movements.  That way I don't have to click any powers on or off, just hold down Ctrl to get it.  Of course the same keys could be used to move more slowly all the time if you set it that way.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, AlwaysAPrice said:

Makes me wonder if an enhancement could be made with the effect of cancelling/zeroing-out the effects of the power it's slotted in. Call it a Null Origin enhancement, then you could slot a NO in Swift and Hurdle.

This idea adds more flexibility to my original idea, as it allows the cancellation effect to apply to *any* power, which is certainly nice! Thanks for the idea!

EDIT: Although, now that I think of it, this solution would not resolve @Saiyajinzoningen's issue. For that problem there'd need to be a "negative speed" enhancement, as nulling out / cancelling a travel power would defeat the purpose of picking that power in the first place. However, a negative speed enhancement would allow for slowing it down, which addresses both my concerns and theirs.

Are there any other powers that might be suitable or typical targets for the Null Origin enhancement?

Edited by gabrilend
Added an EDIT paragraph

1 hour ago, gameboy1234 said:

I wonder if a key bind could be provided to make a cap so we could move more slowly when needed.  Something that could be activated as a chord key.  Like Control-WASD could be used for slower more precise movements.  That way I don't have to click any powers on or off, just hold down Ctrl to get it.  Of course the same keys could be used to move more slowly all the time if you set it that way.

I do believe such functionality could be accomplished using the in-game macro system, assuming a "slow move" action was implemented. You could bind it to whatever chord you'd like, or heck even just replace WASD with it if you'd like and have the chord be for moving quickly. Like how sprinting works in many other games!

1 hour ago, gabrilend said:

or heck even just replace WASD with it if you'd like and have the chord be for moving quickly. Like how sprinting works in many other games!

Many first person shooters basically have you sprint all the time, and control or shift is used for "move slowly" though it's often also crouch.  Making a bind for both "move slow" and "move regular" is a nice idea, would let folks set it up as they wish, with either as the default.

I like both ideas... Prestige utility toggle powers "Disable: Swift", "Disable: Hurdle", "Disable: Health", and "Disable: Stamina" sold (or given for free) from the START vendor that cost no endurance and apply -SPD, -Leap, -Regen/Sleep Res, and -Recovery respectively (in an amount to counteract the unslotted versions of the inherent powers), and a new Travel IO set which applies negative values when slotted for the same purpose (Call it "Molasses").  Heck, it can even have identical set bonuses to Celerity if you like.

4 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

when paired with super speed it made it.......manageable (shakes fist at oranbega torches)

Yeah, this.  This just occurred to me, but  I often play 8 ft. tall characters with wings, and Council maps and Oranbega maps are hell for me.  I made a small toon with no speed powers (because role play) and suddenly Oranbega and Council maps made sense.  They were actually navigable! 

I wonder if in addition to a "move slow" key bind or power we could also get a "make my hit box smaller" option when we are using the slower speed movement.  Seems reasonable if you're moving around carefully you'd not hit into things as much, so it seems like a fair trade off.  Well just a thought, I don't know if the server code would like this.

• Pizza (Pepperoni) 1