Death before Surrender - an idea for an addition to the Brute fury mechanic

1 minute ago, gabrilend said:

If your health bar is never supposed to dip, then what's the point of having one at all? I view it as a resource, and if you aren't fully utilizing your resources then you aren't performing at your maximum potential. People don't like dying, but I think the issue they should fear is the death component, not the process of being harmed. Especially for a Brute, who revels in the slaughter (or perhaps is most attuned to it), being harmed would be a natural part of that experience.

Also... what are PUGmates? Like, players you meet in a pick up group?

PUG = pick-up group

I also see the green bar as something to spend. Only by going off of how important "softcapping defense" is to so many conversations, as well as "X is as survivable as Y", Any loss of green is seen as a bad thing.

Recent Anecdote: I was in a PUG, I was playing a Blaster with somewhat mediocre defenses (but with a few OH #### options as well as scaling resistances on top of well-typed resistances for the content we were facing. I was drawing aggro in typical Blaster fashion, and one of the team healers made a reasonable complaint that they were struggling (and occasionally dying) "trying to keep me healed". I said thanks, but don't go out of the way to worry about me when my health bar is above 50%. The mezz protects? I LURV those, but I also have plans for mezz myself!

Similarly, when I play a character with heals... I try to pay attention to which PUGmates need the healing/absorb/whatever. If I see a melee type above 50%, I don't sweat healing them unless they are in an obvious cascading failure mode. Tanks and Brute, it depends on the matchup of damage types with the powers in use. Masterminds, if I don't have an AoE heal you guys are on your own... keep the henchmen in Bodyguard mode!

• Like 2

I feel like this is a low key buff regen request

cause I feel like regen will benefit the most from this change

unless I'm misunderstanding the requested mechanic

even if im wrong (which is highly probable)

some sets would definitely be impacted far worse than others

like super reflexes and shield 

neither of which have heals or much natural regeneration

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

39 minutes ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

I feel like this is a low key buff regen request

cause I feel like regen will benefit the most from this change

unless I'm misunderstanding the requested mechanic

even if im wrong (which is highly probable)

some sets would definitely be impacted far worse than others

like super reflexes and shield 

neither of which have heals or much natural regeneration

That's a good point, and I think that in order to address that issue there would need to be a way to heal that all Brute powersets had access to. So, an inherent AT power, or possibly a replacement to the build-up power which provided some kind of healing.

See this comment for an proposed idea I had. It's a little convoluted, which doesn't really fit well with Brutes, but in essence it boils down to giving them a toggle power which converts fury into health, while causing any damage taken to be dealt to their endurance bar instead of their health bar. I believe this would allow Brutes to heal themselves when out of danger, thus giving them the ability to survive after falling into the 0-10% hp state.