Shield question

OdinAZ

Shield: Against All Odds increases your damage for each enemy you are in melee with.  But who exactly is counted?  Everyone in Melee range?  Everyone you hit?  Everyone who attempts to hit you?

Posted (edited)

Up to 10 enemies within an 8 ft radius of you. They don't need to be attacking you and you don't need to be attacking them; they just need to be within 8 ft.

Edit: Actually might be bigger than 8 ft because of Gauntlet, I can't remember.

The first enemy grants you 15.5% +Damage(All), the rest will give 5.5% +Damage(All)

Edited by Trickshooter

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration | Light Affinity | Force Shield | Wild Instincts | Crystallization
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

I remember reading Probability Distortion a few months back and thinking it was the best player proposed set I'd ever seen. - Arbiter Hawk 💚

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Trickshooter said:

Edit: Actually might be bigger than 8 ft because of Gauntlet, I can't remember.

Correct.  Should be 12ft radius for Tankers.

Edit: One thing about this I've wondered, but not ever tested.. is how this interacts with Shield Charge.   Basically, if you Shield Charge into a group of ten enemies and they are all in range of AAO at the destination, does that Shield Charge get its damage boosted or does the +dmg buff get applied only AFTER the Shield Charge has already done its damage?

My guess is the latter.  Per CoD, the shield charge pseudopet is created at the target immediately, then has a half second before its effect takes place.  But the Teleport from Shield Charge isn't activated until 0.7s.  So it seems the damage might occur just a hair before or right as you are arriving at the destination. 

All of which would mean that if you want to do the most damage with Shield Charge, you should get yourself into the crowd first and then Shield Charge right at your own feet.   But what fun is that? 🤪

Edited by ZemX
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ZemX said:

One thing about this I've wondered, but not ever tested.. is how this interacts with Shield Charge.   Basically, if you Shield Charge into a group of ten enemies and they are all in range of AAO at the destination, does that Shield Charge get its damage boosted or does the +dmg buff get applied only AFTER the Shield Charge has already done its damage?

My understanding is the targets at the destination count for AAO.

On 5/8/2024 at 10:46 AM, ZemX said:

Correct.  Should be 12ft radius for Tankers.

Edit: One thing about this I've wondered, but not ever tested.. is how this interacts with Shield Charge.   Basically, if you Shield Charge into a group of ten enemies and they are all in range of AAO at the destination, does that Shield Charge get its damage boosted or does the +dmg buff get applied only AFTER the Shield Charge has already done its damage?

My guess is the latter.  Per CoD, the shield charge pseudopet is created at the target immediately, then has a half second before its effect takes place.  But the Teleport from Shield Charge isn't activated until 0.7s.  So it seems the damage might occur just a hair before or right as you are arriving at the destination. 

All of which would mean that if you want to do the most damage with Shield Charge, you should get yourself into the crowd first and then Shield Charge right at your own feet.   But what fun is that? 🤪

Tested, you don't benefit from AAO unless you're at the target.  There's a slight delay before the damage buff takes effect.  So yes, if you want to do the most damage you should wade into the crowd and then use it.  This is the same for Lightning Rod as well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Psi-bolt said:

Tested, you don't benefit from AAO unless you're at the target.  There's a slight delay before the damage buff takes effect.  So yes, if you want to do the most damage you should wade into the crowd and then use it.  This is the same for Lightning Rod as well.  

Thanks for testing!  I was afraid that was probably the answer.  

1 hour ago, Erratic1 said:

Guessing the person who previously said AAO counted targets at destination had been using it point blank.

It's good to know but... meh.  I feel about this the same way I feel about how I slot an Avalanche KB proc in Rad Armor's Ground Zero instead of another %dmg proc.   Yeah, I could be doing more damage.

But I'd be doing LESS awesome!

Shield Charge for 0 distance?  Who charges.. nowhere?  Not me, sir!

• Thumbs Up 1

My Tanker's slotting for Shield Charge:

(A) Mocking Beratement - Recharge

(*) Mocking Beratement - Accuracy/Recharge

(*) Eradication - Chance for Damage (Energy)

(*) Perfect Zinger - Chance for Damage (Psi)

(*) Scirocco's Dervish - Chance of Damage (Lethal)

(*) Force Feedback - Chance of Global Recharge

Against All Odds definitely boost the damage for this slotting, but with the long recharge time on Shield Charge I typically use Shield Charge to get into the next swarm of enemies and then followup with an AoE melee attack

On 5/13/2024 at 8:32 AM, ZemX said:

Thanks for testing!  I was afraid that was probably the answer.  

I will say that while I love the teleport, there's something very super-heroey about knocking 10+ guys down at PB range.