Five ideas to make missions more tolerable

1 minute ago, arcane said:

Talk about being out of touch with reality. Most noobs can’t dream of 500 DPS in this game, and most pugs can’t dream of completing the hardest content in the game.

The dichotomy on this forum is weird.

People are constantly talking about how we need to add info to the game to explain stuff because it's way too confusing for new players, but then they'll also insist that the game is so easy that you can roll your face around on the keyboard and get 500 DPS.

Both of these things can't be true at once. You all need to talk amongst yourselves and get your stories straight. Which one is it? Pick a lane!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

8 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

People are constantly talking about how we need to add info to the game to explain stuff because it's way too confusing for new players, but then they'll also insist that the game is so easy that you can roll your face around on the keyboard and get 500 DPS.

Both of these things can't be true at once. You all need to talk amongst yourselves and get your stories straight. Which one is it? Pick a lane!

The truth is the middleground. The game is easy but not that easy. To say nothing in the game requires skill is just asinine.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

What we mean by this is that if you want to learn all the fiddly bits about character building (different enhancements and incarnate powers, how to make and slot them, how they interact with one another, which powers do what and so on) can all be quite complicated and confusing and it often requires a great deal of trial-and-error to figure it out.

But yes, if you don't want to worry about any of that stuff (stuff  which is where, for many of us, a great deal of the fun comes in when customizing, tweaking, and experimenting with different character builds), you can just slot your character with whatever drops during play and just go about your business at +0/1 and, once you have a decent amount of practice under your belt, this game is going to be pretty damn easy.

So yes, when put into context, both things can be (and, IMO, are) true.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, arcane said:

Talk about being out of touch with reality. Most noobs can’t dream of 500 DPS in this game, and most pugs can’t dream of completing the hardest content in the game. OFC you’ve made this argument many times before - that anything short of Dark Souls has no skill spectrum. It was wrong then and it’s wrong now.

Well I hate to make you think its only Dark Souls. Hm, I should use other games true. Well how about Destiny. In Destiny the raids are actually very VERY difficult compared to CoH because they require a lot more coordination than the hardest content CoH could literally ever dream of. In particular, Salvation’s Edge. 

My argument isn’t also so much about the immediate difficulty, it was poorly articulated I give you that. My argument is that a good number of people using “git gud” and “skill issue” especially in a game like this don’t realize that it really actually can’t apply here. There’s so much to do and so little comparison between what you choose to do that how does one even “git gud”? How do I git gud if I’m a RPer and don’t care about HM, as an example.

I was actually more arguing FOR the people than against. My usage of Dark souls and soulslike games is to say basically to those who give others a hard time about their perceived superiority in CoH and a “skill issue”, that this game doesn’t have some uber high unobtainable skill ceiling  and you aren’t nearly the hot shit you think you are. There’s very little “skill” to me in this game that can’t be learned in a few weeks or months time. And absolutely NO skill that makes you hot shit compared to others. 

Also 500 DPS isn’t meant to be literal. I can’t believe I have to say that but it is 2024 so…

As an aside I personally play solidly in the middle of the spectrum. Skilled enough to make the builds and minmax the goals I want to chase, and form HM 3 ITFs and keep up on 4* runs, but not so uber skilled that I can literally break down the math of each power using arcana time. Or lead hammi raids, I totally have and can lead iTrials but that was back in ye olden virtue days

Edited by Seed22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

On 6/26/2024 at 11:20 AM, temnix said:

3) There should be two versions of both this sound and the glowie hum, one louder than the other, and the Options menu should include a choice of which set to play. That way objectives can be found more easily without subjecting the neighbors to an audial Let's Play.

Kinda have to agree with this one - between power effects, music (in-game or otherwise), background noise, CoH sounds turned too far down or off, the glowie sound isn't always audible.  A separate volume slider that only affected the glowie sound would actually be a nice addition.

And no thanks on all the extra noises - footsteps, NPC "rescue me" noises, etc.  The game's already busy enough, audio-wise.

10 hours ago, Akisan said:

Kinda have to agree with this one - between power effects, music (in-game or otherwise), background noise, CoH sounds turned too far down or off, the glowie sound isn't always audible.  A separate volume slider that only affected the glowie sound would actually be a nice addition.

Yea, that's my first mod to install is the Double Loud Glowie, though a completely different slider for them would be great.