Defender Dispersion Bubble vs. Corruptor Dispersion Bubble

Apparition

Here's something interesting.  Corruptor Force Field's Dispersion Bubble gives better status protection than a Defender Force Field's Dispersion Bubble.  Seriously.

I checked on Pine's first, and then in game.  A level 50 Defender Dispersion Bubble gives +8.65 status protection, while a level 50 Corruptor Dispersion Bubble gives +10.38 status protection.

Here's something interesting.  Corruptor Force Field's Dispersion Bubble gives better status protection than a Defender Force Field's Dispersion Bubble.  Seriously.

I checked on Pine's first, and then in game.  A level 50 Defender Dispersion Bubble gives +8.65 status protection, while a level 50 Corruptor Dispersion Bubble gives +10.38 status protection.

Because the SCoRE devs copied the Controller version of Force Field/Dispersion Bubble, which has an incorrect base value. Base value should be 20*Ranged Res Boolean modifier, which would give Controllers and Corruptors 6.92 Protection, but Controllers, and now Corruptors, have it set as 30*Ranged Res Boolean, which makes it 10.38. It's been a bug since probably the earliest days of the game.

I added it to the Current Defender Issues waaay back in 2008:

Forcefields

Bugs

Dispersion Bubble uses the Ranged_Res_Boolean modifier, which is higher for Defenders (0.433 at level 50) than Controllers (0.346 at level 50), but Controller's Dispersion Bubble grants more Mez protection because the base value (before modifiers) is higher for Controllers (-30 to Defender's -20). In no other case of grantable mez protection do Controllers offer more protection than Defenders with the same power.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

I get that defenders are better at buffing on an AT level, but I think it's not an illogical position to consider that as they control, and know how TO control, they could logically be better or at least equal to defenders for status protection.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

I get that defenders are better at buffing on an AT level, but I think it's not an illogical position to consider that as they control, and know how TO control, they could logically be better or at least equal to defenders for status protection.

That would require waaay more work compared to just fixing Dispersion Bubble. The Ranged Res Boolean mod is used for more than just Mez Protection. It's also used to scale debuff resistance, which using the logic that 'if you're better at causing it, you're better at resisting it,' Defenders would need to stay higher. You'd either need a whole new modifier to separate them or need to manually adjust them all. Either way would require having to update many powers.

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

You have completely misunderstood my comment.

I did not suggest changing ANYTHING. I merely pointed out that there is supporting logic for Controllers to have aptitude with mez protection. In other words, the devs could have designed controllers to have good values with this power deliberately and it wouldn't be illogical.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

You have completely misunderstood my comment.

I did not suggest changing ANYTHING. I merely pointed out that there is supporting logic for Controllers to have aptitude with mez protection. In other words, the devs could have designed controllers to have good values with this power deliberately and it wouldn't be illogical.

I understood your comment. I get that you're only positing that Controllers being better at both causing and protecting from status effects could make sense.

I'm trying to get ahead of this thinking, not challenging what you specifically said, but instead where the next logical stance might be from there. If we start to assume that this could be the intent with Dispersion Bubble, then we also assume that Clear Mind, Increase Density, Accelerate Metabolism, Sonic Dispersion, Clarity, O2 Boost, Steamy Mist, Shadow Fall, Thaw, Antidote, Enforced Morale, Assault, Tactics, and Injection might not be working as intended. From there, a problem arises from the shared uses of the Ranged Res Boolean mod, which is also used for debuff resistance. If logic supports that Controllers have aptitude with mez protection, then that same logic suggests that Defenders have aptitude with debuff resistance. To resolve both now requires a lot of work.

That was the point I was trying to make. I'm not trying to say your logic is wrong; I'm saying where the logic and the game engine meet, there are going to be issues.

Yeah, I get the feeling that any disparities in these numbers are all pretty much accounted for by human error and/or newer people either not knowing or not agreeing with what previous developers did and a lack of appropriate development time. With multiple people involved throughout the life of the game, I'm sure there's been a lot of people in and out, and different design philosophies at play. And I can almost guarantee you with the way that corporate structures tend to work, after Jack left, there most likely was not a single "vision" guiding the game. Because if there was a single vision, all of the discrepancies between powers and power sets would have been looked at and addressed.

Just feels to me like the standard corporate chaos that's the result of "get it done now, faster, faster!". No time to "get it right", only enough time to "get it in".

I'm out.

I understood your comment. [sNIP]

I'm trying to get ahead of this thinking,

No you clearly DID NOT. I said, and let me simplify this even more, "Gee the developers could have originally designed this game so controllers were able to resist what they dish out -- but they didn't."  Guess where they did apply that logic though? DOMINATORS and their DOMINATION power. There is no logic thread you need to get in front of so you can chill ok? It was just an offhand comment saying it would have been nice to have that perk not that a bunch of stuff should be rebalanced.

I understood your comment. [sNIP]

I'm trying to get ahead of this thinking,

No you clearly DID NOT. I said, and let me simplify this even more, "Gee the developers could have originally designed this game so controllers were able to resist what they dish out -- but they didn't."  Guess where they did apply that logic though? DOMINATORS and their DOMINATION power. There is no logic thread you need to get in front of so you can chill ok? It was just an offhand comment saying it would have been nice to have that perk not that a bunch of stuff should be rebalanced.

I didn't know I wasn't being chill? This is the bugs forum, and I'm just trying to explain why this is definitely a bug. Wasn't trying to sound upset. I definitely didn't read your either of your posts like how you just described. It sounded like you were specifically saying maybe the devs wanted Controllers to be better with Dispersion Bubble and this isn't a bug, especially after you said:

the devs could have designed controllers to have good values with this power deliberately

So many you can tone down the hostility?