Radation/Fire brute vs Spine/Fire brute

tryptych99

Can someone explain what advantages, if any, radiation has over spines for fire farms?

And a similar question: I'm playing around with a radiation brute which I don't have any experience with, and the skill descriptions seem to imply that I should hit things to make them "contaminated", then hit the contaminated things with "single target" skills to cause AE damage. So.. I should be using the single target skills when I AE farm? Is that correct or can my AE skills also cause corruption to do extra damage and i can ignore the single target skills?

Edited by tryptych99

Radiation does minus defence. Spines does slows. When your farming you don't want slows. There will be arguments about this as there has been since day 1, all i can say is after 5 years running both i dumped the spiny. The damage is noticeably faster with rad and i ended up with 6 or 7 of them scattered across all servers . Don't worry about the contaminated effect when farming. Build up - Irradiated ground/atom smasher is all you need and you'll see the effect firing off on mobs. 

For the farm build i took 1 single target attack as a mule for a full winters set and because you have to pick 1 (radioactive smash) and i never use it.

Everything else is aoe attacks and damage auras slotted with mostly chance for damage pieces or sets giving recharge bonuses/fire resistance/fire defence/hp bonuses/regen.

I still run mu mastery even after the last update to fire so electrifying fences and ball lightning but if you scroll down a bit or check the guides section you'll find all sorts of builds updated for the latest fire farms usually running energy mastery for afk farms which saves you running a patron arc to unlock powers redside.

• 4 weeks later

radiation melee has an aura that double stacks.  does not sound like much but load it with procs and go for the 75% chance to proc a DoT interface and watch the numbers go

Spines is just "my first firefarmer" which still holds a candle with most people for nostalgia reasons.

claws/fire is by far the fastest killing active firefarmer

rad/fire is a good afk firefarmer

spines/fire was just the first many did