Questions About Regen

00Troy00

I've had Regen on my mind lately. I have character ideas for it, but I'm trying to resolve  the following questions before moving forward

1. Is the nerf that socmany loathe regarding refen centered solely around making some constant powers clicks?

2. Are the clicks left powers as effective as they were, but just more of a PITA because they're not auto?

3. Has Willpower made Regen obsolete?

4. Is Regen powers like SR in that you really need to take basically all of them?

5. Are certain primaries most ideally suited for Regen? 

I dont remember all of the specific numbers to really quote the most detailed info, but the main issue was turning Instant Healing from a toggle to a click with a pretty long recharge.

I wouldn't say regen is obsolete, it's just not as easy mode as it used to be, or as easy as some sets are now. 

i skip the rez and MoG on all of my regen builds.  

Regen can be paired with anything really. spines/regen is my main scrapper and has always been one of my faves. Claws/regen is pretty fun also. calws is just a great set in general. 

i have my spines/regen build, and video posted on a couple other threads already, if you want to check it out for reference. 

should be pretty easy to find.

3 hours ago, Mini-Mega said:

I dont remember all of the specific numbers to really quote the most detailed info, but the main issue was turning Instant Healing from a toggle to a click with a pretty long recharge.

I wouldn't say regen is obsolete, it's just not as easy mode as it used to be, or as easy as some sets are now. 

i skip the rez and MoG on all of my regen builds.  

Regen can be paired with anything really. spines/regen is my main scrapper and has always been one of my faves. Claws/regen is pretty fun also. calws is just a great set in general. 

i have my spines/regen build, and video posted on a couple other threads already, if you want to check it out for reference. 

should be pretty easy to find.

I'll check out your build for sure, but just for quick reference, I'm assuming it's practically impossible to make Instant Healing perma without sacrificing too much?

Just to be clear, the change of Instant Healing from a toggle to a click occurred in 2005. The current version has a 90s duration and a 650s recharge and cannot be made perma. The changes to Moment of Glory occurred in 2008. Moment of Glory was originally a power which prevented all regeneration, took away almost all Hit Points, made the character immune to healing, and lasted for 195 seconds. After that, the buff of the power faded, leaving you with little health and no regeneration for a short while. The current version, introduced shortly after Issue 11, lasts 15s, has a 240s recharge and has no Hit Point penalty or crash.

In the current environment, Regeneration is widely considered to be the worst performing armor set. It can be viable if you stay aware of its limitations. It's a very reactive and clicky set. Survival depends on timely application of Reconstruction, Dull Pain, Instant Healing and Moment of Glory. It's susceptible to burst damage, but can survive sustained damage up to a point. It has limited resistance to -regen and no resistance to defense debuffs or end drain. I would consider Revive and Moment of Glory optional.

While Willpower is also reliant on regeneration, it plays very differently from Regeneration. Willpower is largely set and forget and has no clicks other than Strength of Will (and the rez).  Notably, it has no heals. It has the same vulnerabilities to debuffs and end drain.

WP can hit 75% S/L which I found helped a lot.

That said, as I main EM/Regen right now, I have found going with the Melee Core Hybrid, to make quite a difference in my Regen's survival and I'm not worried about the passive 10% Damage bonus and it's times of doing more damage, as I was never one to constantly keep it clicked every mission (sometimes better than others).

I would pair Regen with something which offers a health amount of mitigation. The easiest answer would be Ice although I would prefer Ice on pretty much any other AT.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

1 minute ago, BrandX said:

WP can hit 75% S/L which I found helped a lot.

That said, as I main EM/Regen right now, I have found going with the Melee Core Hybrid, to make quite a difference in my Regen's survival and I'm not worried about the passive 10% Damage bonus and it's times of doing more damage, as I was never one to constantly keep it clicked every mission (sometimes better than others).

Tough, Weave, Rune of Protection. Basically toss as much mitigation at Regen as you can because it has none outside of Regen and Healing.

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

1 minute ago, Without_Pause said:

Tough, Weave, Rune of Protection. Basically toss as much mitigation at Regen as you can because it has none outside of Regen and Healing.

I do have tough/weave (still not much in the way of defense on my build).  Would love RoP but that requires 2 power picks to get to and doesn't work with my concept personally.

5 minutes ago, BrandX said:

I do have tough/weave (still not much in the way of defense on my build).  Would love RoP but that requires 2 power picks to get to and doesn't work with my concept personally.

Understandable in the difficulty of making RoP work. At least one of the picks is a travel power. I 1-slot Spirit Ward with Preventive Medicine: Absorb Proc. Even RoP is simply the two +3% IOs, so slot investment is minimal. I skipped two attacks, and 1 armor power to make it work. Skipping the rez in Regen takes care of that side. Skipping one attack tends to be easy enough. 

I should mention Shadow Meld as an 'Oh crap' button.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

14 hours ago, 00Troy00 said:

I've had Regen on my mind lately. I have character ideas for it, but I'm trying to resolve  the following questions before moving forward

1.  IIRC when Instant Healing was a toggle on Live, it was considered extremely overpowered and once you learned to get along with the endurance drain you were invincible.  So they changed it and people literally lost their shit over it.

2.  Regen is a very reactionary (and proactive) defense set, so yes you need to pay attention and click a lot more than most other sets.

3.  Different power sets that play differently.  Willpower is a very newby friendly, set and forget defensive set.  Regen is very proactive and has a much higher ceiling in the hands of a skilled player, IMO.

4.  Revive is the most skippable (I don't think I've ever taken it).  Quick Recovery is skippable, as is Fast Healing if you are a good builder.  I'd have a hard time skipping Moment of Glory.

5.  Since it is a click-happy defense set, I'd avoid offensive sets that are really slow in activation, like Radiation Melee.  Sets that add alternate mitigation (like Staff Melee, or Dark Melee, or even Kinetic Melee) are useful.

Who run Bartertown?

4 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

IIRC when Instant Healing was a toggle on Live, it was considered extremely overpowered and once you learned to get along with the endurance drain you were invincible.  So they changed it and people literally lost their shit over it.

As one of those with IH just before the Nerf, you were either at full health, or dead.

The biggest issue was they did that, plus ED, plus one other nerf (i forget which)  all hit around the same time turning it from overpowered to one of the worst.   Any one of the changes would probably have reigned it in.

Current use: I'm pretty happy with my Martial/Regen brute, but they're a much more nuanced build than I tend to go with and pretty expensive.  And definitely not my most powerful, though with most gameplay, they do fine.   And if I get defeated, I can get right back up.