Electric Armor, what could be done?

boss

Good Afternoon all,

Electric Armor is by far my favorite armor set, on a stalker or scrapper, but it's not nearly as good as the defensive sets. The way it looks to me; is just amazing. What could be done to fix this? For Electric Armor, would something as simple as every power increasing endurance regeneration be enough? So that you don't even have to worry about slotting it in powers or would you guys do something else? Thanks in advance!

Edited by boss
Forgot to add something

I prefer Electric Armor on brutes and tanks due to their 90% resist cap. On scrappers and stalkers you're limited by the 75% resist cap. You could add some defense from set bonuses and pool powers, but there's no base to build on. You could also add the +regen uniques, but you only have Health and Energize to build on.

I'm not sure what powers you're talking about slotting for endurance recovery. Unless you're also taking Electric Melee, the only power you can slot for it is Power Sink.

In order to fix something, you need to point out what is wrong with it and target it. End management isn't an issue with Elec. 

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

1 hour ago, Without_Pause said:

In order to fix something, you need to point out what is wrong with it and target it. End management isn't an issue with Elec. 

See the statement right before yours...

1 hour ago, Uun said:

I prefer Electric Armor on brutes and tanks due to their 90% resist cap. On scrappers and stalkers you're limited by the 75% resist cap. You could add some defense from set bonuses and pool powers, but there's no base to build on. You could also add the +regen uniques, but you only have Health and Energize to build on.

I'm not sure what powers you're talking about slotting for endurance recovery. Unless you're also taking Electric Melee, the only power you can slot for it is Power Sink.

I'm mainly talking about the exact thing you just said. Resist sets are obviously not close to being equal on scrappers and defender because of the resist cap. So, to choose any armor besides the big 3-4 (energy, Bio, stone) is basically nerfing yourself. I get roleplay purposes, but lets be serious here; no one wants to die all the time. Why would I choose Regeneration over Bio armor, besides maybe a theme.

I like elec armor a lot conceptually and visually, but it lacks a bit.

Grounded should do a lot more visually and in terms of power.

Powersink should give scaling res just as the def versions (ea and ice) grant defense

Energize cycles a bit too slowly given the constant damage you take compared to /ea's usage of energize

Powersurge needs a revamp to match the visuals. The crash is too harsh.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, boss said:

See the statement right before yours...

You still aren't targeting the issue. End management isn't Elec's problem. Changing that isn't going to make it an S tier set. What any and every Res based set needs is DDR. Since that isn't happening, you are looking at improving Energize so it recovers more HP and boosts Max HP. Since it lost its damage aura, it could use having a power which increases it's damage. Any T9 which nukes your end and the end of its duration needs to be reworked. There was a time where nukes drain a person's end. That got changed and so should the T9 armors. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

You still aren't targeting the issue. End management isn't Elec's problem. Changing that isn't going to make it an S tier set. What any and every Res based set needs is DDR. Since that isn't happening, you are looking at improving Energize so it recovers more HP and boosts Max HP. Since it lost its damage aura, it could use having a power which increases it's damage. Any T9 which nukes your end and the end of its duration needs to be reworked. There was a time where nukes drain a person's end. That got changed and so should the T9 armors. 

Why are people so difficult? I’m asking if that would fix it for people, i myself don’t know what the solution is or should be, i just want the sets better and hopefully a dev will see the thread and implement some changes.

I think the solution would be to change Power Surge (Electric Armor's tier 9) to something like Willpower's Strength of Will. A click defense with no crash that's immune to recharge buffs. Only instead of the +Res of SoW, I'd give Power Surge a lot of +Defense (All) and +DDR.

The defense would work with the resistance from the rest of the set to really make it nearly unkillable while it was up. This would make Power Surge worth taking (it really isn't right now) and also give Elec high defense when it's needed.

• Like 1

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

6 minutes ago, boss said:

Why are people so difficult? I’m asking if that would fix it for people, i myself don’t know what the solution is or should be, i just want the sets better and hopefully a dev will see the thread and implement some changes.

The best way to get eyes on a set is buy posting actual suggestions in the Suggestions and Feedback forum. Even then, I wish you luck. There are sets so fundamentally underperforming they are at meme level for years. I've posted a suggestion some years ago only for none of it to be implemented. We are unfortunately at the mercy of a volunteer dev group based on their vision for the game. 

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

The best way to get eyes on a set is buy posting actual suggestions in the Suggestions and Feedback forum. Even then, I wish you luck. There are sets so fundamentally underperforming they are at meme level for years. I've posted a suggestion some years ago only for none of it to be implemented. We are unfortunately at the mercy of a volunteer dev group based on their vision for the game. 

And honestly, given their record of adding a gimmick or weird combo to every set they've touched, do we really want them to start working on the armor sets?

I don't know about you but I'm really not interested in playing wack-a-mole with the yellow ring just get Regen or EA to provide reasonable protection.

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

5 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

And honestly, given their record of adding a gimmick or weird combo to every set they've touched, do we really want them to start working on the armor sets?

I don't know about you but I'm really not interested in playing wack-a-mole with the yellow ring just get Regen or EA to provide reasonable protection.

Considering recently a closed beta tester quit over proposed changes to a number of Res armors and Regen due to how radical they were, there's always the 'be careful what you wish for.'

Disclaimer, Elec was not in the list of said armor changes.

Edited by Without_Pause
  • Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

• 2 weeks later
On 9/10/2024 at 10:25 PM, Without_Pause said:

Considering recently a closed beta tester quit over proposed changes to a number of Res armors and Regen due to how radical they were, there's always the 'be careful what you wish for.'

Disclaimer, Elec was not in the list of said armor changes.

Oh Dear, really?

2 minutes ago, boss said:

Oh Dear, really?

And that brings me to my reason for stepping away:

I've been a member of closed beta for some time and lately there have been many frustrating interactions with the power dev team on what changes are acceptable. The most recent round of proposed power changes really cemented by decision to not play anymore. There were insane changes to Bio Armor, Rad Armor, Regeneration, and Dark Armor that were very controversial and will probably never make it into the game. Even though I could respec all my characters that use those sets and build around the changes, I was very unhappy with the direction of the changes. Bio Armor would've been unrecognizable with the proposed changes. Even though the changes probably won't make it to live, it just makes me wonder what data is being used to make those decisions.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

Making insane changes to where sets are unrecognizable and involving two of the more popular Res based armors is a hell of a thing to try with such a niche base of players. 

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

In fairness elec armor was buffed pretty decently in that same test patch. It got dialed back a bit  because the regular complainers couldn't get on board with grounded being a keystone power/playstyle.

The rad changes weren't that significant. Though unpalatable to be sure.

On 9/9/2024 at 4:26 PM, Rhymere said:

You can get a electric armor fx reskin for prismatic aether then use whatever armor set you want

You know, thats actually not a bad idea.

altitus is tingling again.. oh noooooooooooooo... t a bad idea.

A Stone hammer wielding Super Reflexes with an electric reskin.. I can almost.. *scurries of to play with the costume creator*

Edited by Troo
  • Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

You know it's funny because I've been saying for years now that I don't want the devs to touch the armor sets because we wouldn't like the results, they'd probably add a yellow ring or wacky combo system to them, and people just respond with the laughing emoji and/or tell me that I'm wrong or crazy or whatever.

And then * GASP * it turns out that I was right all along. Look, I'm not Nostradamus or anything. I can't see the future. It's just simple pattern recognition. This is why I'm against most changes that get suggested, not because I'm the horrible evil mean not-see troll that a lot of you claim I am, but because I know that the devs will just make it worse by shoe-horning a stupid combo system into it.

Most of you would notice the same things I have if just you got down off of your high-horse for 1 full minute. But, can't do that, no! The Dev Defense League must be ready to charge at a moments notice.

Stone armor (geode) was given a huge buff that seemingly went unnoticed, and ice armor t9 was buffed a bit in that test patch too. EA was nerfed a bit iirc.

Regardless, the bio changes were significant and toppled everything over. 

Maybe we'll eventually see some of the buffs get a second chance at passing if they aren't coupled with the nerfs.

I could only partially understand a nerf to EA if it is being ported to Tankers, but I have a hard time even fully accepting that. I'll have to see what any changes to EA are as I have four builds at 50 across the four ATs who use it. If it's a bug, then fine, but considering Stone exists as one mere example, I'm not sure why EA would need to be scaled back.

Radical changes to popular armors feels like all sorts of FAFO. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

12 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

Radical changes to popular armors feels like all sorts of FAFO.

+1,000,000

FAFO = 2022’s word of the year “f--- around and find out.”

Edited by Troo
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, Frosticus said:

If anything we got a glimpse behind the curtain of how the devs feel the armors stack up against one another. And hopefully they gained some insight about how significant downward change will be received.

I just hope that they actually take our feedback into consideration.