Powerset feedback: Spear Fighting

@Blazar what do you think?

Power                Level                         Effect

Spear Thrust            1           Ranged, Moderate DMG (Lethal), Foe -Defense. A precision throw with your polearm, reducing the target's defense, making them more vulnerable to future attacks.

Sweeping Arc            1          PBAoE, Light DMG (Lethal), Foe Knockdown, Foe -Defense. Spins your polearm, damaging and knocking down nearby foes, weakening their defenses for further attacks.

Impaling Strike         2          Melee, High DMG (Lethal), Foe -Defense, Chance for Stun. A powerful thrust that pierces deep into the enemy, reducing defense and possibly stunning them.

Wide Cleave              6          Melee (Cone AoE), Moderate DMG (Lethal), Foe -Speed, -Defense. Sweeps your polearm in a broad arc, damaging and slowing enemies, while weakening their defenses.

Battle Focus               8          Self +DMG, +ToHit. Boosts your damage and accuracy for a period of time, sharpening your polearm attacks, helping you land devastating blows.

Harpoon Toss            12        Ranged, High DMG (Lethal), Foe Immobilize, -Defense. Throws the polearm like a harpoon, impaling and pinning the target, rendering them unable to move.

Spinning Polearm     18        PBAoE, Moderate DMG (Lethal), Foe -Defense. Spin your weapon in a wide circle, striking all nearby foes and making them more vulnerable to damage.

Grand Impale            26        Melee, Extreme DMG (Lethal), Foe -Defense, Chance for Critical Strike. Delivers a devastating polearm strike, potentially scoring a critical hit and leaving enemies weakened.

Cyclone of Blades      32        PBAoE, High DMG (Lethal), Foe Knockdown, Foe -Defense. Spins violently, unleashing a flurry of lethal strikes that send enemies flying, while shredding their defenses.

Edited by Wingslord24

2 hours ago, Wingslord24 said:

No response??? 

What category does your set belong to? I would assume melee but then you have a ranged attack and a pbaoe kicking it off, which is unheard of. It's also missing taunt/confront if it's melee.

Here's some icons I threw together to illustrate what the set might look like at a glance.

image.png.9eccdf3c5c5a4cf6eb373ab17f103e55.png

AspieAnarchy, Alchemystic, and I have taken our own cracks at a spear set in the past here, here, and here if you want to compare.

Edited by megaericzero
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, if we're going to call things out, a spear thrust is not a throw. So that T1 should be a melee attack, not a ranged attack. And the description of Cyclone of Blades tells me it should be a cone, not a PBAoE. Same thing with Sweeping Arc, though from the name rather than the description in this case. (Which should not be a level 1 available power anyway.) And like @Xandyr said, there are an awful lot of secondary effects on those powers. So either the damage is going to take a massive hit or the powers are going to suffer equal penalties in other areas.

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

Well, if we're going to call things out, a spear thrust is not a throw. So that T1 should be a melee attack, not a ranged attack. And the description of Cyclone of Blades tells me it should be a cone, not a PBAoE. Same thing with Sweeping Arc, though from the name rather than the description in this case. (Which should not be a level 1 available power anyway.) And like @Xandyr said, there are an awful lot of secondary effects on those powers. So either the damage is going to take a massive hit or the powers are going to suffer equal penalties in other areas.

What do you suggest be done?

15 minutes ago, Wingslord24 said:
1 hour ago, Rudra said:

What do you suggest be done?

... I said what I suggest be done in my post. Spear Thrust becomes a melee attack, not a ranged attack. Both Sweeping Arc and Cyclone of Blades become cones, not PBAoEs. And you either reduce the number of secondary effects in each power or be content with the set not hitting as hard as any other set in the game.

(Edit: Oh yeah, and Impaling Strike and Sweeping Arc trade places.)

Edited by Rudra

13 hours ago, megaericzero said:

What category does your set belong to? I would assume melee but then you have a ranged attack and a pbaoe kicking it off, which is unheard of. It's also missing taunt/confront if it's melee.

Here's some icons I threw together to illustrate what the set might look like at a glance.

image.png.9eccdf3c5c5a4cf6eb373ab17f103e55.png

AspieAnarchy, Alchemystic, and I have taken our own cracks at a spear set in the past here, here, and here if you want to compare.

where did you get the icons?