Framerate issues, at random?

Necrodomis

During gameplay, I am experiencing some pretty drastic framerate drops.

Sometimes, it is running smooth as one could imagine, but if I go to pan the scamera angle around while moving, in or out of missions, framerate drops to near unplayability. Is this an issue others are seeing?

I am not sure how to tweak it further, and I play Apex Legends and Battlefield 4 on this system. Any tricks or tips? I have changed the game to windowed mode, at lowest possible settings.

From discord:

retchedYesterday at 11:16 AM

@everyone Important update incoming from our friends in the SCOTS team.

We finally have confirmation on user's Intel integrated graphics & Windows 10 issues. A community discussion with a member of the team behind Homecoming and SCORE revealed that both Intel and Windows 10 offer next-to-no support for OpenGL or legacy graphics engines, partially due to Microsoft's push for DirectX; Windows 10 doesn't even support hardware-accelerated OpenGL at all.

Most of these problems have been experienced by people using modern laptops. We're working on a better way to broadcast these problems for them to know about, and also discussed some possible future software solutions that could be built to overcome this hurdle and keep City of Heroes' game client functional on future hardware.

The latter will be further explored by our team down the road once server proliferation and i24 development is at a comfortable stage, but if anyone has a development group familiar with this type of development who would like to get started or lay out the groundwork, there's a lot of people out there who would appreciate it.

I don't get that but I keep my visuals set low. I know the laser show in Pocket D does a number on my framerate when I face it, though, even from another room. Always has, but at least it used to be turned off most of the time.

I also use the following macro to occasionally clear out the cache, sync the connection, and set the client so that if I al+tab out it will use minimal resources until I bring it back in focus. Mainly it's clearing the cache after zoning helps performance.

/macro rgfx "sync$$reloadgfx$$maxinactivefps 2"

• 2 weeks later

I have dropped the particle count, yes.

It would appear that one Ultra mode, everything maxed, I have zero FPS drops when in missions that are certain maps. Sewer maps, and maps with tunnels and water, I suppose, flare up the FPS drop for a while.

Leaving missions and re-entering the open world, such as AP is also a trigger moment, but the open world FPS drop never actually fully goes away, instead it stops occasionally. But when I turn my toon while running, I start dropping FPS again. It's pretty rough. I am supposedly able to use up to OpenGL 4.5, but I have no clue on how to FORCE that OpenGL.

Any clues? Is there a Third Party program that would let me force the OpenGL when loading the game?

I'm working on trying to get my wife's Laptop to work with the OpenGL issues.

At current, I've already tried the fix in the forum from https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,372.0.html

This didn't work as the laptop is still experiencing framerate drops. I've already dropped everything that I can.

If someone comes up with another fix, that's be great.

(For the record, the Graphics Chip is the intel 620, if that means anything)

From discord:

retchedYesterday at 11:16 AM

@everyone Important update incoming from our friends in the SCOTS team.

We finally have confirmation on user's Intel integrated graphics & Windows 10 issues. A community discussion with a member of the team behind Homecoming and SCORE revealed that both Intel and Windows 10 offer next-to-no support for OpenGL or legacy graphics engines, partially due to Microsoft's push for DirectX; Windows 10 doesn't even support hardware-accelerated OpenGL at all.

Most of these problems have been experienced by people using modern laptops. We're working on a better way to broadcast these problems for them to know about, and also discussed some possible future software solutions that could be built to overcome this hurdle and keep City of Heroes' game client functional on future hardware.

The latter will be further explored by our team down the road once server proliferation and i24 development is at a comfortable stage, but if anyone has a development group familiar with this type of development who would like to get started or lay out the groundwork, there's a lot of people out there who would appreciate it.

That really explains a lot! My laptop runs in windows 10 and intel integrated graphics. My FPS drastically drops in certain locations. I was wondering why because I am able to play Guiild Wars 2 on high graphic settings with no issue. Here’s to hoping for a solution!! Because I totally abandoned years of progression with Gw2 for CoX. 😂

How high is your FSAA turned up?  I'm on a fairly good beast of a rig and even it has issues if I try to go to 16x.  All the other graphics options don't faze it but that one does.

Absolutely right. The first time I launched the game, I was so confident in my computer that I turned all graphical options to max. I discovered that pushing FSAA above 8x was a mistake !

• 3 years later
2 hours ago, ADRANU5 said:

Any updates on this FPS drop issues on Integrated GPU. I have an Intel HD 520 and im having this problem

Lower the resolution and/or renderscale value, lower the draw distance, and turn off vsync, antialiasing, and name plates. The biggest problem with integrated graphics is that they don't have a lot of memory to work with, and when they run out it slows everything down. The graphics engine was also never fully optimized after the last upgrade, so that doesn't help. If you get good framerates indoors but it drops when in populated areas or if looking in a particular direction there isn't much you can do. It's simply a limitation of the client and your graphics subsystem.