In-Game Backgrounds

Is it possible at all to have options for the backgrounds on two screens in the game? Being able to change the account login background and character select screen background to be either City of Heroes, City of Villains, or Going Rogue? Right now the login screen is City of Heroes only (unless you log in game and then back out), the character select screen has the City of Villains background only. I'm not even sure if the red tint is actually a City of Villains background or not, but it makes it seem that way.

• City Council

I don't know about the character select background, but you should be able to set your preferred login theme with -uiskin in launch parameters. -uiskin 1 is CoV, -uiskin 2 is GR. (0, for reference, is CoH. There's not one for Freedom; so if you want that you'll need to do some much more complex mucking about.)

"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

I don't know about the character select background, but you should be able to set your preferred login theme with -uiskin in launch parameters. -uiskin 1 is CoV, -uiskin 2 is GR. (0, for reference, is CoH. There's not one for Freedom; so if you want that you'll need to do some much more complex mucking about.)

This is a godsend, thank you!

this doesnt actually work. The music/backgrounds are offset and mangled (going rogue uses the freedom theme for example) and it resets if you ever go back to the login screen or quit to login/css from in-game.

it's a shame because the current OG CoH login + music and freedom css/cac background are really cheap looking/sounding together, and I'd like to just be able to use the freedom UI and music again. Or going rogue for that matter.

231292c19dd204589dad10bc8f7460b30381cc06_small.gif.093417962b264ce2a68a88daec0bd8dc.gif

this doesnt actually work. The music/backgrounds are offset and mangled (going rogue uses the freedom theme for example) and it resets if you ever go back to the login screen or quit to login/css from in-game.

it's a shame because the current OG CoH login + music and freedom css/cac background are really cheap looking/sounding together, and I'd like to just be able to use the freedom UI and music again. Or going rogue for that matter.

Huh, it's been working for me, I set mine for CoV very early on and haven't had any trouble with it.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

-cov in the launch parameters works, too.  Don't think there's a shortcut like that for Going Rogue... or I haven't found one.

-Whenever you log out of a character and return to the select screen, it uses the alignment of the character you logged out of.

-I don't know anything about Freedom.

• City Council

It does, just evidently not the way you want it to. The reset has always been a thing - it's based off of whatever side the toon you just logged out of was, just like it was on live pre-Freedom. If you really want the Freedom menu and theme, go dig them out from the i24 piggs and stick them in the data folder, mimicking the folder structure exactly (I think loading screens are [install folder]/data/texture_library/loading_screens or something like that).

"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

• 1 year later

Well, after much searching, FINALLY found something on this topic.  I remember I used to have the GR theme and music play as default every time I launched the game, or quit to character select (even if i just played a hero or villain - not just a Praetorian), and even in character creation.  I remember there was a setting in the options we could choose to select that theme and bummed it's not there.

When I found this thread, I thought there was hope of switching themes, but after reading all the above, I'm not sure there is?  What little is explained, doesn't help much.  Where do you go to type in "-uiskin 2" for the GR theme?  In looking for the i24 piggs as suggested, there is nothing referencing "loading screens" in the data/texture_library folder (there's just Maps and the GUI only has icons and badges).  And there is nothing else anywhere that denote where i24 files are or may be.

Can we get a step-by-step instructional on how to switch themes?  ....if this is even possible?  ....if not, then Devs, can we please get this ability back like did on live?   Thanks.

• 1 year later

*Update* I finally found out how to do this. If you open up the Launcher and click Options, on the left click the Homecoming section and type in the extra launch parameters line -cov for the City of Villains login screen and -uiskin 2 for Going Rogue login screen. Leave that line blank again if you want to go back to the City of Heroes login screen. Hopes this helps some people!

I second this because I, too, am having trouble figuring out how to switch the themes for the login screen. I think I found where you type in the "uiskin 2" line or whichever you prefer but it's still not changing it from the City of Heroes login screen. Also it's been a couple of years since I've messed with a computer itself so I feel pretty new at this again.

Edited by MustardManMatt
Found the solution to the problem.