Perma pet powers

Some Random User

I'm making a Controller with Illusion/Dark and was thinking of perma-ing the pet powers. I'm told [Phantom Army] isn't a clear-cut "you want to perma this" power, but if I'm going to I also plan to perma [Dark Servant]. I thought the forum could provide more guidance on this topic.

• Are there significant downsides to this plan?
  • Are there multiple ways to slot this? What're the trade-offs?
  • Other than Luck of the Gambler, are there any sets I should look at or can I just use Recharge I.O.s?

So Dark Servant is actually permanent by default (240s duration, 240s recharge).

For phantom army you'll need a total of 300% recharge. You can get 95% by slotting the power itself for recharge and 70% from Hasten which means you need 135% from IOs. Keep in mind the rule of 5 means you can't get any particular bonus more than five times. Slotting 5 LotG IOs (easy to do on this combo) and 5 Purple or Superior ATO sets gives you a total of 87.5% global recharge leaving you with 42.5% left. There's a lot of way you can get that last bit, so you'll probably want to play around with Pine's to find the one you like. One thing to keep in mind is that an alpha slot ability can add a decent amount of extra recharge.

Another question to ask yourself is how much do you care about a few seconds of downtime? If you get to about 90-100% global recharge your recharge time will be about 65-70 seconds or so (since hasten isn't permanent at that level it will move around depending on how hasten cycles) which raises the question is it worth warping your build enough to get it to actually permanent at the cost of other potential set bonuses (such as ranged defense). There's no right or wrong answer here but it's a question that's worth asking yourself.

Defender Smash!

I'm making a Controller with Illusion/Dark and was thinking of perma-ing the pet powers. I'm told [Phantom Army] isn't a clear-cut "you want to perma this" power,

Phantom army is a clear cut you want to, if not perma, at least near-perma power.  Phantom army is your strongest source of both damage and control (through their built in taunt), so to me it really is the keystone to the whole set.  You want to get as close to perma as you possibly can without completing forgoing other things.  IIRC I got my illusion/dark PA back on live down to about 65 second recharge and that was sufficiently close for most purposes, even the GM soloing I tried, although it did let a pot shot or two through during the downtimes, it was typically survivable.

You also want as much recharge as you can get for howling twilight to keep its -regen debuff up on AV's and GM's as much as possible.

Don't forget the easy and cheap +20% recharge buff you can get from a supergroup base now.

I'm making a Controller with Illusion/Dark and was thinking of perma-ing the pet powers. I'm told [Phantom Army] isn't a clear-cut "you want to perma this" power,

Phantom army is a clear cut you want to, if not perma, at least near-perma power.  Phantom army is your strongest source of both damage and control (through their built in taunt), so to me it really is the keystone to the whole set.  You want to get as close to perma as you possibly can without completing forgoing other things.  IIRC I got my illusion/dark PA back on live down to about 65 second recharge and that was sufficiently close for most purposes, even the GM soloing I tried, although it did let a pot shot or two through during the downtimes, it was typically survivable.

You also want as much recharge as you can get for howling twilight to keep its -regen debuff up on AV's and GM's as much as possible.

Don't forget the easy and cheap +20% recharge buff you can get from a supergroup base now.

For some Illusion builds, this is true... Cold, Storm, Poison don't have good survival tools, and are in danger if PA drops for 5-10 seconds. Well, /Storm does if you use Power Boost, but that's a limited build.

However, /Dark has such strong defensive tools that it doesn't have to worry about a PA drop. You can put out over 100% -Damage on an AV, and they only resist it with their armor, strangely enough, so you can lower their damage by a ton. You can also put out over -100% ToHit (I think maybe even -150%), and even with an AV's resists, that still makes a huge dent in their accuracy. Add in Fade's Defense bonuses, and you can easily face an AV with floored ToHit chances, doing half damage, with a strong Heal ready to use. It's not a build that really worries about a PA drop. Against non AVs, it can't put out such great -ToHit in an area, but it can put out over 70%, plus softcapped Defenses, so... again, you're not really worried about a drop.

In the end, /Dark also has nice powers that benefit from a high global Recharge, so you DO want to build for a high Recharge. But it's not such a paramount build constraint that you should drastically weaken in just to get in some more +Recharge.

Some of the sets don't reach 50. Can anyone fill me in on what pre-50 sets are still worth slotting for Recharge? Should I use Invention Enhancements instead of sets because the pickings are slim in the sets? How do I easily spot global as opposed to one-power recharge?

The easiest source of global recharge for a controller is from Basilisk's Gaze.  Slot 4 different Basilisk's Gaze IOs in a hold power to get +7.5% global recharge.  I typically prefer Acc/End/Rchg/Hold, Acc/Hold, Acc/Rchg, and Rchg/Hold, though you may prefer an End/Rchg/Hold in place of the Rchg/Hold if your power has a high endurance cost or recharges quickly.