Screenshotting advice (a.k.a. Help! My screenshot key doesn't work!)

Hyperstrike

Note: IN THE FUTURE

If screenshotting isn't working, likely it means you've either, somehow, unbound the screenshot key.

If you need access to dynamic screenshotting (to "catch stuff in the act", look at rebinding the keys in question or completely resetting keybinds to stock and rebinding.

OR

You've installed the game somewhere affected by User Account Control which actively interferes with writes to C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (x86) and C:\ProgramData.

For future reference, I recommend installing to C:\City of Heroes

Also, if you are on Windows Vista or later, you have access to the Windows Snipping tool.  This tool will allow you to screenshot a rectangular area, a whole window, or full-screen.

You can then save as a Bitmap/JPEG/PNG/GIF.

Or copy it into Word or an image editor.

You should just be able to hit the Windows key and start typing "snipping" and it should come up in the search.

It's not terribly good for "in the moment" screenshotting.  But if you need a static screenshot, it works great.

Also, there are various other screenshotting software packages out there.  Stuff that can be bound to alternative keys or key combinations.

Something like FRAPS, for instance.

WindowsSnippingTool.png.42fd4cbe1a7e6da430ba3007d0ed349a.png

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Delete if this isn't something you guys want on the forums, but...

For those who'd like something more powerful than this GREAT suggestion from Hyperstrike, I've been using this photo editor for decades now (and by use I mean like 1% of what it does) and it makes screenies real easy to do while in-game. The link is something I just now found when looking for something "fair use" (this is old, but modern) as they make new versions and retire support for old ones over time. When configured, you can simply use the toolbar controls in the app to activate a continuous screen-shot function (each combo keypress = a new image) that works independent of the OS's or the Game's keybinds.

Imma go cry now because this is Newer than my version. >.<

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Chiming in (again) to mention that you may Also have a graphics card overlay software already installed on your computer. In my case, I have an NVidia based card and it came with the GForce Experience software that happens to include a screen capture function as well. I didn't honestly know/care about it, but I do manage to trigger it on occasion as I'm playing the game. :p

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)