how tall is Miss Liberty?

My point was more that in every day spoken conversations there would be 0 difference between Ms. Liberty & Miss Liberty. As such there's very little reason to "spell" them differently instead of just having  "Miss Liberty" be an inherited name, except that it works as a useful differentiation in a text-only game like CoH.

In my neck of the UK people pronounce Ms and Miss differently.

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

My point was more that in every day spoken conversations there would be 0 difference between Ms. Liberty & Miss Liberty. As such there's very little reason to "spell" them differently instead of just having  "Miss Liberty" be an inherited name, except that it works as a useful differentiation in a text-only game like CoH.

I guess I see a difference in the sense that some women are very particular about how the are addressed.  Would there be a difference for you if one was Miss Liberty and Mrs. Liberty?

I’m not arguing just curious about your viewpoint

I may be kinda old, so not in touch with current trands and modes of correct speech, but when I was growing up ( 70s/80s) Mrs is pronounced Missus, Miss is pronounced as it is spelled, and Ms is pronounced Mizz to differentiate it from Miss.

Yes, it originated with the late 60 and 70s "Women's Lib" movement and intended as the feminine equivalent of Mr, which doesn't denote mariage status. Many women found it sexist that women were judged base on marital status while men weren't.

And yet Miss, Ms. and Mrs does exactly that. Its a form of address that denotes marriage status, while men are only called Mr. It boggles my mind how they can complain about it and then demand that they get called something different based on the very thing they are complaining about.

I call every female Miss regardless of age or martial status.

In the US, too.  Miss is pronounced like the word "miss", but "Ms." is pronounced "miz".

If there is "0 difference" in the way you pronounce those two words, you're pronouncing at least one of them wrong.

And yet Miss, Ms. and Mrs does exactly that. Its a form of address that denotes marriage status, while men are only called Mr. It boggles my mind how they can complain about it and then demand that they get called something different based on the very thing they are complaining about.

I call every female Miss regardless of age or martial status.

I don’t understand what you are saying.  The use of Miss and Mrs. date back several hundred years.  Specifically, because men are always called Mr., a growing movement of women started using Ms. to have a form of address that doesn’t define any marital status.  The “complainers” if you will, agreed with you.  So if you are being consistent with Mr., the Ms. is the appropriate form of address.

I’m not for a second saying you can’t call every woman Miss.  it is improper English, but pretty high on the pedantic scale, so no one (myself included) would care and most wouldn’t even know.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I guess I see a difference in the sense that some women are very particular about how the are addressed.  Would there be a difference for you if one was Miss Liberty and Mrs. Liberty?

I’m not arguing just curious about your viewpoint

I may be kinda old, so not in touch with current trands and modes of correct speech, but when I was growing up ( 70s/80s) Mrs is pronounced Missus, Miss is pronounced as it is spelled, and Ms is pronounced Mizz to differentiate it from Miss.

Yes, it originated with the late 60 and 70s "Women's Lib" movement and intended as the feminine equivalent of Mr, which doesn't denote mariage status. Many women found it sexist that women were judged base on marital status while men weren't.

To my knowledge, there used to be two male titles, but the exact meaning has shifted around over time to make things confusing. As Mister (Mr.) is to Missus (Mrs.), Master (Ms.) was to Mistress (Miss.). But the fact that Miss is actually an abbreviation of Mistress got lost about the same time Master being used for under-aged boys fell out of popular use. So when the 60's rolled round, nobody remembered that Ms. was technically the male form of Miss. and got co-opted as it's own term.

Languages change over time, and English changes especially fast. :) I'm old enough to have been around in the 60's/70's when Ms. got co-opted, and I remember being confused as to what was going on.

In the US, too.  Miss is pronounced like the word "miss", but "Ms." is pronounced "miz".

If there is "0 difference" in the way you pronounce those two words, you're pronouncing at least one of them wrong.

Perhaps it depends on where you live? I've never heard anyone specifically called or request to be called "Mizz", at least not to differentiate it from "Miss".  Some people kinda slur the difference between them due to accent or such, like my mother pronounces "Wash" as "Warsh" cause she grew up in rural TX... but at the very least I have never in my life, in any setting, had anyone bring up that there was an intentional difference between "Mizz" & "Miss".  Regional dialect differences perhaps?

A thought I just had that kinda goes against my point but not really, I think at least once when I was filling out paperwork & it had the boxes at the top to check your preferred Mr./Mrs./Ms., there was an option for "Mz.", and I remember thinking that was very odd... still different though.