Tankability

Sechill71511

Recently discussed in this thread: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,6698.0.html

Short answer is that Invuln is probably the easiest to build since all you really need to do is address the psychic damage hole, while the overall toughest is probably Dark Armor with Bio Armor, Radiation Armor, Shield Defense and Willpower all being very strong contenders.    Opinions vary on whether Elec belongs on that list or as a more mid-tier powerset.  Stone used to be considered king, but it's built around Granite Armor and you take some pretty significant penalties while using that - and without it, the set doesn't quite measure up to the others.  Ice and SR, being Defense sets, don't generally see as much benefit from Inventions but if build properly can still be very tanky.  Fire is mainly used for something other than tanking.

There can be no defense like elaborate courtesy - E.V. Lucas

My AE arcs:

Ex Machina, the story of the Tin Mage Corps.  Arc ID #11781

Recently discussed in this thread: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,6698.0.html

Fire is mainly used for something other than tanking.

I disagree with you on the Fire Tank for if built right Fire Tank can be great tank, my main tank on both live and now is my fire/fire tank, which I have done Mo TFs without any problems. I have also out tanked many other tanks. any tank can be a great tank if you build it right. I have also changed peoples thoughts on my fire tank.

Fire can definitely be built to be tough enough.  It also has holes like knockback protection that are easy to plug.  You depend to a great extent on your self-heal, which makes -recharge a killer, but is the broadest possible spectrum of incoming damage protection.  Fire also has primary powers that distract mobs and make them run away, one reason why fire/spines is a popular combination: slows keep 'em in the patch.  Just steer clear of attack sets with excessive artificial lag like Energy Melee. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

What primary has the most tankabilty. I want to be able to tank massive damage without relying on heals. I’m thinking invuln but wondering what else to do is it the best or is there better

More detail, please.

Per or post io's?

If post, purple heavy, or just normals?

If pre, what other qualifications?

Teaming? Solo?

What primary has the most tankabilty. I want to be able to tank massive damage without relying on heals. I’m thinking invuln but wondering what else to do is it the best or is there better

If you don't want to rely on heals, then any tank you take is going to face plant. Heals = damage mitigation. Invulnerability gets you to tanky goodness the fastest but has no sustain short of Dull Pain which is a long cool down.

The Psi hole is problematic because you see a lot of it late game (and all game red side) and Inv Tankers have to plug it all with set bonuses / globals (which means you're looking at something like 50% maxed out on sets).

Electric, Radiation and Dark are also great Tanky sets that also have a lot of sustain (much more so than Inv).

I've found Bio to be great, but can be too fiddly and meta for some.

Will Power I'm not sold on but I have yet to test it out all the way through (it also has great sustain though).

Fire/Ice can both be serviceable but for "tanky" they fall to the bottom of my list.

I'm liking Electric the best these days for reaching resist caps on most everything with Toxic being the hole (not a ton of Toxic late game). Also has among the best sustain between Energize and Power Sink making it a pleasure to play.

Invuln. 800mill deep, incarnates done right...

90% resist to s/l/f/c/t, 83% to psi/ene/neg

45+% def to all

Massive Regen, rebirth heal and dull pain. Non-deathable.

45+% def to all

#ShowUsTheBuild

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

45+% def to all

Yeah calling bs on this.

Not to mention you still have to go through having the PSI hole the whole way to getting close to that.

Inv is a great set. Just pointing out the pain points (few that there are).

45+% def to all

Yeah calling bs on this.

Not to mention you still have to go through having the PSI hole the whole way to getting close to that.

I'm actually playing him now. I'll copy the build from pines.

45+% def to all

Yeah calling bs on this.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 2.22

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Johnny On The Spot: Level 50 Mutation Tanker

Primary Power Set: Invulnerability

Secondary Power Set: Super Strength

Power Pool: Flight

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Fighting

Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Temp Invulnerability

• (A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
  • (3) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (7) Unbreakable Guard - Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (13) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance
  • (34) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (36) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)

Level 1: Jab

• (A) Absolute Amazement - Stun
  • (48) Absolute Amazement - Stun/Recharge
  • (48) Absolute Amazement - Accuracy/Stun/Recharge
  • (50) Absolute Amazement - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (50) Absolute Amazement - Endurance/Stun
  • (50) Absolute Amazement - Chance for ToHit Debuff

Level 2: Dull Pain

• (A) Doctored Wounds - Heal/Endurance
  • (3) Doctored Wounds - Endurance/Recharge
  • (7) Doctored Wounds - Heal/Recharge
  • (17) Doctored Wounds - Heal/Endurance/Recharge
  • (34) Doctored Wounds - Heal
  • (34) Doctored Wounds - Recharge

Level 4: Air Superiority

• (A) Hecatomb - Damage
  • (5) Hecatomb - Damage/Recharge
  • (5) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (11) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (11) Hecatomb - Damage/Endurance
  • (33) Hecatomb - Chance of Damage(Negative)

Level 6: Super Jump

• (A) Winter's Gift - Slow Resistance (20%)

Level 8: Unyielding

• (9) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (9) Unbreakable Guard - Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (13) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance
  • (36) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (36) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP

Level 10: Taunt

• (A) Perfect Zinger - Chance for Psi Damage

Level 12: Haymaker

• (A) Superior Might of the Tanker - Accuracy/Damage
  • (15) Superior Might of the Tanker - Damage/Recharge
  • (15) Superior Might of the Tanker - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (17) Superior Might of the Tanker - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (27) Superior Might of the Tanker - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (31) Superior Might of the Tanker - Recharge/Chance for +Res(All)

Level 14: Boxing

• (A) Empty

Level 16: Kick

• (A) Empty

Level 18: Invincibility

• (A) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance
  • (19) Shield Wall - Defense/Recharge
  • (19) Shield Wall - Endurance/Recharge
  • (27) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • (37) Shield Wall - Defense
  • (40) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)

Level 20: Cross Punch

• (A) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage
  • (21) Superior Avalanche - Damage/Endurance
  • (21) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (25) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (33) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (33) Superior Avalanche - Recharge/Chance for Knockdown

Level 22: Knockout Blow

• (A) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Accuracy/Damage
  • (23) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Damage/RechargeTime
  • (23) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime
  • (25) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (31) Superior Gauntleted Fist - RechargeTime/+Absorb
  • (31) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 24: Resist Physical Damage

• (A) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%

Level 26: Combat Jumping

• (A) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage

Level 28: Tough

• (29) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (29) Unbreakable Guard - Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 30: Tough Hide

• (A) Gift of the Ancients - Defense/Endurance
  • (37) Gift of the Ancients - Defense/Recharge
  • (37) Gift of the Ancients - Defense
  • (42) Gift of the Ancients - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • (42) Gift of the Ancients - Run Speed +7.5%
  • (42) Gift of the Ancients - Endurance/Recharge

Level 32: Resist Energies

• (A) Impervium Armor - Psionic Resistance
  • (43) Impervium Armor - Resistance/Endurance/Recharge
  • (43) Impervium Armor - Resistance/Endurance
  • (43) Impervium Armor - Resistance
  • (46) Impervium Armor - Resistance/Recharge
  • (46) Impervium Armor - Endurance/Recharge

Level 35: Focused Accuracy

• (A) Endurance Reduction IO

Level 38: Foot Stomp

• (A) Armageddon - Damage
  • (39) Armageddon - Damage/Recharge
  • (39) Armageddon - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (39) Armageddon - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (40) Armageddon - Damage/Endurance
  • (40) Armageddon - Chance for Fire Damage

Level 41: Physical Perfection

• (A) Miracle - +Recovery

Level 44: Weave

• (A) Gift of the Ancients - Defense/Endurance
  • (45) Gift of the Ancients - Defense/Recharge
  • (45) Gift of the Ancients - Endurance/Recharge
  • (45) Gift of the Ancients - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • (46) Gift of the Ancients - Run Speed +7.5%
  • (48) Gift of the Ancients - Defense

Level 47: Resist Elements

• (A) Aegis - Psionic/Status Resistance

Level 49: Rage

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 2: Swift

• (A) Run Speed IO

Level 2: Health

• (A) Numina's Convalesence - +Regeneration/+Recovery

Level 2: Hurdle

• (A) Jumping IO

Level 2: Stamina

• (A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Gauntlet

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Sprint

• (A) Empty

Level 2: Rest

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 0: The Atlas Medallion

Level 50: Cardiac Core Paragon

Level 50: Melee Core Embodiment

Level 50: Reactive Radial Flawless Interface

Level 50: Rebirth Radial Epiphany

------------

Kruunch, if you are the original Kruunch from live, who authored the original Kruunch's guide to invuln and ss, I'm kind of disappointed in you.

Rather unkind to arbitrarily "Call BS" on me, assuming i would lie, rather than asking me how i did it, or trying yourself. There's the build. 90% s/l/f/c/t, 83% ene/neg, 87% to PSIONIC.

Defense is overcap with 3 foes in range, 45% with 1.

Sigh. It's not rocket surgery, all i did was play around with pines and there it is.

A few pointers: jab and punch suck, air sup and crosspunch are far better. skip punch and jab, use air sup and crosspunch in their place as the build shows. the build levels fine, as i always build to play all the way up to 50. at 50, i swapped low end sets for the purples and superiors, and then on into incarnates to pick up mroe resist, more end redux and more heal. No need for rage until 49, due to the crash and the fact that tanking on teams doesn't really require it. Also, once you get all the high end sets, the damage res and the def are so high, the rage crash is meaningless, i can't even tell the difference between crash and no crash.

I rarely, if ever, use dull pain. If you play on Excelsior, i'll demonstrate it to you. I'm kinda let down man, really. Kruunch's guide to invuln put me on the path. As an after thought, and an example, i just walked through the Maria Jenkins arc tonight, facetanking all the AV's, including the AV's that spam ene/neg, without having to break a sweat.

Well sure, Rebirth Destiny and Melee Hybrid have "massive regen". That's not anything to do with whether Invuln is the tankiest though. Anyone can take those. And you are also pretty far away from the advertised "45+% def to all" (although to be fair, with 8+ foes in melee range, you'll get 45+% def to most things, though still not all).

Well sure, Rebirth Destiny and Melee Hybrid have "massive regen". That's not anything to do with whether Invuln is the tankiest though. Anyone can take those. And you are also pretty far away from the advertised "45+% def to all" (although to be fair, with 8+ foes in melee range, you'll get 45+% def to most things, though still not all).

Being that almost all damage types have two tags, it is roughly 45 to all of one or another damage types, which would apply in all situations. With 1 foe in range. With 3, overcap. With 8, over 50.

Temp powers (like Incarnates Hybrid and Destiny) generally aren't factored when talking about steady-state tanking.  Because you're not running at that level all the time.  It's like going "I'm Resist capped to everything!  In Unstoppable..."

Things like Alpha and Interface are considered acceptable, as they're an always-on effect that only stops when you Exemplar down, like any other IO/power.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Being that almost all damage types have two tags, it is roughly 45 to all of one or another damage types, which would apply in all situations. With 1 foe in range. With 3, overcap. With 8, over 50.

Not every attack is tagged Smashing or Lethal though. Lots of things are, but not everything. With one foe in range, you have 41.95% Defense to Smashing and Lethal according to the build you linked. Which is good, but not quite the 45% you said earlier. And S/L are your highest. E/N/F/C Defense are all in the 30s. And Psionic Defense is 18%.

Like I said, a long way from "45% Defense to all".

Temp powers (like Incarnates Hybrid and Destiny) generally aren't factored when talking about steady-state tanking.  Because you're not running at that level all the time.  It's like going "I'm Resist capped to everything!  In Unstoppable..."

Things like Alpha and Interface are considered acceptable, as they're an always-on effect that only stops when you Exemplar down, like any other IO/power.

That's kinda just debating semantics. Hybrid has an auto always on portion. It has a 120sec buff. When it's down, destiny rebirth is up. When either are up or down, dull pain is there. I'm not sure there's a valid reason not to consider them, as this is not an "afk tank" thread. If we start placing made up rules on what constitutes valid forms of discussable tanking, then dull pain is out, it's a clickie. Any other temp clickie from any pool or set is out, by that logic. Some idea of steady state? Ok, then I guess we mean auto passive, toggle only tanking?

Not every attack is tagged Smashing or Lethal though. Lots of things are, but not everything. With one foe in range, you have 41.95% Defense to Smashing and Lethal according to the build you linked. Which is good, but not quite the 45% you said earlier. And S/L are your highest. E/N/F/C Defense are all in the 30s. And Psionic Defense is 18%.

You're not using all the sliders. Edit: my bad 42. And 45 with 3. And 50 with 6. You got me, a whopping 3%, my bad

You're not using all the sliders. Edit: my bad 42. And 45 with 3. And 50 with 6. You got me, a whopping 3%, my bad

You still seem to be under the impression that S/L are synonymous with "all".

Homeskillet, you get the point. The def is part of the whole kit, s/l is over 45, ene is high 30's... Etc. Positional are high, resist is maxed out. Almost all attacks are dual tagged, and many have hybrid damage, such as ene/sl. The point of trying to be tangentially correct, and positionally wrong, is remiss.

Homeskillet, you get the point. The def is part of the whole kit, s/l is over 45, ene is high 30's... Etc. Positional are high, resist is maxed out. Almost all attacks are dual tagged, and many have hybrid damage, such as ene/sl. The point of trying to be tangentially correct, and positionally wrong, is remiss.

Er, what? Your S/L is under 45. 42 is less than 45. Not sure what you think you are proving. "Ene is high 30s". Last I checked, that also is less than 45. And for attacks that are tagged both Smashing and Energy, the game uses only the highest of the two. It does not add your Smashing and Energy Defense together. (Actually... is that why you think you have 45% def to all?)

You can dance around all you like, but in the end, you got caught in a lie. You said you had "45% Defense to all". You don't. With one foe in range, you don't have 45% to anything, let alone everything. You do have 42% Defense to many things, but like I said above (and I guess you missed it), not all attacks are tagged Smashing or Lethal. (If this was an honest mistake, then say it was a mistake. Continuing to stand by the "45% def to all" nonsense when anyone can click on your build and see it isn't true makes no sense.)

And even with 10 foes in melee range, you still don't quite have 45% defense to all. Your defense against Ranged Psionic attacks will only ever be around 18% no matter how many foes are around you. (And, I guess I have to point out that 18% is also less than 45%.)

"Positional are high". Really? 16% is high?

Er, what? Your S/L is under 45. 42 is less than 45. Not sure what you think you are proving. "Ene is high 30s". Last I checked, that also is less than 45. And for attacks that are tagged both Smashing and Energy, the game uses only the highest of the two. It does not add your Smashing and Energy Defense together. (Actually... is that why you think you have 45% def to all?)

You can dance around all you like, but in the end, you got caught in a lie. You said you had "45% Defense to all". You don't. With one foe in range, you don't have 45% to anything, let alone everything. You do have 42% Defense to many things, but like I said above (and I guess you missed it), not all attacks are tagged Smashing or Lethal. (If this was an honest mistake, then say it was a mistake. Continuing to stand by the "45% def to all" nonsense when anyone can click on your build and see it isn't true makes no sense.)

And even with 10 foes in melee range, you still don't quite have 45% defense to all. Your defense against Ranged Psionic attacks will only ever be around 18% no matter how many foes are around you. (And, I guess I have to point out that 18% is also less than 45%.)

"Positional are high". Really? 16% is high?

Sigh. Amusing as it is, the meandering fabrication you're enamoured of is less than enthralling. You're debating with yourself. Clarity on the issue was attained before you strolled by the thread with little to contribute. The angles you attempt to assign to me are yours, adroitly so. Thanks for your contribution, and please remember, don't feed the trolls.