Dark/Dark

krj12

I had a Dark/Dark defender years ago, that I intended to be a lockdown type character for trials like BAF ( where you could supposedly stop Marauder from leaping if you had enough recharge), and also where you needed to stop the escapees at the doors.  Never had the chance to fully load him out before the game was shut down though.

If I wanted to recreate the character would you recommend still going defender, or are other archtypes like controller better?

Allow me to partially disagree with the previous poster. Although certainly dark control has the tools to excel in itrials, don't sell a D3 short. Between Tar Patch, Tentacles and Fearsome Stare, dark/dark has all the tools in the kit to be an all star, especially in locking down escaped prisoners in a BAF.

I'd go for Dark/Ice for the holds and the heavy -recharge synergy. Dark has two holds of its own, one from the servant, which starts to count when the adds are gone. You'll be locking down left and right with that many holds. Howling does -50% recharge for MMs. I'm sure it's not less for defenders. That combined with the ice attacks  is going to drop their attack rate hard.

Dark/dark has a nice synergy in the two area stuns. I'm not sure whether the -ToHit is more synergy or redundant as Miasma has plenty of -ToHit between you and the servant.

Controllers are kings at the mass lockdown. They don't have a monopoly on AV lockdowns or stopping runners. I'd also check stats between corruptor and defender. I'm not sure how much defenders add to Miasma.

With 1 immob (single target), 2 holds (1 aoe, 1 single target), 2 sleeps (1 cone, 1 aoe), 1 kdown patch (w/ damage), 2 disorients (1 pbaoe, 1 single target), 1 kback cone and a whole lot of -Res for your gaming fun may I present the TA/Sonic Deftroller. You can even add more control if you want with the epics.... What's a Controller? 🙂

On 7/20/2019 at 9:28 PM, Moonshades said:

Allow me to partially disagree with the previous poster. Although certainly dark control has the tools to excel in itrials, don't sell a D3 short. Between Tar Patch, Tentacles and Fearsome Stare, dark/dark has all the tools in the kit to be an all star, especially in locking down escaped prisoners in a BAF.

Dark/dark controllers get those and more. I concede in a defender having damage earlier on, but once the controller version gets up and running, it is hard to not say that the controller version outshines it. /dark for controllers is also a better version than the defender version. I still think the defender version is quite good. I can see the argument that the controller version has more control than needed, so the defender version works well since it is easier to be offensive with it. In terms of an AV, the controller would have three pets just based on primary and secondary alone to keep an AV entertained with.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

7 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

/dark for controllers is also a better version than the defender version.

That's arguable. While I think many would take Fade or Soul Absorption over Petrifying Gaze, the same can't be said about Fearsome Stare.

Fearsome Stare is damned good, and a cornerstone for a D3. It's a pretty hard sell.

/Dark on trollers only 'feels better' because Stare would be redundant, so the new toys really shine.

Edited by Primantis
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:55 PM, ed_anger said:

I have yet to see anyone lock down an AV in an iTrial, good luck with that. BAF door control is much easier. 

I remember being in a couple Lambdas years ago where the dark defender was able to keep Marauder from jumping, it saved so much time on the overall TF not having to chase him to the four corners.

From what I remember, you had to have massive amounts of recharge to stack whatever they were using to keep him in place.

11 hours ago, krj12 said:

I remember being in a couple Lambdas years ago where the dark defender was able to keep Marauder from jumping, it saved so much time on the overall TF not having to chase him to the four corners.

From what I remember, you had to have massive amounts of recharge to stack whatever they were using to keep him in place.

Can do the trial in 10-12 minutes...how much time can you really save? About 20 seconds of travel time?

Excelsior - Grey Scale 50+ Emp/Dark Def - Thermal Meltdown 50+ Rad/Fire Brute - Old Growth 50+ Plant Troll - Enrico Fermi 50+ Rad Blaster