Lag, Disconnects, and Stability

Cipher

• City Council

We're currently experiencing technical difficulties from the shear load that is being placed on all of the servers.

There are going to be disconnects, lag, and moments where the servers just get completely overwhelmed and have to catch back up.

We are looking at options to help resolve some of these performance and stability issues but this does take time.

Thank you for your continued support and patience while we work this out.

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Friendly network architect here..

Would load balancing options help you spread load amongst several servers?

I'm not sure of the architecture of this "application", but I'd be happy to discuss proxy and load balancing options if there is an opportunity.

Thanks!

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!! I pay $15... oh, wait.. I don't pay anything... never mind.. carry on! ;)

Seriously, thank you for what you all are doing. I'll take a some "Lost Connections..." and rubberbanding if it means I get to play in my home away from home again!

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!! I pay $15... oh, wait.. I don't pay anything... never mind.. carry on! ;)

Seriously, thank you for what you all are doing. I'll take a some "Lost Connections..." and rubberbanding if it means I get to play in my home away from home again!

XitMkxo.png

I'm out.

Is the database server backend still running on Microsoft SQL Server?  If so, managing SQL Server databases has been my field of expertise for 7 years now, and I'd be delighted to help out with any performance tuning and server settings that could help with making resource usage more efficient!

Is the database server backend still running on Microsoft SQL Server?  If so, managing SQL Server databases has been my field of expertise for 7 years now, and I'd be delighted to help out with any performance tuning and server settings that could help with making resource usage more efficient!

There is a flow chart doing the rounds somewhere but the game uses a MS SQL server and a dbserver daemon/helper process that interfaces with various other processes - auth, account and the map servers which can spawn multiple instances.

Short of significant rewrites I'm not sure much can be done past a certain point to manage performance other than split up the community into multiple discrete servers.

There is a flow chart doing the rounds somewhere but the game uses a MS SQL server and a dbserver daemon/helper process that interfaces with various other processes - auth, account and the map servers which can spawn multiple instances.

Short of significant rewrites I'm not sure much can be done past a certain point to manage performance other than split up the community into multiple discrete servers.

Ah, there are a few things that can be tweaked at the server level to help with the load here and there!  For example, by default, Microsoft SQL Server over-uses the server's CPU for trivial tasks, and some settings can be adjusted to move the CPU load from things that don't need it to processes that really do need it.  Also, the databases by default grow out their data files in really tiny increments (1MB per growth), so if, say, 100MB of data hits the database, it has to do 100 grow operations, which are kinda slow.  Messy!

These are things that can have a pretty good impact without having to touch the code, and there's several other system-level things that can be fixed up in a similar vein.  Figured I'd see if they needed some help getting these sorts of things in line, and my over-enthusiastic self saw a chance to do some techno-babbling!

I'm not an expert, but after getting kicked off the map about ten or twenty times total today (and we won't even get into logging into the game itself..) may be time to get a second server and call that Atlas or something.

I'm not an expert, but after getting kicked off the map about ten or twenty times total today (and we won't even get into logging into the game itself..) may be time to get a second server and call that Atlas or something.

Servers cost money. Money they can't even take donations for like most server owners do. So unless they are running private servers out of their closets I wouldn't think they would be putting more servers up. However, there are others working on servers so in the near future there may be more options.

There are probably still a lot of optimizations they could do with the server they currently have and to be honest I'm surprised it runs as well as it does now. They really have done a fantastic job!

*Holds out hands*

*left Hand* $15 a month to play WoW with crappy community.

*Right hand* Awesome people who bring back CoH and the greatest community there is MMO wise, Hickups happen like disconnects.

Hmmmmm which to chose. HHHHHHAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDD Choise here people!!!!

I'll take whats in the right hand Bob! :p

In all seriousness, Great to be back. I recorded the level up sound on my phone so now it's what I hear for text. How I missed that wonderful sound. :)

Well, I am a Ford Motor Company Senior Master Tech and Master Warranty Admin. 

If any of you have a car question I will be glad to help! Just PM me.

That's all I can offer, The Net and stuff has eclipsed my 90's skills ha ha

Thanks for all your hard work. Also would be happy to donate.

R.

Feels like watching a new (Jeremy, Richard and James) First episode of the season when Jeremy yells out “We’re back”.  This is so exciting and I’m so glad I didn’t miss the beginnings of this and can’t wait to get a character back to level 50 and I can’t wait to run some missions. God I missed this game.

When it comes to other games that I have bought and paid for, i get pissed when I disconnect from the server. if the server goes down for any reason beside maintenance day (that has to be announced)

But COH no no, If you need to restart the server every 30 minutes to do disk space. GO For it. Why you ask?

Because this is the game that got me hooked on MMOs, I poured so many hours into this game when it was still live all those years ago. So what ever you need to do to keep it up and running, go for it.

I like many other TRUE fans of this game will patiently sit at our computers and wait for the word that servers are live again!

YOU ALL ROCK!

When it comes to other games that I have bought and paid for, i get pissed when I disconnect from the server. if the server goes down for any reason beside maintenance day (that has to be announced)

But COH no no, If you need to restart the server every 30 minutes to do disk space. GO For it. Why you ask?

Because this is the game that got me hooked on MMOs, I poured so many hours into this game when it was still live all those years ago. So what ever you need to do to keep it up and running, go for it.

I like many other TRUE fans of this game will patiently sit at our computers and wait for the word that servers are live again!

YOU ALL ROCK!

All is said !!

I want to thank those who worked to bring back this game.  For over 6 years, I have desperately missed my Peacebringer, who made a return this past afternoon.  What a joy to fly around Atlas Park again! 

When and if money can be accepted to defray costs, I will be sending some.

There were, and are, sure to be bumps along the way.  That is fine - I am patient.  Again, many, MANY thanks for your efforts!

I want to thank those who worked to bring back this game.  For over 6 years, I have desperately missed my Peacebringer, who made a return this past afternoon.  What a joy to fly around Atlas Park again! 

When and if money can be accepted to defray costs, I will be sending some.

There were, and are, sure to be bumps along the way.  That is fine - I am patient.  Again, many, MANY thanks for your efforts!

Yep

This has got me more excited for a video game than I have been in years. You folks rule. Keep fighting the good fight.

If I could only play CoH again for 20 minutes at a time it would still be a dream come true.

Also, like many others, I am an IT professional and I would be honored to help in any way I can. Even if it's just mopping the floors of Paragon City Hall.

This has got me more excited for a video game than I have been in years.

Absolutely. Love this game, love the fact people are working so hard to bring it back to us, no matter the background issues.

I am an IT professional and I would be honored to help in any way I can. Even if it's just mopping the floors of Paragon City Hall.

Spanky the Loveclown is having a 'welcome back' party at his place in Founders' Falls this weekend, can you please turn up on Monday morning, no earlier than 10am.

You'll need to have all your vaccinations in order...bring a mop, and a hose.

Can we not give donations through a different system? I mean sure they cant ask for donations for the server but I'll chip in for the buy the admins girfriend some roses fund.

And I shall not be Dark but Beautiful and Terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the Foundations of the Earth. All shall Love me and Despair!

First up - obligatory thanks and offer of money...

Now, I was thinking....

There are so many of us willing to volunteer time and expertise - more than are probably needed.

If we each grab our own copy (all avail on BT) and start playing/learning while servers are down - that might be best.

In short, we may not be able to help directly with Torchbearer/Excelsior, but there is no reason we can't each become a SME on running City of Heroes.

I know I've grabbed code/binaries/vm and when I get back home (on vacation right now), I'm going to start tearing into this and learning....

Worst case, "MyGroovyServer" will have one hero running around until we throw a lan party...

First up - obligatory thanks and offer of money...

Now, I was thinking....

There are so many of us willing to volunteer time and expertise - more than are probably needed.

If we each grab our own copy (all avail on BT) and start playing/learning while servers are down - that might be best.

In short, we may not be able to help directly with Torchbearer/Excelsior, but there is no reason we can't each become a SME on running City of Heroes.

I know I've grabbed code/binaries/vm and when I get back home (on vacation right now), I'm going to start tearing into this and learning....

Worst case, "MyGroovyServer" will have one hero running around until we throw a lan party...

Only issue I see here is if player base got split...they might be having issues but I would hate for this amazing community to be split as I dunno how population will sustain. Tho it is good to have backups incase the big bad wolf comes knocking.