Valkyrie, Battle Maiden, and Warrior Earth

Zumberge

This might be reading too far into things like "reused assets" and "programmers are not writers," but when some bits of lore collided with each other in my head I realized it had implications that I don't recall anyone bringing up, or at least not recently.

Okay, so.  Valkyrie got her powers from an old spear which infused her with nanomachines, and her Praetorian counterpart Battle Maiden got her powers in a similar way.  Both of these weapons came from Warrior Earth, and you get several opportunities in high-level content to visit it... and when you get there it's a wreck.  Ruined buildings, rubble everywhere, the locals are armed with swords and crossbows and dressed in metal armor and historically inaccurate Viking helmets.  By all accounts the world is in a primitive state, and they even sound like it when they call Statesman your "clan elder."  So someone clearly made a mistake.

...and that "someone" is the inhabitants of Warrior Earth itself.

At some point there was an advanced society with incredible levels of technology that reached that given point far before Primal or Praetorian Earth.  But something happened - a disaster, a war, something - that devastated the planet so thoroughly that centuries later it's reverted to (or only managed to climb back to) a feudal society.  The former civilization's scientific knowledge is just straight-up gone, and what remains is viewed in an almost mythic light.  When you go there, you are visiting a post-apocalyptic world.

(Oh man if someone points to a contact that's been around since like Issue 4 that lays all of this out for you I'm gonna feel like such an idiot.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As a Scrapper main I eat a steady diet of crayons and glue to keep my wits sharp and my reflexes honed.

Similar to "The Books of Swords" - "Old World" technology, even as simple a thing as a flashlight, is viewed as being essentially magic.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Primal Earth is where Heraclea lives and works.  Warrior Earth is where she goes drinking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291