[TIP] How to change body type (and gender) after character creation

Crowcus Pocus

Thought I should post it here, since this is quite a frequently asked question both in game and in the forums.

You can actually adjust your character's body type (including gender) and body settings (height, waist, shoulder width, etc) by visiting a Cosmetic Surgeon at Icon Stores (aka Tailors).

Visiting trainers will allow you to change costume settings only.

Edited by Falsey
  • Thanks 2

Warning: This post may contain an opinion.

• 2 weeks later
  • 4 weeks later
On 8/27/2019 at 7:26 AM, mousestalker said:

On the redside I believe you see a Facemaker(?). Both are available as npc's to be placed in your supergroup base.

Adding them to base, you insert a Facemaker either side, the Icon version is one of the styles.

But at least for me, they function only as a regular tailor in-base.  Had to go to Pocket D to change my body type.

Thanks, Itsyagirl!

Edited by DoctorDitko

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

• 2 weeks later
On 10/4/2019 at 2:29 PM, DoctorDitko said:

Adding them to base, you insert a Facemaker either side, the Icon version is one of the styles.

But at least for me, they function only as a regular tailor in-base.  Had to go to Pocket D to change my body type.

Thanks, Itsyagirl!

As far as I last knew the tailor/facemaker you can place in the base are standard tailors only. You need a plastic surgeon/body sculptor - and they're labeled that way - to do body changes. The plastic surgeon is in the back and on the right in both Icons and Facemaker shops.

Something that can be very helpful if you have to change your body and the sliders is to save your current costume while in the plastic surgeon. It's a normal costume file but it'll have the new slider info in it so if you load it while at the surgeon's it will update the body sliders not just the costume bits. If you don't have a bunch of custom costumes and you're low level you could just load that file onto all your starter slots just to update them all right then. This is handy in case you did something like came out of chargen and realized you forgot to make your character extra tall like you planned but haven't gotten into much design work yet.

Now if you're changing your sliders after you have made costumes you can just edit the costume files to match the new sliders. In fact if you're playing a villain epic AT your first slot will be special using the NPC system and slots 2 and on will be set to a generic default and once you update slot 2 ... you have to manually copy your look to all of them. That means that if you adjusted your height and build on slot one as a widow/huntsman, you'll have an appearance mismatch to all your other slots unless you load those parameters onto slot 2, then update it with your intended default appearance look and then copy and upload it to all the other slots. (Yes it's a pain it's the price of being a VEAT and at least it's free if you do it right after you chargen). Now if you try to load the NPC look of slot one where you are in a widow or huntsman outfit onto another slot you'll get an error message, but it will copy the sliders over. So what you want to do is copy slot 1 to slot 2, update the look, and then copy slot 2 to all the rest immediately to forcibly reset them.

Also, if you've already got costumes in various slots what you can do is save each to its own costume file and then directly edit it.  Save each specific costume look to its own file naming them something easy like MyCharFredSlot2.costume and so on. Then open up whichever .costume file has the new, updated body slider info in notepad (you can just tack .txt onto the end of the file name temporarily to make that easy); at the very top will be the body slider info, it'll look like this:

{
Scale 3.518
BoneScale 0.1362
ShoulderScale 0.06809
ChestScale 0.08511

ETC ETC ETC

SkinColor  255,  178,  155                     <--- LAST LINE TO COPY I think
NumParts 28
CostumePart ""                                        <--- this line is actually the beginning of the chest costume details
{                                                             
    Geometry Tight

Texture1 !X_Hips_ArmoredSuit_01
    Texture2 !N_Hips_ArmoredBodysuit_01_DC

As you can see from the sample above the relevant numbers end with a skin color line and then it goes into the actual costume parts. The Geometry tight bit you see at the end of my example is actually the beginning of my character's chest costume. So, what you do is just copy scale through skin color and paste it over the equivalent lines of each of the other files and then load them onto their original slots at a plastic surgeon. Naturally since you're editing files it's best to save the changed file as a new name like MyCharFredSlot2REV.costume, just in case you don't select quite right when you copy paste. This is a nice way to make sure you're getting exactly the same sliders on all your costumes.

• Like 1

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!