Update from the Homecoming Team (April 25th)

Jimmy

I got dollars if ya want a few....

seriously.

I was willing to carry NLT 3 full accounts at Sunset.

Ask me for 15 dollars a WEEK and we are in.

Hell.

Ask me to fund...outright....a server rack/hardware purchase or percentage thereof....I'M IN.

Yes, I might be interested in carrying a cloud or rack server. Let me know something about topology and costs and we could start talking about that. I run a boutique software development firm

(Hatch Innovations, LLC, http://hatchinnovations.com) and I've done some big brand, high scale systems, so I've had some experience in designing server pools, load balancing schemes etc.

3,300 individual players and only need 2700 of them to donate 1 dollar a month.  Would Patreon be legal?

Why stop at $1 a month for server maintenance/upkeep.

Why not bump it and start on a second or third server

If $1 can afford one server, I think that $5 is not much to ask for monthly, so we can have 5 servers.

BUT do research all the legalities first, I am so happy that this is up and running after 7 years, I don't want it to go away anytime soon.

We do paypal donations for swglegends which is also stolen leaked dev code from SoE the owner and developer. So anyone telling you that you cant do this is clueless.  Paypal donation window is publicly displayed with the current donations total for that month and the goal for that month. At the end of the month a financial report is posted detailing all services and fees the donations paid for and any remaining unused portion is saved for the next month. This is how we’ve done it for 3 years now and this is how the other swg servers and even wow servers usually do it.

n4idjdl.jpg

My wife and I just had a conversation about funding, and one point that came out was that if NCSoft had said "Hey - we're going to pull the plug unless people are willing to agree to a higher subscription fee -

are you willing to pay more and if so how much?" I would have gladly doubled my subscription fee or even more.

So, we are certainly willing to do that here. We all didn't get that question from NCSoft the first time around, and I do not want to take any chances with this opportunity.

Even if someone said there is risk, or that you might pay for 12 months and then something happens - I would still do it. I place no conditions on my willingness to pay to support hosting costs.

By way of information from a user, I always said that this game 'to me' is worth $50 per year or more precisely $5 per month. As you cannot take any money for the game I am happy to be donating $5 per month toward the electricity you are using.

It would be wise to bear in mind that after a game launch the community will half within 1 month and in 2 months a third of the community will be using the game. I wouldn't be rushing to buy more servers until I had a years worth of data. (FYI)

Thanks again to all of you guys.

You lot are amazing! I'm nearly in tears even typing this. This game got me through one of the absolute worst periods of my life.

I'm not lying when I say that I might not have made it through if a friend hadn't convinced me to play as a means of distraction, outlet, etc.

Now, all these years later, at 44 years old with 3 grown kids, I feel like a kid again! Thank you all so much. It really means the world! <3

It was touching to read your post as the game and community did the same for me years ago and will always have a special place in my heart.

Same age as you too but I only have 2 kids :p

It means so much to me to be able to play again so huge THANK YOU to you wonderful peeps for making it so!

An idea I had to help generate revenue for the server would be art commissions.  Maybe the dev team could have artists volunteer their services and the profits from the art commissions goes to help maintain the servers.

The art pieces can have a sliding scale depending on the artist's talent, style, etc.

Example:

- Full body shots cost $20

- Three quarter shots cost $15

- Head shots cost $10

- Extra $5 per character in the picture.

If the Homecoming team had some real-estate to buy/rent and and they wanted to decorate it with things that might include some art made out of mechanical components that had flashing lights, whirring fans, etc... I'd be glad to chip in some!

Heeeey, you just let us know if either Cipher or Rigo have any major life events unrelated to this City of Heroes thing that might call for a Gofundme, Patreon or even an Amazon wishlist okay? 

They seem like nice people and I'd hate to see them suffer in the slightest.

The $2700 for a great, more stable experience would be wonderful.

Is there a way to put up a monthly donation that closes once that Mark is hit?

If only a portion of us donate $5/ month should keep it going fine.

I wouldn't mind. That way it also doesn't go into gratuitous 💰making which would cause issue.

Server hardware, running and maintenance only.

I just want to echo everyone's sentiments. Thank you so much for doing all this work! After all this time and trying so many games nothing has filled the void that COH made. To get to play again....speechless. THANK YOU!

The day you work out how to receive financial support for keeping it going, I will be ready to give.

Can't say how grateful I am to play again but especially to reconnect with friends.  No other game has hooked me -mostly because it was the people of CoH that made this a fun place to be.  So glad to see the spirit of CoH is still strong- people are helping each other and trying to have a good time. 

I'd like to thank you all for the big work and heart you guys have!

I hope you can find a way for us support the project. I know many people can help, myself included, i we want to do what we can to have this wonderful game and experience again.

Thanks again and count on us!

Ed

All of you doing a great job.

Setting up a formal way for the community to have some control and responsibly for pay for the future of the game would be a good idea.

I know that my wife and I would be happy to contribute to the successes of this project. At one time, we had four accounts between us and paid over $60 a month.

I read the other day that the admin was talking about setting up an LLC. I would suggest an offshore corp out of Belize, specifically because they have corporate secrecy.

It's rigidly enforced by their government, if your lawyer there breaks it, he or she goes to prison.

Many of us would buy stock in such a corporation and would willingly share the burden and risk with you. From what I have seen so far we are a very large group of like

minded people. To say we have a large economic potential, is a dramatic under statement. Ten thousand of us at the average of $43,000 a year per person, puts our gross

annual income between all of us at $430,000,000. The national average is not $43,000 it's closer to $65,000. Between us we can easily afford a server bill of $5000 a month.

If push comes to shove, we can pay for legal bills to make NC soft go away. If in less than a week we have 10,000 what will we have in two?

Do not under estimate the value of the since of controlling you own destiny. When the game closed, I was VERY very rich. I had spent many hundred of hours playing the game.

I had purchased every tweak to our accounts that I could. To know that something will not get hosed because some none player has a bright idea to change this or that, is important.

Think of all the interesting things we can add over time, New archetypes, new power sets, new zones. A real opportunity to contribute to the COH world is something

few of us ever thought would happen. 

The possibilities are endless