The Next Mastermind?

Justisaur

Mastermind  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mastermind

So with my Bots/Storm just kind of flailing around and dying to things I could do easily with Bots/Cold, I didn't really feel like another /storm.  My Bots/Cold is slow, low damage, and the KB issues means it's either lower damage slotting all of them with kb-kd, or lower damage as things get tossed out of patches, but I liked /cold.

So Thugs/Cold perhaps - they lack their own heal, and in my testing with ninja/cold that made keeping them alive harder, and necessitated aid other.  Of course Thugs are a lot tougher than ninjas, so perhaps it'd be good. 

Then I thought demons, perhaps they could be soft capped to def with /cold?  If so their resists would just be bonus toughness, and they do have a self heal, and I like them for the whip attacks too, but if they can't be soft capped to def through /cold that might be an issue?

But if they can't then perhaps /thermal, I know it works well, but healing a lot doesn't really appeal. 

There's /sonic which is sort of the resist version of /cold, but I don't ever see anyone taking /sonic, so am wondering if it's just bad, not really equivilent to /cold, or as good as /thermal or if it might be a hidden gem with Demons?

There's also Nature with Demons, which seems a good teaming MM set, but it's kind of a hard combo to conceptualize, and all the healing too.

Then there's Necro/Kin which was fun to play with on test with only SOs, while kind of average at best, perhaps they could be made good?

I'd prefer something that can do the most content overall, especially iTrials.  

I vote for demon/nature.  You can color the nature powers to look like deadly or nectrotic vines, and it is actually very heavy with the debuffs.  The 1st power is a good damage resistance debuff and looks cool.  The heal takes a little getting used to, but it also affects you, which is great.  One of the buffs is a power centered around an ally, so I'd use a bind like "targetcustomnext demon prince" or something, in conjunction with the power.  Whatever you decide to go with, good luck!

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 10:14 PM, Hedgefund said:

I voted Thugs/Cold because somehow, astonishingly enough, Cold is the 3rd least played secondary based on that dev data posting.  So more people need to play it.

Yeah /Cold is amazing. Particularly as an MM secondary. Those +defense buffs go a long way to keep pets alive. Benumb is an amazing debuff for use against AVs. Sleet has a powerful -resistance debuff that can be enhanced with both Annihilation and Achilles' Heel for a -res ranging from -30% to -70% which is a massive boost for both pets and the whole team. Heat Loss piles even MORE -res and resolves any and all endurance issues you, your pets, or your team mates have. No idea why more MMs don't take this.

Edited by Tubalcain

15 hours ago, Tubalcain said:

Yeah /Cold is amazing. Particularly as an MM secondary. Those +defense buffs go a long way to keep pets alive. Benumb is an amazing debuff for use against AVs. Sleet has a powerful -resistance debuff that can be enhanced with both Annihilation and Achilles' Heel for a -res ranging from -30% to -70% which is a massive boost for both pets and the whole team. Heat Loss piles even MORE -res and resolves any and all endurance issues you, your pets, or your team mates have. No idea why more MMs don't take this.

Basically because if you're going for pure maximum defense, Force Field is better. And if you want strong Defense and also utility, Time can crank out just as much Defense as Cold can--arguably more because Farsight doesn't have any holes, and can be Power Boosted--and it can heal, and has -ToHit, and ludicrously strong -recharge, some -regen, and a little -resist.

The only compelling argument for Cold is that it does more -resist than any other secondary... But people considering it for that reason tend to end up going Storm instead because that gives you nearly as much -resist and a giant sized helping of damaging abilities and knockdowns on the side.

It's not that Cold is bad, it's just that it gets a bit outshone on everything, and people largely only pick sets with "THE MOST" of something. Which Cold does have, but -resist generally appeals to someone looking to do ALL THE DAMAGE, which Storm does better. And Storm also gets a heal. It's a shitty one, but it's more than Cold gets.

Edited by kelly Rocket

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.3
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Technology Mastermind
Primary Power Set: Thugs
Secondary Power Set: Cold Domination
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Presence
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Call Thugs -- SlbAll-Dmg/Rchg:50(A), SlbAll-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(23), SlbAll-Acc/Rchg:50(25), SlbAll-Dmg/EndRdx:50(25), SlbAll-Build%:50(27), FrcFdb-Rechg%:50(27)
Level 1: Infrigidate -- ShlBrk-%Dam:30(A), ShlBrk-Acc/DefDeb:30(9), ShlBrk-Acc/Rchg:30(13), ShlBrk-DefDeb/EndRdx/Rchg:30(15), ShlBrk-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg:30(37), ShlBrk-DefDeb:30(37)
Level 2: Ice Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A), LucoftheG-Def:50(3), Ags-Psi/Status:50(5), Ags-ResDam:50(5), Ags-ResDam/Rchg:50(7)
Level 4: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A), LucoftheG-Def:50(9)
Level 6: Provoke -- PrfZng-Acc/Rchg:50(A), PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg/Rng:50(7), PrfZng-Taunt/Rng:50(11), PrfZng-Dam%:50(45)
Level 8: Equip Thugs -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 10: Glacial Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A), Ksm-ToHit+:30(11), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+:30(15), DefBuff-I:30(17), ResDam-I:50(39)
Level 12: Call Enforcer -- SprMarofS-EndRdx/+Resist/+Regen:50(A), SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(13), SprMarofS-Dmg/EndRdx:50(17), SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg:50(29), SprMarofS-Acc/EndRdx:50(29), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(31)
Level 14: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Frostwork -- Prv-Heal/EndRdx:50(A), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg:50(19), Prv-Heal/Rchg:50(19), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx:50(21), Prv-Absorb%:50(21), Prv-Heal:50(23)
Level 18: Gang War -- SprCmmoft-Rchg/PetAoEDef:50(A), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(31), SprCmmoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(33), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(33), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg:50(33), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets):50(34)
Level 20: Arctic Fog -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A), GldArm-ResDam:50(36), LucoftheG-Def:50(43), GldArm-End/Res:50(43), GldArm-3defTpProc:50(45)
Level 22: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam:50(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(39), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx:50(42), UnbGrd-Max HP%:50(43)
Level 24: Weave -- Rct-ResDam%:50(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(40), Rct-Def/Rchg:50(40), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg:50(40), Rct-Def/EndRdx:50(42), Rct-Def:50(42)
Level 26: Call Bruiser -- SlbAll-Dmg:50(A), SvrRgh-PetResDam:50(31), EdcoftheM-PetDef:40(34), SvrRgh-Acc:50(36), CaltoArm-+Def(Pets):30(36), OvrFrc-Dam/KB:50(37)
Level 28: Benumb -- Acc-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(34)
Level 30: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A), LucoftheG-Def:50(45)
Level 32: Upgrade Equipment -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 35: Assault -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 38: Tactics -- GssSynFr--Build%:50(A)
Level 41: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx:50(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB:50(50)
Level 44: Sleet -- SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc:50(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg:50(46), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(46), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx:50(46), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(48), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg:50(50)
Level 47: Dark Embrace -- ImpArm-ResPsi:40(A), ImpArm-ResDam:40(48), ImpArm-ResDam/EndRdx:40(48)
Level 49: Acrobatics -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Supremacy
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I:50(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End:50(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:50(3), Mrc-Rcvry+:40(39)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I:50(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I:50(A), EndMod-I:50(50)
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement
Level 50: Reactive Core Flawless Interface
Level 50: Clockwork Radial Superior Ally
Level 50: Support Core Embodiment
Level 50: Rebirth Core Epiphany
------------

Thanks for the build!  I just made my Thugs/Cold last night, was having a hard time coming up with a concept which is why I hadn't made it yet.  I named him "Ice eM" a bit of a play on words, sort of like the rapper Ice T and Em and Em combined and meaning 'go kill them.'   I'm having a hard time with costumes still - I like to fill out my 5 slots before I get past lv 10, I've got my rapper costume based off the biker 2, and a punk look alike.  Looking forward to see how this compares to my Bots/Cold, I'll be missing the repair ability and healing of the bots I'm sure, so I'll probably want to work in Aid other at least.  I don't think I'd take provoke etc, part of why I liked cold on the bots/cold is I didn't have to tankermind at all, they were just low damage and big and the kb was counter-productive to the location powers.