Need help planning Rad/Atomic.

DocRadio

I'm envisioning a AoE based blaster that can hold it's own at melee range without constant faceplanting. I'm okay with relying on crowd control to fill in the survivability gap. I plan on taking electric mastery so I can use EMP pulse along with the mass hold in the atomic secondary.

Any help is appreciated, no ideas are bad.

Thanks. 

EMPulse is on a massive recharge of 800 seconds on a blaster and debuffs your recovery in exchange for a mag 3 stun (granted one with a huge area) which makes it very situational and IMHO a waste of a pick. You also need 2 other picks in the set to get there which severely limits your options.  Going down that road also makes it very difficult to cap out your melee defense which will also hinder your ability to hang out in melee range.  Scorpion shield however is 1 pick and gives a significant boost to S/L and Energy defense which increases your ability to survive in melee range far more than EMPulse ever will.  With Scorpion shield you can end up with numbers that rival Energy Aura brutes and scrappers (not counting Mez protection, DDR and  HP pools).  Before the snipe changes, my AoE build looked something like this.  It is a little short on recharge but that can be dealt with by being in melee range as often as possible since 3 mobs in range will give you perma hasten or by taking Agility instead for better recovery, defense to help with debuffs and enough recharge to get perma hasten with only 1 in melee range. 

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.3
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Mutation Blaster
Primary Power Set: Radiation Blast
Secondary Power Set: Atomic Manipulation
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: X-Ray Beam -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(7)
Level 1: Electron Shackles -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Irradiate -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(7), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(9), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), Obl-%Dam(11)
Level 4: Negatron Slam -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(17), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(19)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(19), Rct-Def(21), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 8: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 10: Ionize -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(21)
Level 16: Beta Decay -- HO:Enzym(A)
Level 18: Cosmic Burst -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(23), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(25), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(27)
Level 20: Metabolic Acceleration -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(27), PrfShf-EndMod(29)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(29), UnbGrd-Max HP%(31), UnbGrd-ResDam(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 26: Neutron Bomb -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(34), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(34)
Level 28: Atom Smasher -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(37)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Rct-Def(39), Rct-Def/EndRdx(39)
Level 32: Atomic Blast -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(42)
Level 35: Radioactive Cloud -- SprEnt-Acc/Hold(A), SprEnt-Hold/Rchg(42), SprEnt-End/Rchg(42), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End(43), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End/Rchg(43), SprEnt-Rchg/AbsorbProc(43)
Level 38: Positronic Fist -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(45), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(45), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Mk'Bit-Dam%(46)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Rct-Def(48), Rct-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Rct-Def(50), Rct-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 47: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Tactics -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(13), Mrc-Rcvry+(13)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 50: Clarion Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
------------

Edited by HelenCarnate

You don't really need a second AoE hold. The one in /atomic is all you require, and then the ST hold in /atomic will stack and (fr a short period) hold bosses as well. The problem with Radioactive cloud is that the effect only lasts one second so it cannot stack on itself reliably. Incarnates and slotting help extend this.

Helen's build is a good one and in fact the one I based my own on taking from her ideas. I just wanted more so I went all proc based and still softcapped. I've been meaning to post it actually and I'll do so at lunch hour.

It doesn't show the numbers in Mids but Radioactive cloud is a 9.5 second hold which slotted the way I have it translates to just under a 19 second hold (at even level).  Basically anything that is actually held by a mag 3 hold is dead from other AoE before it wears off so stacking is not that important.  

1 hour ago, HelenCarnate said:

It doesn't show the numbers in Mids but Radioactive cloud is a 9.5 second hold which slotted the way I have it translates to just under a 19 second hold (at even level).  Basically anything that is actually held by a mag 3 hold is dead from other AoE before it wears off so stacking is not that important.  

With my incarnate choice and the slotting Radioactive Cloud is supposed to have a 21 second duration according to the Info. In practical terms fighting +4 (+3 with the incarnate shift) this seems to last just a smidgen more than the cloud does. Perhaps 12-13 seconds. Bosses are not affected since the Hold does not seem to pulse despite what I think I read. Or it is a one second pulse that is not affected by slotting. But using Positron Cell and Radioactive Cloud will do its job, albeit very briefly.

Not sure what pulse you are talking about.  It works like just about every other non-toggle hold out there.  You cast it, it applies the hold one time, stuff gets held, the end.  I tested it on an even level group and everything but bosses were held for the duration.  I threw out Positron Cell on the boss and they were held as well.  Of course higher levels will be held for less time but that is true of any holds out there as well.  Nothing works different with the power other than it casts a Pseudopet to apply the hold for some reason.

12 hours ago, HelenCarnate said:

EMPulse is on a massive recharge of 800 seconds on a blaster and debuffs your recovery in exchange for a mag 3 stun (granted one with a huge area) which makes it very situational and IMHO a waste of a pick. You also need 2 other picks in the set to get there which severely limits your options.  Going down that road also makes it very difficult to cap out your melee defense which will also hinder your ability to hang out in melee range.  Scorpion shield however is 1 pick and gives a significant boost to S/L and Energy defense which increases your ability to survive in melee range far more than EMPulse ever will.  With Scorpion shield you can end up with numbers that rival Energy Aura brutes and scrappers (not counting Mez protection, DDR and  HP pools).  Before the snipe changes, my AoE build looked something like this.  It is a little short on recharge but that can be dealt with by being in melee range as often as possible since 3 mobs in range will give you perma hasten or by taking Agility instead for better recovery, defense to help with debuffs and enough recharge to get perma hasten with only 1 in melee range. 

Hero Profile:
Level 1: X-Ray Beam -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(7)
Level 2: Irradiate -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(7), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(9), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), Obl-%Dam(11)
Level 4: Negatron Slam -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(17), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(19)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(19), Rct-Def(21), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 18: Cosmic Burst -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(23), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(25), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(27)
Level 20: Metabolic Acceleration -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(27), PrfShf-EndMod(29)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(29), UnbGrd-Max HP%(31), UnbGrd-ResDam(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 26: Neutron Bomb -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(34), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(34)
Level 28: Atom Smasher -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(37)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Rct-Def(39), Rct-Def/EndRdx(39)
Level 32: Atomic Blast -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(42)
Level 35: Radioactive Cloud -- SprEnt-Acc/Hold(A), SprEnt-Hold/Rchg(42), SprEnt-End/Rchg(42), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End(43), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End/Rchg(43), SprEnt-Rchg/AbsorbProc(43)
Level 38: Positronic Fist -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(45), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(45), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Mk'Bit-Dam%(46)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Rct-Def(48), Rct-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Rct-Def(50), Rct-Def/EndRdx(50)
------------

Nice build. I'll use it as a basis. But this build has zero holds. I get your point with EMPulse and I could do without, but given the recharge options out there I didn't really care about the long recharge. But I can't see passing on the two holds in the secondary. At least not in the early game. Thanks for the input. 

Edited by DocRadio

• 1 month later
On 9/4/2019 at 12:14 AM, HelenCarnate said:

Hero Profile:
------------

Thank you for posting the build. I was curious, what your attack chain looked like? Having options are good, but between the blasts, pbaoe, and melee attacks, I'd love to know what you find yourself using when teamed.

I don't really have a set attack chain.  With all options open I tend to use whatever the highest damage attack I have charged at the moment.  I arrange them in order of damage/animation second from left to right so I pick whatever attack is farthest on the left that matches my range.  When stuff is grouped together I of course use my nuke and other AoEs first then either punch or shoot whatever is left.  Positronic Fist I tend to save for bosses and up as everything else tends to get burned down on teams fast and even then can still end up punching a corpse really hard.  On ITFs and other things that have tons of -defense I tend to throw out Radioactive Cloud in groups to lessen the odds of cascading defense failure. 

I haven't played that one in a while and I am still trying to figure out what to drop to pick up the snipe.  The only way I managed to do it while keeping at or above the soft cap was to go agility and rearrange things like this.  Granted it is not full 22% but still decent enough.  This gives a bit more ranged damage to take down fleeing mobs and adds a bit to the single target rotation.  

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.5

Hero Profile:
Level 2: Irradiate -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(11)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(19), Ksm-ToHit+(21), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 28: Proton Volley -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(37)
Level 32: Atomic Blast -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(39), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Obl-%Dam(42)
Level 49: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon 
------------

• Like 1