Nature Affinity/Regrowth: Should it turn and aim?

Vorlonagent

NA//Regrowth doesn't turn the caster to face the power's target before casting.  Should it?  If the target doesn't happen to be in arc, they don't get healed.

Most similar targeted heal powers such as Empathy's Heal Other do turn the caster to face.   Regrowth a cone effect so maybe it's not supposed to turn to face?

• Retired Game Master

Due to the self healing part of the power Regrowth is flagged to not require a target, and thus, doesn't care if you have a target or not. Cones that do not require targets just fire straight ahead of your character. It's possible they could change this, but currently it's working as intended.

• Like 1

Simplest solution workaround to this problem is use of the Follow command.

Pick your $Target.

/follow

Follow $Target for only as long as you need to in order to orient towards the $Target

/follow

Stops following the $Target.

Cast Regrowth.

Not an ideal solution by any means, but it would be a way to work around the fact that since Regrowth "ignores" $Targets for the purposes of orienting your PC towards the $Target, this would be the closest thing you could get to achieving that functionality by alternative means.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

On 9/6/2019 at 5:52 PM, Vorlonagent said:

NA//Regrowth doesn't turn the caster to face the power's target before casting.  Should it?  If the target doesn't happen to be in arc, they don't get healed.

Most similar targeted heal powers such as Empathy's Heal Other do turn the caster to face.   Regrowth a cone effect so maybe it's not supposed to turn to face?

Well, it's not a targeted power, it's a cone power in front of the caster so it won't move you to face your target because it doesn't affect your target like a targeted power would. My question, which is somewhat unrelated... why does using Regrowth root the caster? Other AoE heals don't.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

6 hours ago, macskull said:

why does using Regrowth root the caster? Other AoE heals don't.

Because those other AoE heals often have a $Target, whether that be the Caster or someone else.

It's basically the same reason why use of Dragon's Tail out of the Martial Arts set will temporarily root you in place.  It's a (PB)AoE with no $Target, so you'll be rooted in place while the animation of your PC doing a spinning leg sweep at ankle height plays out.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

On 9/7/2019 at 7:52 AM, Redlynne said:

Simplest solution workaround to this problem is use of the Follow command.

Pick your $Target.

/follow

Follow $Target for only as long as you need to in order to orient towards the $Target

/follow

Stops following the $Target.

Cast Regrowth.

Not an ideal solution by any means, but it would be a way to work around the fact that since Regrowth "ignores" $Targets for the purposes of orienting your PC towards the $Target, this would be the closest thing you could get to achieving that functionality by alternative means.

I actually have it and other targeted heals on a common set of numpad keybinds.

NUMPAD1 "team_select 1$$face$$forward$$powexec_name Regrowth$$powexec_name Heal Other$$powexec_name O2 Boost$$powexec_name Cauterize"

Just using "face" isn't enough because Regrowth will fire while the caster is turning to face even though the power animations wait until it is done.  adding "$$forward" delays the power kickoff until after the face is complete.  I debated using "follow" because sometimes a healer does have to run after the toon it is trying to save.   🙂

But "follow$$face" a workaround. so I can use Regrowth like a Heal Other.  I wasn't sure how it was supposed to act and if it was working as designed or not.

On 9/7/2019 at 2:48 AM, GM Sijin said:

Due to the self healing part of the power Regrowth is flagged to not require a target, and thus, doesn't care if you have a target or not. Cones that do not require targets just fire straight ahead of your character. It's possible they could change this, but currently it's working as intended.

And that's what I wanted to know.  Thanks for your time, GM Sijin.

Edited by Vorlonagent