Double the trouble triple the fun...

Lost Ninja

I two or three boxed back on the live (pre-I15 or so). In those days besides being glad of the price of the cup of tea I had many poor computers so I ran a client on each (when I could afford to sub those accounts. Now I have one much (much) better PC which can easily handle 3 clients (or more) and I want to try some multi-boxing again. And yes I really do enjoy it as much if not more than playing a single character at once.

The rules state that I may do this as long as I do so outside of peak times (under 1500 players) and restrict myself to no more than 3 accounts.

I'd like to play three (I have three monitors so that the easiest). However I'm struggling with the actual software side of things. I can get three clients running, on three different monitors I can control each one individually however the software I used to use no longer works written to send keystrokes to another PC not within one.

So questions:

Is this even possible on a single box? Would using VMs work (if so which one)?

Aside from ISBoxer/Inner Space is there a software solution that works with Homecoming? And if so how do I set it up (on one PC).

If IsBoxer/Inner Space is the only working solution, again how do you set it up (I spent several hours failing to get it to work)?

And yes I know it's borderline cheating, I stop other people from playing and or ruin your enjoyment of the game. I and my ilk should be banned. And I'm only doing it to destroy the markets. ((Some of this isn't true from my perspective.)) Please don't bother replying if that is all you want to tell me.

When I multibox, I just run them all on a single computer on a single monitor, and alt-tab between instances of the client.   Certainly not the most efficient nor does it grant a great depth of usability, but just thought I'd share my set-up.   No other third party programs or automation.  Might be worth investigating for yourself?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MetaVileTerror said:

When I multibox, I just run them all on a single computer on a single monitor, and alt-tab between instances of the client.   Certainly not the most efficient nor does it grant a great depth of usability, but just thought I'd share my set-up.   No other third party programs or automation.  Might be worth investigating for yourself?

This is me as well. You can get surprisingly far with one auto power + autofollow on your main character. Queue a 2+ seconds animation power on your main, swap windows to your alt(s) to throw a quick buff or debuff, move back to the main window. In a pinch I've managed to run near seamless attack chains on 2 characters at once tabbing furiously between the two. Muscle memory helps a lot, especially if you have common hotkey patterns between all your alts.

It's what I'm doing now, but it doesn't scratch the itch, I remember being able to play all accounts actively... I played a Fire/Kin duo to fifty (and beyond) with three (only briefly as I could seldom afford 3x subs) you could get frankly stupid recharge from Speed Boost/Siphon Speed/Hasten. I had a trio of Mind/Rad controllers who could perma mesmerise EBs (excluding pink triangles ofc) and again 3x AM is godly... 😄

Might have to dig out my old laptop and see if I can get three PCs running again...

Got it working with InnerSpace (Not Free) and ISBoxer, plus some messing around with batch files. I'm so happy right now, finally achieving some of the things I wanted to try on Live but couldn't due to lack of PC power or being unable to run 3 accounts for as much time as I'd need. Not being much of a power gamer I level much slower on these three than doing each one individually... 😕

If anyone wants to know the specifics of my setup I am willing to share (or chat in game @Lost Ninja is the main).