Strange Experimental Speedster Scrapper

Heraclea

Starting to mess around with experimental characters.  This is one such; rolled and got the character to 30.  If I make this according to the plan it will be so expensive I'll probably be forced to swallow my pride and start AE farming.

AAR, someone asked on the Tanker forum for a 'speedster' build.  I thought the concept would work better as a Scrapper.  I chose Kinetic Melee because it seemed close to the theme, and Radiation Armor: several armor sets have recharge oriented components, and Rad's was the most interesting.  Movement speed bonuses are low hanging fruit in many sets, which invites some Frankenslotting.  I also frankenslotted some of the Winter Event enhancements for slow and recharge debuff resistance.   But I refuse to allocate slots for the sole purpose of chasing bonuses, in a way that detracts from t he basic function of the powers.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Cito: Level 50 Science Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Kinetic Melee
Secondary Power Set: Radiation Armor
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Body Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Body Blow -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx:50(5), KntCmb-Acc/Dmg:35(11), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx:35(36), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:35(37), KntCmb-Knock%:35(39)
Level 1: Alpha Barrier -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx:50(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(34), Ags-ResDam:50(40), Ags-Psi/Status:50(45)
Level 2: Gamma Boost -- PrfShf-End%:50(A), PrfShf-EndMod:50(7), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg:50(11), RgnTss-Heal/Rchg:30(45), RgnTss-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg:30(45), RgnTss-Regen+:30(48)
Level 4: Smashing Blow -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(A), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(5), KntCmb-Acc/Dmg:35(13), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg:35(15), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:35(37), KntCmb-Knock%:35(43)
Level 6: Power Siphon -- GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg:50(A), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx:50(7), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx:50(42)
Level 8: Repulsing Torrent -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx:50(9), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(9), Rgn-Acc/Rchg:50(13), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg:50(31), Rgn-Knock%:50(31)
Level 10: Fallout Shelter -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx:50(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(50)
Level 12: Super Speed -- Run-I:50(A)
Level 14: Proton Armor -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx:50(A), Ags-ResDam/Rchg:50(15), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg:50(40), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(43), Ags-ResDam:50(46)
Level 16: Radiation Therapy -- TchoftheN-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg:50(A), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal:50(17), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen:50(17), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg:50(46), TchoftheN-%Dam:50(50)
Level 18: Burst -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx:50(19), Erd-Acc/Rchg:30(19), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:30(21), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:30(23), Erd-%Dam:30(25)
Level 20: Beta Decay -- SphIns-Acc/ToHitDeb:50(A), SphIns-Acc/Rchg:50(21), SphIns-%ToHit:50(31)
Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(23), RechRdx-I:50(25)
Level 24: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+:50(A)
Level 26: Focused Burst -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg:50(27), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc:50(27), MlsFur-Acc/Dmg:35(29), MlsFur-Dmg/Rchg:35(39), Rui-Acc/Dmg:40(40)
Level 28: Particle Shielding -- RgnTss-Heal/EndRdx:30(A), RgnTss-EndRdx/Rchg:30(29), RgnTss-Heal/Rchg:30(46), RgnTss-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg:30(50)
Level 30: Boxing -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg:50(A)
Level 32: Concentrated Strike -- SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg:50(A), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc:50(33), Stg-Acc/Rchg:30(33), Stg-Acc/EndRdx:30(33), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg:50(34), CrsImp-Dmg/Rchg:50(34)
Level 35: Tough -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx:50(A), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg:50(36), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(36), Ags-ResDam:50(37)
Level 38: Meltdown -- PrfShf-End%:50(A), PrfShf-EndMod:50(39), GldArm-RechRes:50(48)
Level 41: Weave -- GifoftheA-Run+:40(A), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx:40(42), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:40(42), GifoftheA-Def:40(43)
Level 44: Ground Zero -- AnlWkn-%ToHit:50(A)
Level 47: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(48)
Level 49: Physical Perfection -- Pnc-Heal/+End:50(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Acc-I:50(A)
Level 1: Critical Hit
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I:50(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I:50(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+:40(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:50(3)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I:50(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%:50(A), PrfShf-EndMod:50(3)
------------

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

• 2 weeks later

Got this character to level 50 today. 

Overall, I am disappointed, but only slightly.   Movement speed is not all that useful in CoX, and on some maps (Council catwalks, caves, Oranbega) it is a liability.  Super Speed is a limited travel power, though Combat Jumping makes it more palatable.   The character does not really feel like she is outpacing her enemies.

I think Kinetic Combat is better than its reputation.  The t9 attack one shots most even level minions.  The AoEs are nothing to write home about, though.  It does not really have good synergy with Radiation Defense.  That's a resistance and regen set that, like most of the others, relies on click powers for buffs and heals.  The t9 of Kinetic Melee has a long animation, long enough that mobs are often dead in team play when it finally fires.  Worse, your self heal and regen buff may be caught in animation lag.  Too much of the set's damage is offloaded into the t9.  Kinetic Combat would probably do better on a set and forget defense set like Willpower. 

For building a speedster here, the obvious choices don't seem to work well. 

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

19 hours ago, Heraclea said:

For building a speedster here, the obvious choices don't seem to work well. 

I think I would do an elec/elec stalker if you wanted a speedster. You're so fast your enemies can't see you, and you attack with and are protected by lightning discharged from your speed. If you build in some s/l defense it would also be pretty sturdy, and it should do good damage for both st and aoe.

• Like 1

Scrapper speed /sr can run real fast with swift. sprint and quickness with just standard IO's in fact it was great in missions I would not even need sprint because of swift and quickness made it fun and fast

Note /sr scrappers do not have a taunt aura but they are real easy to soft cap

FlashBack to old days: Pinnacle

Langar Thurs-Katana/SR 50; Hejtmane-DM/DA 50

Rogue Spear-Spines/DA 50; Hypnosis-Ill/Rad 50

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

• 2 weeks later

This has quickly become one of my favorite scrappers, even if I don't think the concept I was aiming for at creation really translates too well into actual gameplay.  I invested fairly heavily in her; the live build grew in ways far different from the plan above.  This one, not the TW/WP scrapper, is the one that got both sets of ATOs.  One in Body Blow, the other in Burst.  I think  they work better on her for a couple of reasons. 

She is a whole game scrapper, unlike the TW/WP, who struggles at anything below 35.  This one is still fun to play on a Moonfire or Penny Yin.   This also means that she threatens to take over the role of my basically unslotted Fire/Regen scrapper who is built for stuff like farming Synapse. 

Making her a little bit faster than other characters does in fact work, even if the effect is subtle.  She does well on incarnate stuff like Keyes, where 'don't stand in the stupid' is an important strategy. 

Unlike the regen or TW/WP, this one tanks well for  a scrapper, and can hold a fair amount of aggro.  The TW holds aggro for as long as the AoEs and cones are up.  This one pops Ground Zero and Particle Shielding and holds the mobs' attention that way. 

Kinetic Melee is meh, with weird noises and animations.  "Taste the power of Jazz Hands!"  The top tier single target attack is solid, capable of one shotting many even level lieutenants.   The AoE is lackluster. 

I replaced some of the Kinetic Melee sound effects with those from some of Reichsman's attacks, which are far more gentle to listen to but still have that 'momentum then whack' sound. Some trial-and-error later, they match up pretty well.

However, after I got my KM/bio to 50, I just put them to bed and left them there. Even have half a mind to reroll them as a MA/Bio, just for how tedious the KM animations are. Having done it, I'd definitely not pick it for a speedster build.