I changed my mind on AE farming...

Yomo Kimyata

When AE came out, I couldn't believe they allowed players to earn xp and inf there.  I mean, of course someone is going to customize missions and builds to generate xp and inf in an optimal way to earn xp way faster then from playing normal content... that's what gamers do.

Now, my personal playstyle is a min/maxer.  I choose a goal and optimize my build and attack chains, etc, to reach that goal to the best of my ability... I probably put as much, if not more time into this game without logging in then I do actually playing in game....  and when that's done I make a costume.

What AE farming gives a player like me is a host of new variables to tweak and optimize.  Now in addition to optimize my build, I can also optimize a mission to work specifically with my build, and vice versa.  It's really just more of the thing I love about this game.  

Which leaves me at this view point.   I don't have a AE farmer.  But I'm happy that people who want to farm AE  have that option and do not see it as bad for the game.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

2 hours ago, Crysis said:

This whole long-standing argument about “I despise how other play because it doesn’t complement/agree with how I prefer to play” is utter nonsense.  It all boils down to self-centeredness.  “I can’t find low level teams because everyone is cheating by PL’ing at the AE” is just another way of saying “Why can’t everyone just cater to my desires?”  It’s selfish.

Nailed it.

2 hours ago, Crysis said:

Back on Live (maybe here too, I’ve not looked at these forums enough) the entire AE “author” community was in an absolute UPROAR over people who would grade their farms anything less than 4/5 stars because they simply didn’t LIKE their farm.  They campaigned to get the star system adjusted/removed for anyone who dared to rate their perfect AE mission as anything less than perfect.  They even went so far as to blame the farming AE players for it and got a Redname to actually start monitoring what kind of players were rating AE missions, and whether or not they were ‘farmers’ or ‘actual valuable AE content graders.’  It actually led to an active cry for CENSORSHIP of who could/could not rate an AE mission and whether or not the “real” AE authors should be the only voice that mattered.

Here's where a lot of amateur, and even professional, content creators make a mistake. First, if your content is public, it is subject to criticism and rating by anybody. If you don't like it, keep it to yourself. Not getting a perfect rating is ok. But more importantly, the loud ones just don't understand that their creation is nothing special to the world. It's just there along with millions and millions of other creations random people have made.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

This is my experience as well. Even if it were true, I enjoy chaos and all of my teaming is done via pugs.

At least 50% or more of mine is too. Usually its a person or two from the sg, one or two global friends, then randoms for the rest if I'm forming the team. When I join teams it's almost always pugs.

2 hours ago, Lines said:

I think they meant 'many more people than prior to AE' or 'than on live' rather than that there are more people who PL than those who don't.

I'd take a lvl 50 newbie over an overpowered veteran who storms ahead of the team without communicating it. I can deal with wipes better than I can deal with unsolicited ghosting of missions.

Yes...I meant most (upwards of 75%) of the people I talk to in local, broadcast or help (and rarely LFG) think/say that I am doing it wrong by grinding out 1-24 on 10 of my toons the old fashioned way.  

Good news is I made a fire/spine tank to learn to farm in AE so my other 'old school's toons can afford IOs.

Everyone keep playing however you wanna play and have fun!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EmmySky said:

Yes...I meant most (upwards of 75%) of the people I talk to in local, broadcast or help (and rarely LFG) think/say that I am doing it wrong by grinding out 1-24 on 10 of my toons the old fashioned way.  

Good news is I made a fire/spine tank to learn to farm in AE so my other 'old school's toons can afford IOs.

Everyone keep playing however you wanna play and have fun!

Not "wrong" just a different path up the mountain with a bit more of a scenic pace.

Something to consider too.  Park those toons in day job spots so they get even more exp when they come back. If you cycle through your 10 or so over the course of days you can expedite their leveling a smidge.    Personally, if I'm not being carried or a farm with a toon or dbox'in, then 1-24 can go pretty quick with:

1. DFB's till the mid teens, then DiB or other available taskforce etc.

2. AE Bads in the city (3 runs or so usually gets 1-23 or 24).

3. Using the banking exp day job wise(toon needs to be level 2 though first if memory serves but that's not hard) waiting until the weekend to then do points 1 and or 2 depending on the folks looking for teams etc.