Slotting Chilling Embrace

tatmia

I'm not good at number crunching for powers for optimum slotting.     I currently have Chilling Embrace slotted with the Impeded Swiftness proc and an end reduc on my earth/Icy dom.    Is there a better basic slotting I should be aiming for?  

I've always used Chilling Embrace even when it was underpowered as my playstyle does have me in melee on any dom and I used it to keep the groups in range for my melee AOEs.

There's not much else you can put in it. There's a Pacing of the Turtle -rech proc (20% chance of -20%), but you've already got -50% from Chilling Embrace, so I doubt you'd notice it. You could stick a slow IO in it if you want to floor mobs movement speed, but you've probably got that covered with Quicksand. 

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

I have an Ice/Icy Dom that's a recreation of a build from the Live era.  Back then I didn't even take CE, as Arctic Air seemed to do the same thing over a larger area and I just didn't have the endurance to spend on one more toggle.

I think this is just my way of asking, "Anyone think I should add CE in even if AA is already cooking?"

17 hours ago, Caulderone said:

Didn't the recent tweak to CE (making it a damage aura) add PBAoE sets as an option for it?

Indeed!  I think Pbaoe Procs have a chance to fire every 10 seconds on each single baddie so I decided to load CE with some juicy PbAoe procs in MIDS.  My current Ice is only level 33 so I'm going to wait  a bit before slotting them.  Currently it's slotted with 1 End Reduc IO, 2 Acc IO's and one Damage IO.

I haven't played with the new Chilling Embrace, but based on how it looks in the description, I would probably slot it identically to Hot Feet or a similar damage aura. 

Sidenote question: is the damage from Chilling Embrace auto-hit? Powers like Hot Feet have a to-hit check, but the original Chilling Embrace worked like Arctic Air, with no combat roll. I wonder if that is still true.

On 9/21/2019 at 8:58 AM, oedipus_tex said:

I haven't played with the new Chilling Embrace, but based on how it looks in the description, I would probably slot it identically to Hot Feet or a similar damage aura. 

Sidenote question: is the damage from Chilling Embrace auto-hit? Powers like Hot Feet have a to-hit check, but the original Chilling Embrace worked like Arctic Air, with no combat roll. I wonder if that is still true.

I believe so.  I didn't have any sets or accolades running and it still hit the mob.  I even trashed the Accuracy enhancement that I had in it.  Notice in the photo there's no To Hit or Accuracy checks in chat.

Chillingembrace.jpg

On 9/21/2019 at 8:58 AM, oedipus_tex said:

That's a great starting point.   I'm much more familiar with slotting Hot Feet.   Thank you everyone.  

17 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

If Chilling Embrace doesnt have a ToHit check, it joins the small number of damaging powers that require no Accuracy slotting. This frees up a couple of slots and makes it a much more attractive power.

I might actually consider rolling an /Ice Assault now to check it out. 

I've always been a fan of Icy Assault but this change to Chilling Embrace is huge and should make it contender with other revered top tier sets in regards to damage, mitigation and utility. 

• Like 1