Homecoming News: PayPal Woes and Arena Foes

GM Tempest

100% disagree with the AH changes. "Playing the AH" is one of the more entertaining aspects of other MMO's I've played, and CoH as well. Artificially normalizing prices means it will be rarer that we get the items for cheaper than that now, (and also that I've lost plenty of AH fee money for rare salvage I've posted for, say, 1.25m that will now never sell). No more thrill of finding an item that has low stock so I can, mayyyybe, sell for 1.5x it's value and be that much closer to funding my own build.

So you're saying, "Want to get to 50? Can't do it playing AE content--you've got to play the content we want you to play. Want a bunch of purples and ultra rare recipes in your build? You've got to play the content we want you to play, rather than playing the ups and downs of the AH for a month or three and helping fund it that way".

I understand that with smaller servers there could be challenges with availability (I've yet to come across one myself), but making it so there is literally no scarcity for any salvage ever is not the solution.

/rant

Thank you for everything else you've done to bring our game back, of course.

As someone who used to buy every salvage on the market and re-list it for 10x the price to turn a profit, maybe it's better that it isn't possible.

Marketeering as you describe is simply accumulating wealth on individuals characters, taking it away from the masses.

While there were some positives to market manipulation (mainly providing a service of additional inventory), there was much more bad than good.

At the end of live I had around 150 billion influence, and I'd be lying if I said it I did it in an honest and good way. It sure was fun to accumulate that much, but it also had a cost for many more players.

• Like 1

While I do appreciate the intent of making it easier for players with less money, it really is a bad idea. Someone is buying it all up and then jacking up the price? They beat you to it or they're smarter than you. Don't like the price? Don't buy it. Someone will undercut them and the price will drop - free markets are self-regulating. That's why they work. They always have.

As far as the people claiming "fair price" or "reasonable price", it shouldn't be up to them to decide, it should be up to the market. They shouldn't be the unelected arbiter of either what I pay for something or what I sell it for just because they're more vocal about it and they demand appeasement. I love this game more than you know, but I'm so tired of the whiners winning.

I really don't like to complain, and I mean I really don't... especially considering what you folks are doing for us. I never thought I'd see this game again, and I spent literal years looking every day at the posters on the wall of my game room and the boxes and sleeves on the shelves. There will be things I like and things I don't like, so I'm just voicing my opinion.

Anyway, enough of my whining, you've heard enough. Again, thank you so much for giving us our game back. We literally love you for it. I hope you all get rich.

• 2 months later
On 5/9/2019 at 2:34 PM, Cipher said:

Fortunately we're now able to withdraw funds to a bank account to pay the first few bills that way; nothing on the front of being able to pay using PayPal directly still though.

Have you signed up for a PayPal business debit card?  You can use that to pay bills instead of withdrawing it to a bank account first.  That may help prevent issues in the future.

• City Council
7 minutes ago, CodeJunkie said:

Have you signed up for a PayPal business debit card?  You can use that to pay bills instead of withdrawing it to a bank account first.  That may help prevent issues in the future.

We do have a PayPal Debit card yeah, but even that was locked down during the time that this thread was made. It was simply because we were a new business (the LLC had just been formed) with a new account trying to throw lots of money at a French company (OVH), which set off all manner of alarms which even their customer service reps could not manually override and "had to let run it's course and checks".

All is well now though 🙂

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

32 minutes ago, Cipher said:

We do have a PayPal Debit card yeah, but even that was locked down during the time that this thread was made. It was simply because we were a new business (the LLC had just been formed) with a new account trying to throw lots of money at a French company (OVH), which set off all manner of alarms which even their customer service reps could not manually override and "had to let run it's course and checks".

All is well now though 🙂

Ahh gotcha...glad everything is good to go now.  :)

On 5/10/2019 at 12:55 PM, StPatty33 said:

100% disagree with the AH changes. "Playing the AH" is one of the more entertaining aspects of other MMO's I've played, and CoH as well. Artificially normalizing prices means it will be rarer that we get the items for cheaper than that now, (and also that I've lost plenty of AH fee money for rare salvage I've posted for, say, 1.25m that will now never sell). No more thrill of finding an item that has low stock so I can, mayyyybe, sell for 1.5x it's value and be that much closer to funding my own build.

And some people want to play the game and outfit their characters while leveling up without having to play the AH game as well. And I assume that on the larger live servers there was much more supply of rare items/salvage, that may not exist here.