Homecoming News: PayPal Woes and Arena Foes

GM Tempest

• Game Master

Hello, everyone!

So, it looks like we've run into a bit of a speedbump with PayPal after that donation drive. The amounts that came in were so fast, it tripped up their security system, and unfortunately, they're being rather mum on when they're going to release those funds. The good news is this shouldn't impact our move, but it does provide a bit of frustration on not being able to access the funds we'd earmarked for the move. We've included some screenshots for you so you can see what's going on from our end!

omK66Qi.png

KOKeuSD.png

n4vku1h.png

After a phone conversation with PayPal, they clarified that at this point our only option is to wait for their security process to go through. Hopefully it shouldn't take long, but as of right now our only option on this is to do as they asked - wait.

In some better news, though, Arenas are now working! Get out there and punch each other over minor disagreements!

As mentioned in Discord, we've seeded the Salvage market, you will never need to bid more than 10K for common salvage, 100K for uncommon salvage, 1M for rare salvage, or 50K for a Brainstorm Idea. There is a nearly unlimited supply of salvage at these prices.

AE missions will be wiped when we move, so save any of your AE missions on your local machine before the move, as you will need to re-publish them afterward!

More news to come Soon™

G9xPvc2.png

I guess the low supply high demand lead to unreasonable high prices. They seeded to counteract that faster then it would have happened naturally (month down the line). Furthermore they prevented the occurence of hyper-inflation through 24/7 farmers being the only ones supplying and buying on the market.

I hope you wont be doing anything to recipes. Its already nice enough we can get purples so easily with reward merits. And thanks to the 1mil inf = 1 reward merit you’ve efficiently set the value of all recipes.

• City Council

I hope you wont be doing anything to recipes. Its already nice enough we can get purples so easily with reward merits. And thanks to the 1mil inf = 1 reward merit you’ve efficiently set the value of all recipes.

No changes planned that would make recipes harder or more expensive to get. If anything, the opposite may happen (but again, no plans as of yet, we're waiting to see how the market settles).

• Thanks 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Paypal has developed some very poor customer service.  Looking forward to some decent competition in that market.

The LLC could always have its own bank account to make things easier later down the line.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Switch to the CashApp.  We're not using the other apps anymore.

I'm not jazzed about putting a thumb on the market.  The prices I pay have seemed fine, and SOs are always there as a backstop if things get too crazy.  Let the market be what it is.  If something is harder to save up for, it'll mean more to me when I get it.

I have a number of personal and professional experiences with PayPal that has left me not wanting to work with them ever. They are NOT a bank and are NOT regulated as such. On one occasion they did exactly what they've done to you but to the tune of $1.2 million. They have not released these funds to my company OR to the people who paid us. After a year, we ended up suing them and they finally released the funds back to the people who paid them.

My mother has an Etsy shop and released a very popular new bag and they did the same thing. It took 30 days for them to release the funds. And because it was an advanced sale, she couldn't deliver the bags in the requested time because she literally didn't have the money to pay for the materials needed.

I don't trust PayPal. People have been duped by them. And it is only until you have an issue with them that you realize that they are crooks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• City Council

I have a number of personal and professional experiences with PayPal that has left me not wanting to work with them ever. They are NOT a bank and are NOT regulated as such. On one occasion they did exactly what they've done to you but to the tune of $1.2 million. They have not released these funds to my company OR to the people who paid us. After a year, we ended up suing them and they finally released the funds back to the people who paid them.

My mother has an Etsy shop and released a very popular new bag and they did the same thing. It took 30 days for them to release the funds. And because it was an advanced sale, she couldn't deliver the bags in the requested time because she literally didn't have the money to pay for the materials needed.

I don't trust PayPal. People have been duped by them. And it is only until you have an issue with them that you realize that they are crooks.

Fortunately we're now able to withdraw funds to a bank account to pay the first few bills that way; nothing on the front of being able to pay using PayPal directly still though.

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Why seed the salvage market? I don't understand the point of this. Wouldn't you want to allow people to sell rare salvage for a good price?

Unreasonably high prices that resulted from extremely low supply. There's a "good price" and there's an "unreasonable price"

I can remember times on the 'official' servers when Luck Charms were going for 30,000 and up. And grinding in the south end of the Hollows, fragging Madness Mages for them because I couldn't afford those prices.

Why seed the salvage market? I don't understand the point of this. Wouldn't you want to allow people to sell rare salvage for a good price?

Unreasonably high prices that resulted from extremely low supply. There's a "good price" and there's an "unreasonable price"

How could high prices result in low supply?  Lowering the price of salvage isn't going to put more salvage on the market.  If you regulate the selling prices to be affordable to everyone, and the demand is greater than the supply (such as with Luck Charms), it just means there won't be any popular salvage left to purchase - and then people will complain about THAT.  Just because everyone can afford something doesn't create more of it to buy. 

I think seeding the market is a bad idea.  Selling salvage is a great way for low level characters to make money off of high level characters, and as far as I can tell, it's that way by design.

How could high prices result in low supply?  Lowering the price of salvage isn't going to put more salvage on the market.  If you regulate the selling prices to be affordable to everyone, and the demand is greater than the supply (such as with Luck Charms), it just means there won't be any popular salvage left to purchase - and then people will complain about THAT.

Just to elaborate on something people may have missed here: All the salvage is in pools, not individual stacks.

All the Common salvage in one pool, the Uncommon in another and Rare yet another.

If you sell a Spell Scroll, someone might be buying that as a Luck Charm, Masterwork Weapon or Inanimate Carbon Rod.

I also happen to think that placing a cap/backstop (at least for a time) on the max you have to pay for salvage will help, and it'll stop the kind of shenanigans that got played with salvage prices back on live.

I can remember those all too well, thanks...

• Thanks 1

How could high prices result in low supply?  Lowering the price of salvage isn't going to put more salvage on the market.  If you regulate the selling prices to be affordable to everyone, and the demand is greater than the supply (such as with Luck Charms), it just means there won't be any popular salvage left to purchase - and then people will complain about THAT.

Just to elaborate on something people may have missed here: All the salvage is in pools, not individual stacks.

All the Common salvage in one pool, the Uncommon in another and Rare yet another.

If you sell a Spell Scroll, someone might be buying that as a Luck Charm, Masterwork Weapon or Inanimate Carbon Rod.

I also happen to think that placing a cap/backstop (at least for a time) on the max you have to pay for salvage will help, and it'll stop the kind of shenanigans that got played with salvage prices back on live.

I can remember those all too well, thanks...

This is an excellent fix to one of the things that I was asking for almost a decade ago, which would have been a more generic build what you like IO system. When they told me that it would take six months to code and they didn’t want to do that instead of making new content, I just moved over to SBOs.

Whoever made this change needs to have a statue in Paragon City.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

I've heard so many bad things about PayPal. If you have set up an LLC, you should probably look into a proper bank account and use of a commercial payment service. If the service only takes credit cards and scoops 10% off the top for processing ... so what? That's the cost of doing business. There's nothing wrong with detailing a bill for $5237 and then saying +10% processing fees or whatever. That's why its dangerous to try to charge exact cost for things, there's always some overhead you don't think about that cuts into the money. Like people have done charity drives for the exact cost of an operation and then when the processing fee comes in they're a little short.

I totally understand you guys want to be 100% transparent and I'm not suggesting you should ask for an unspecified hedge fund. I'm just saying overhead and expenses are a normal thing. It's like when you (and by you I mean me) organize the office's lunch delivery order and everyone pays their exact food cost and stiffs me for the delivery, tax, and tip. You need to total those charges and turn around and say "Fred, your 10.99 wing order comes to 12.47 after tax delivery and tip." It's the same thing when you figure out how much donations are needed in a given month.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

100% disagree with the AH changes. "Playing the AH" is one of the more entertaining aspects of other MMO's I've played, and CoH as well. Artificially normalizing prices means it will be rarer that we get the items for cheaper than that now, (and also that I've lost plenty of AH fee money for rare salvage I've posted for, say, 1.25m that will now never sell). No more thrill of finding an item that has low stock so I can, mayyyybe, sell for 1.5x it's value and be that much closer to funding my own build.

So you're saying, "Want to get to 50? Can't do it playing AE content--you've got to play the content we want you to play. Want a bunch of purples and ultra rare recipes in your build? You've got to play the content we want you to play, rather than playing the ups and downs of the AH for a month or three and helping fund it that way".

I understand that with smaller servers there could be challenges with availability (I've yet to come across one myself), but making it so there is literally no scarcity for any salvage ever is not the solution.

/rant

Thank you for everything else you've done to bring our game back, of course.

AE content is *very hard* on the servers, especially when they're nothing but farms filled with dozens or hundreds of spawns. That's why its been nerfed, to stop the servers from lagging badly and crashing.

I understand, and I'm the first to tell other people that when they bitch that their gameplay is being controlled. The AH thing here has made me feel those complainers pain, though.