Fun little idea.

DR_Mechano

So we have games like Monster hunter, Dark souls (though in that case its more the boss souls making weapons and kill unlocking the armour set) and recently a boardgame in the form of Kingdom Death: Monsters that plays on the idea of killing a monster to use for parts and then creating gear out of said parts.

For example we'll use monster hunter, here is Zingore.:mhwzinogreblogroll-1567814019379.jpg?wid

And here is his armour set (not this is from an older game in the series than the above image):

latest?cb=20150722101740

Being a fan of these types of games I pondered on an idea for a character and a bit of a challenge. Lets start with any one of the melee weapon or the Archery set. Now I was thinking of pairing this with either scrapper (to represent the traditionally lower HP values in those games, thus the resistances caps are lower) or Sentinel using Willpower as the secondary, the most 'normal' secondary we can get. Now the idea is that at each milestone level range the character has to go off and hunt a giant monster (so 10, 20, 30 etc.) and then use the costume creator to make an 'armour set' based off of that particular monster. 

Now for some it's actually fairly easy, beating Jurrasik would result in using the Omega parts along with others for the armour but for others like Adamanstor or Lusca it might be a touch more difficult. The other problem is, naturally, high levels coming in help beat monsters (which does happen in the Soulsborne games and Monster Hunter with folks geared out for endgame coming back to help new players easily breeze through bosses) so I'd try to recruit only those of the same level though I do wonder if level 10s could beat a GM in a full party of 8.

So if you guys have any suggestions how to tweak the theme and the challenge I'd be all up for it plus any suggestions on 'armour sets' for each monster but I'll be probably working on those myself (I'm not going to turn down help if offered though).

I have always liked cosmetics that are locked behind content.

Makes no numerical impact, but allows for those that need to feel special to gain that.

I was not a fan of the Cape and Aura restrictions on Retail Live, but being given the Rularu weapons and things that were typically earned through playing was not a great idea, IMO.

SO yeah, I think the right rewards in CoH for 'big encounters' is bling.

It's less about the idea of rewards in the game and more deciding to play a certain way. Like XP limiting myself at each milestone point 10, 20 etc. until I've killed a giant monster with a team of the equivalent level and then making a costume change to reflect having 'killed' the monster.

First, I am afraid of anything inspired by Kingdom Death: Monster leaking into CoH 😄 

Second, I like seeing those kinds of challenges. There were a similar set for playing Minecraft that had you building up a community. Come up with a set of rules, maybe?

5 hours ago, DR_Mechano said:

So we have games like Monster hunter, Dark souls (though in that case its more the boss souls making weapons and kill unlocking the armour set) and recently a boardgame in the form of Kingdom Death: Monsters that plays on the idea of killing a monster to use for parts and then creating gear out of said parts.

For example we'll use monster hunter, here is Zingore.:mhwzinogreblogroll-1567814019379.jpg?wid

And here is his armour set (not this is from an older game in the series than the above image):

latest?cb=20150722101740

Being a fan of these types of games I pondered on an idea for a character and a bit of a challenge. Lets start with any one of the melee weapon or the Archery set. Now I was thinking of pairing this with either scrapper (to represent the traditionally lower HP values in those games, thus the resistances caps are lower) or Sentinel using Willpower as the secondary, the most 'normal' secondary we can get. Now the idea is that at each milestone level range the character has to go off and hunt a giant monster (so 10, 20, 30 etc.) and then use the costume creator to make an 'armour set' based off of that particular monster. 

Now for some it's actually fairly easy, beating Jurrasik would result in using the Omega parts along with others for the armour but for others like Adamanstor or Lusca it might be a touch more difficult. The other problem is, naturally, high levels coming in help beat monsters (which does happen in the Soulsborne games and Monster Hunter with folks geared out for endgame coming back to help new players easily breeze through bosses) so I'd try to recruit only those of the same level though I do wonder if level 10s could beat a GM in a full party of 8.

So if you guys have any suggestions how to tweak the theme and the challenge I'd be all up for it plus any suggestions on 'armour sets' for each monster but I'll be probably working on those myself (I'm not going to turn down help if offered though).

Unlocking armor based on action/ badge unlocking seems fine to me, and in the past there have been pieces unlocked by missions/ achievements.  I'm generally not a huge fan of it myself though.  I don't agree with locking armor to any given archetype or powerset, I don't see how it actually make sense, nor do I think it is something people are clamoring for.  I think one of the best design choice that city of heroes ever made was to remove classes/races/etc from costumes (outside of relevant weapon use).    Also, thematically, I'm not sure how heroic it is to go around hunting monsters or giants for the purpose of wearing their skin/ body parts in public- although I suppose its not totally out of bounds. 

Additionally, I see no problem with higher level characters helping lower levels to defeat monster.  It is a natural solution- and its part of the design of public zones.  If for some reason it was truly important to limit the level then instead of publicly spawning monsters there could be level based missions. 

All that said, I would not expect many people to wear the full costumes even after they earn the whole set.  This is a feature of a lot of other games and MMOs, where you can tell what a character has done by her/his armor/weapon- as such many characters look alike.   However, part of the allure of City of Heroes is how unique each character is. In general, you rarely see exact copies of any costumes or of heroes wearing a full costume set.  

Something you could add to the challenge could be with what type of enhancements so can slot. Like can't slot DOs till you get your first kill, can't slot SOs till your second kill. Can't slot common IO till 3rd kill. Can't slot uncommon IO till 4th and rare till 5th. Maybe something along that to go with gear theme. 

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"- Chesty Puller US Marine Corps

1 minute ago, Broken_Prey said:

Something you could add to the challenge could be with what type of enhancements so can slot. Like can't slot DOs till you get your first kill, can't slot SOs till your second kill. Can't slot common IO till 3rd kill. Can't slot uncommon IO till 4th and rare till 5th. Maybe something along that to go with gear theme. 

Oooh that would make things interest and also represent the idea of different monsters offering better 'gear' with later monsters gear just being flat out better.

1 hour ago, DR_Mechano said:

As mentioned this isn't so a much an idea "hey what if we do this for the game" and more "hey what if I do a little character challenge this way."

The general concept of unlocking costume pieces is not new to this game.  I think it is an expected and normal mmo feature and I think many people(other than me) enjoy it.  The specific concept of unlocking costumes for a given powerset(willpower scrapper armor, invulnerability armor, etc) I think is not in line with this game.   I'm not sure what the outcome you are specifically seeking is, so please help me understand. 

What is the actual challenge you're seeking?  Defeat a giant monster every 10 levels without help from higher level characters?  I think that would make for compelling missions or taskforces- a costume reward might be nice to go along with it.  I think that reward should not be archetype/power based.

If the outcome you're seeking is that a lot of people would be showing off armor or items for defeating the monster, I think some people certainly would.   I would expect most people to not wear most of the armor most of the time even if they earned it all.

If you simply want armor themed on the already-existing monster, I think that's fine too.  I think new costume sets are always welcome.

Are you saying you want to create and implement a new system of challenges based on class and level (or as mentioned by another enhancements or something?) and let costumes be the reward?

I think a new challenge system is a neat idea, but in general, I'd prefer new missions over it.  From a lesser resources perspective, would additional challenge options in AE or in Ouroboros based on archetype/powerset or aimed at them (ex, deal more than X or X% damage in a team of 8) resulting in new titles be in the vein you are thinking?

In lieu of programmed changes to the game, could a list of challenges be created and uploaded to a website for people to do on their own?  screenshots/ video for proof where applicable?

Edited by zenijos10

I mean no offense but I'm guessing English isn't your first language or you misunderstand my point.

No this is a little fun thing I'm going to do for myself. Think of it like a lesser version of those self imposed Iron Man or Nuzlocke or Speed run style challenges. It doesn't affect anybody but me. I'm not suggestion NEW costumes but rather every ten levels I have to take my character (who will be a broadsword/Willpower scrapper) gather a team of like leveled doods and doodettes (aka nobody in the team can be above level 10), go defeat a giant monster and then, with the costume parts we already have, try to build a costume with the idea that its an armour set made from the parts or at least has the theme of the Giant Monster I picked to defeat.

This isn't me asking for new content, this isn't me asking for new costumes, this isn't me asking for anything beyond simply announcing I have a fun little idea I'm going to do and wondering if anyone had any ideas for armour sets based on the monster (using the costume parts we already have).

This is/will be a self imposed challenge it literally affects NOTHING in the game, I get NOTHING out of doing this.

For reference take a look at this self imposed challenge run of Dark Souls.

See he doesn't do anything that the base game doesn't already offer, he doesn't get new stuff, he's doing it because its a fun challenge using all the things the game includes already and because he can.

As for the rules well anyone want to make any more suggestions.

We have a rule that you can slot DOs only after the first GM kill at level 10, SOs only after the second kill GM kill at 20, Common IOs at 30, Uncommons at 40 and Rares at 50?

Edited by DR_Mechano
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, daHob said:

First, I am afraid of anything inspired by Kingdom Death: Monster leaking into CoH 😄 

Second, I like seeing those kinds of challenges. There were a similar set for playing Minecraft that had you building up a community. Come up with a set of rules, maybe?

Also I would LOVE to play Kingdom Death: Monster but sweet jesus christ I am not paying nearly £400 for a boardgame, Dark Souls Board game at £80 was expensive enough.

Well, it'd be hard to replicate specific enemy parts in a recognizable way, (unless we already have their parts available), but perhaps you could get close.  For instance, let's say you started out in a fairly generic jumpsuit.  You defeat a notable CoT boss, and update your costume to include the CoT mantle/cape thingy.  Later you take out a Freakshow boss, and upgrade your character with a pair of cybernetic arms.  After that, maybe you've taken down a major member of the Devouring Earth and give yourself plant/organic armor legs.  Later still, you take down a big name Malta Operative, and don one of their helmets and nightvision goggles, and so on.  Admittedly, though, the resulting costume would look a little mismatched, but you'd have "trophies" representing all your greatest accomplishments...