PVE Claws/WP Stalker - Should I 86 this guy?

Fan Mail

I spun one of these up over the weekend and got him to 17 or 18.   Started to look on these here Stalker forums and saw some not so great comments on each of Claws and Willpower on Stalkers.  But couldn't find one specific to Claws/WP. 

I typically solo and stay on PVE content.  I don't have a lot of experience on Stalkers but so far seems to be OK granted that's what...3-4 hours of play maybe?

Would you comment on the so-called mediocrity of this combination? 

Wait until you get to level 27 and can slot level 30 generic IOs.  You might see a marked increase in performance.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

8 minutes ago, tafilr said:

Why do you say wait until 27?

Because you can equip level 30 common IOs at level 27.  Level 30 IOs are the functional equivalent of a +1 SO.  If you don't want to wait that long, wait until 22, and equip level 25 common IOs, which are the functional equivalent of a -1 SO.

@Rathstar

10 minutes ago, tafilr said:

Why do you say wait until 27?

To elaborate, I usually play new alts to around level 25-30, equipped with common IOs, to get a real feel for them.  Any sooner than that and I'm not sure if I've got adequate information to make an informed decision.  But if I don't like them by level 30, I'll probably never like them, and they get deleted or transferred to another server.

• Like 1

@Rathstar

39 minutes ago, tafilr said:

"...transferred to another server." 

Are you concerned you'll run out of 1000 slots in your shard of choice? lol

I just don't want them cluttering up the menu of my "home" server.  I don't care if they clutter the menu of a server I don't, or rarely, use.  I should probably just delete them, but there's always this nagging suspicion in the back of my mind that I might like to try them again in the future, so it would be easier to transfer back a mid-level character, rather than rebuilding from scratch.  But that's a "me" problem.

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

I'm also down for playing what is fun. If you enjoy a build, that's what matters. WP powers are good though 28, so I would at least get up to that. 32 might be the ideal place to evaluate the build.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

You can slot them at level 7 i think.  Just need the proc ones. 

I have binds set up to auto fire my build up during my attack chain, since build up refreshes so often.  Add a Gaussian proc and bam you are 2-3 shotting bosses.

Once you get them its like switching from a big wheel to a race car.

Haven't really used him to farm per say just trying to get him to 50.  Think I have about 200 million influence at this point between my toons.   I don't have the time to farm or haven't focused on that.  I like playing all my toons that much, it's not my focus I guess.  May need to hone in and get it done. 

You don't need to farm. Get on teams doing level 50 +4 missions and have 2x XP on. That's how I got my two level 50s in their final stretch so far. I also found focusing on a melee, DPS, and support build and getting them to 50 helped curbed altism a bit. This way there is a bit of rotation and change in playstyles. Once that group gets to 50, grab another. It also helps to figure out which builds once they hit 50 are still going to get played and invested in and focus on those. I had a list of like 16 guys. I'm down to 9-10 I care about to get to 50. I can see 5 being played post level 50 and one is a farmer so that's a default. I accept the fact I'm not going to pimp out all 10 characters, so I focus on the ones I want to. I play the others as a way to take break as needed.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 10/3/2019 at 7:41 PM, tafilr said:

I haven't hit 50 on any of my Homecoming toons yet, let alone get enough Merits for ATOs. 

I know that feel hehe, I was on alt page 3 before I found which character I wanted to get to 50 !
Like others said though, Merits are not well spent on ATOs since they are not that expensive. Just pick up the proc/passive (depending on AT) ones and frankenslot them into one of your powers and you will get a crazy boost in effectiveness