Macro Question

robopop

Hi, I've read a few guides and references on macros, and I think this should work for firing off two powers:

/macro foo powexec_name Healing Flames$$powexec_name Burn

The command creates the macro button in my tray, but when I click the button, only the Burn fires. I have tried putting quotations in a variety of places, but they either did not work or caused the macro to error. I thought the spaces in "Healing Flames" might be an issue, but "/macro foo powexecname Healing Flames" works fine.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong here? Thanks.

I believe, while burn in on cool-down, Then healing flames would fire, if you pressed the button again.

I don't think there is really a way to get 2 powers to be fired off at the same time from one press of the button.

Well, there is a work-around that would technically allow that, if you made one of the powers auto-fire. But, then you woud be dealing with that one power firing off when ever it came off of cool-down.

That is all working by design, if I'm not mistaken.

3 minutes ago, Twisted Toon said:

I believe, while burn in on cool-down, Then healing flames would fire, if you pressed the button again.

If I press the button while Burn is on cooldown, I get the disappointed "woop" noise of something on cooldown. Pressing the button after Burn is recharged, Burn fires again. So the macro is not considering Healing Flames at all.

I think it tries to execute the last power in the list first, so, if Burn is available, you get Burn.  If Burn is not available, you get "sad.wav."

I am sure there is a way to do what you're trying to do, it just may not be through the /macro approach.  

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

1 minute ago, roleki said:

I am sure there is a way to do what you're trying to do, it just may not be through the /macro approach.  

Thank you, I'll dig a bit more, then. I thought I read about someone who put their whole attack chain on a macro. I'll try to find that post again.

2 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

The behavior you describe above is accurate, I found, for toggle powers. For click powers, it appears only one can be activated per keypress, except - as you point out - if one is set to auto.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120508050831/http://www.barbariankeep.com/bs/bindguide.html 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 12:11 AM, Twisted Toon said:

I have a key bind for my PB that fires off a heal when in human form, but will fire off a different heal when in Dwarf form. Same key does both clicky powers. It might be a bind vs Macro thing. I'm not sure. I don't use macros very often, and then it's the default MM macros.

It's a power availability thing. I use the same bind for 3 different Destiny powers (Barrier Core, Barrier Radial, and Clarion Core), and it only fires the one that is actually slotted at the time because it skips the others. If more than one power is available and listed in the bind, it doesn't skip them - it tries to activate them in order left-to-right, then, before the power ever starts activating, it moves on to the next one. So the last available power in the list is the one activated.

1 hour ago, siolfir said:

It's a power availability thing. I use the same bind for 3 different Destiny powers (Barrier Core, Barrier Radial, and Clarion Core), and it only fires the one that is actually slotted at the time because it skips the others. If more than one power is available and listed in the bind, it doesn't skip them - it tries to activate them in order left-to-right, then, before the power ever starts activating, it moves on to the next one. So the last available power in the list is the one activated.

I understand that. I was just commenting on why, or my lack of knowledge on why, the Macro wouldn't activate the other power while the first one was on cool down. I don't really have much experience with multiple clickies that are both available at the same time. I have had a bind that swapped between fly and hover that wasn't the speed on demand set up. But, those are both toggles and mutually exclusive. most of my knowledge about keybinds comes from Paragonwiki.

From my limited understanding of pow_exec, I believe it will de-toggle multiple powers with a single keypress. It will not, however, activate more than one power with a single key press consistently.  Also iirc that power_exec reads the functions from right to left -- backwards of reading english.

The way to get around this is to use bind_load_file and cycle through two files.  So for example:

- macro1.txt says    macro foo "powexec_name [power1] $$bind_load file "c:\macro2.txt"

- macro2.txt says    macro foo "powexec_name [power2] $$bind_load file "c:\macro1.txt"

To kick off the chain, in CoH chat window type: \bind_load file c:\macro1.txt

I know this works for keybinds, but have not tested for a macro button. For example this works:

- bind1.txt says    L "powexec_name [power1] $$bind_load file "c:\bind2.txt"

- bind2.txt says    L "powexec_name [power2] $$bind_load file "c:\bind1.txt"

15 hours ago, LaconicLemur said:

From my limited understanding of pow_exec, I believe it will de-toggle multiple powers with a single keypress. It will not, however, activate more than one power with a single key press consistently.  Also iirc that power_exec reads the functions from right to left -- backwards of reading english.

The way to get around this is to use bind_load_file and cycle through two files.  So for example:

- macro1.txt says    macro foo "powexec_name [power1] $$bind_load file "c:\macro2.txt"

- macro2.txt says    macro foo "powexec_name [power2] $$bind_load file "c:\macro1.txt"

To kick off the chain, in CoH chat window type: \bind_load file c:\macro1.txt

I know this works for keybinds, but have not tested for a macro button. For example this works:

- bind1.txt says    L "powexec_name [power1] $$bind_load file "c:\bind2.txt"

- bind2.txt says    L "powexec_name [power2] $$bind_load file "c:\bind1.txt"

No input for the original question, but for the binds above I would use bind_load_file_silent to not spam yourself with System messages.  Unless you want the System to confirm the files loaded (you'd get a system error message in either case if they didn't).

• Thanks 1