Radios: Archetype or origin determines Detective?

ninja surprise

It seems like every police station has one detective outside and one inside. Does your archetype or origin select the detective assigned to you?

If so, is there an archetype or origin that always gets the outdoors detective?

Because I'm getting mighty tired of having to run inside to pick up and finish the Bank mission.

I believe it's entirely random.

But one could test it to be sure:
Roll up a character, and check which Detectives / Brokers they get by visiting each zone.
Delete the character, but keep everything the same:  Name, Costume, Power Sets.
Visit all the zones again and see if you get the same Detectives and Brokers.

City of Heroes has entirely unique mind scanning technology that governments all over the world have been unsuccessfully trying to crack ever since it appeared in the game.

Apparently, upon developing this magical wondertech, the City of Heroes devs used it to have the game scan a player's mind when they made a new character, and if the player wanted to eventually do radio missions on that character, they would be given the detective inside the building. If they didn't really care, they get the detective outside. The game will rescan the player each time they enter a new zone with that character, to make sure that if they change their mind during leveling, they still get screwed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure why they bothered putting multiple brokers and detectives in every zone. I guess for flavor ... it would probably feel weird if every single villain all went to the same broker. When they expanded the method to hero side (which did come markedly later) they probably felt like they had to have 2 detectives to pair off. Grandville, which went in later, only has 1 broker, as I guess they probably felt the role and usage was reduced by that point.

There is one thing that's a little bit of extra hassle - if you want to autocomplete missions for your team, the bank missions from different brokers/detectives don't count as being the same. If you had a static team of 8 you might have to run your mission twice. 

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

8 hours ago, SaintD said:

City of Heroes has entirely unique mind scanning technology that governments all over the world have been unsuccessfully trying to crack ever since it appeared in the game.

Apparently, upon developing this magical wondertech, the City of Heroes devs used it to have the game scan a player's mind when they made a new character, and if the player wanted to eventually do radio missions on that character, they would be given the detective inside the building. If they didn't really care, they get the detective outside. The game will rescan the player each time they enter a new zone with that character, to make sure that if they change their mind during leveling, they still get screwed.

I was going to say that I'm pretty sure it is random, but after reading this post I am no longer sure.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow