New And Useful Loading Screen Tip

Neoplasm

There are some things that even veteran players could be informed about and putting that stuff in the loading screen tips would reach a large portion of the player base.

One common occurrence is that some member of the team will enter the mission too quickly, before the mission holder is in the zone where the mission door is, and the whole mission will be set to default difficulty instead of the difficulty from the settings. The default setting is +0x0, which for example in level 50 content with a level shift means encountering enemies that con -1 to the players.

Since the bug has been around for probably well over a decade I'm gonna assume that i'ts impossible to fix because of engine limitations, so I'm suggesting that this information is made into a loading screen tip. Something along the lines of

"When in a team doing missions please wait for the mission holder (top name of the team window) to enter the mission first or for them to be in the same zone as the mission door before entering. Otherwise the mission will be set to default difficulty instead of what it's set to be"

Edited by Neoplasm

2 minutes ago, Neoplasm said:

There are some things that even veteran players could be informed about and putting that stuff in the loading screen tips would reach a large portion of the player base.

One common occurrence is that some member of the team will enter the mission too quickly, before the mission holder is in the zone where the mission door is, and the whole mission will be set to default difficulty instead of the difficulty from the settings. The default setting is +0x0, which for example in level 50 content with a level shift means encountering enemies that con -1 to the players.

Since the bug has been around for probably well over a decade I'm gonna assume that i'ts impossible to fix because of engine limitations, so I'm suggesting that this information is made into a loading screen tip. Something along the lines of

"When in a team doing missions please wait for the mission holder (top name of the team window) to enter the mission first or for them to be in the same zone as the mission door before entering. Otherwise the mission will be set to default difficulty instead of what it's set to be"

A better option, IMO, would be to add something like a little vestibule in each mission entrance, which cannot be opened until the mission owner has zoned in, (and the map would actually populate with enemies at that point).

52 minutes ago, Neoplasm said:

The top name is not always the mission holder unless they've changed it from live.  The top name is team leader (star) but they can choose missions from anyone on the team to set as the team task.  In a task force they are the mission holder as they are the one to talk to the contact.  

I agree tidbit info can be added to the loading screens, I have seen some interesting ones lately that I didnt know or had forgotten about.

15 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

I agree tidbit info can be added to the loading screens, I have seen some interesting ones lately that I didnt know or had forgotten about.

Perhaps it could be phrased as "If someone other than the mission owner enters first, the level of any enemies encountered may be adjusted to them, instead of what the reputation is set to".

Edited by biostem

13 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

The top name is not always the mission holder unless they've changed it from live.  The top name is team leader (star) but they can choose missions from anyone on the team to set as the team task.  In a task force they are the mission holder as they are the one to talk to the contact.  

The top name is always the mission holder, the leader is the one with the star and can be at a lower position in the team window.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EmmySky said:

They changed it late in the run on live

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

I think the top name/team leader change might have come with super sidekicking, so the top name is now the active player with the active mission that others in the team are scaled to.

The reason I suggest a loading tip is that it has no impact on game play and it would be easy to implement. I agree that the wording needs to be precise and the message as compact as possible so that people can actually read it in the time it takes to load. One good reason for going in the mission before the others are around is that one has long loading times so the tip would catch that crowd.

I'd just wish for the awareness of the bug to spread so I wouldn't dread as much any time the next mission is on another zone than the last. I'm fine with informing my team about the bug and asking them to not enter before me when I'm the team leader, but when I join other peoples teams or TFs I feel it's not really my place to tell other people how to play the game. Maybe that could be a reason why HC devs would not want to make it loading screen tip, too.

• Like 1