Scrapper Newb

Snarky

I play Brutes.  I 50d and incarnated and I/o one Elec/Elec scrapper back on live.  Was a beast.  After a few weeks I imploded it for the enhancers

i do not understand Scrappers.  So when I go to roll one I tend to stop because of the questions I have.  I do not like weapon sets.  So I look at Dark Melee and Kinetic Melee. Both these sets say in the power description that they only crit versus minions and Lts. As opposed to Broadsword that states it crits versus everything. Soooo.  That confuses me

was thinking of a Dark Melee Willpower. It is a combo that is meh on a Brute but could run better on a Scrapper.  But not without crits 

the other option is the Kinetic Melee Willpower but not sure if the Kinetic would be better on a Brute. Not a power set I have a lot of experience with

any comments opinions appreciated thanks

Yeah I been looking at the Scrapper thread by Galaxy Brain. Good stuff.  I plan to I/O and grab some AoE from ancillary or patron pools

my main question revolves about Crits from Dark Melee and Kinetic Melee. Do they crit bosses?  Because the power selection screen info does not indicate they do. Unless I missed it.  Also the Scrapper crit appears to be melee attacks only? So none of the ranged attacks from Epic/Patron Will crit?  Finally KM has a ranged attack. So that will not crit?  Thank you. Prob will not go for KM on Scrapper after reading the thread. Oof that looks bad. But a DM/Invul Scrapper that is I/O’d?  Could be a real possibility if it will outdamage the Brute version significantly 

As far as I know, they crit on everything. DM/WP is such a powerful combo it might get boring. Just make sure you get some AoE from Epic Pools and you're set. DM/Inv is my main now, better in my opinion than  DM/WP but more expensive to build. Can't comment on Kinetic melee, tried it once but got bored of it very soon.

Grain of salt here: DM paired with sets with +Def can be very, very safe. Paired with AoE's that can be saturated by Soul Drain can be even better! The /WP testing so far has been trying to isolate primaries without any other pairings, and while DM may be the "slowest" it is still probably one of the safest and can be great with other attacks outside the set. Dark is also the least resisted type in the game in PVE.

On the other side tho, Dark/ takes a while to get going IMO until you get those AoE's and Soul Drain.

• Like 2

On the other hand looking at the results on the Primary Testing thread Dark Melee comes in at the bottom in killing speed out of all the primaries so keep that in mind.  It seemed to take twice as long to clear the standard testing mission as the front runners.  It's heal and  -tohit do make it safe but it's kill speed is lacking.

*edit

Which I see GB made the point of in the post above me, I guess I need to hit refresh when sitting back down at the computer before responding.:classic_blink:

Edited by Call Me Awesome

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

On 11/23/2019 at 7:38 AM, Snarky said:

I play Brutes.  I 50d and incarnated and I/o one Elec/Elec scrapper back on live.  Was a beast.  After a few weeks I imploded it for the enhancers

i do not understand Scrappers.  So when I go to roll one I tend to stop because of the questions I have.  I do not like weapon sets.  So I look at Dark Melee and Kinetic Melee. Both these sets say in the power description that they only crit versus minions and Lts. As opposed to Broadsword that states it crits versus everything. Soooo.  That confuses me

was thinking of a Dark Melee Willpower. It is a combo that is meh on a Brute but could run better on a Scrapper.  But not without crits 

the other option is the Kinetic Melee Willpower but not sure if the Kinetic would be better on a Brute. Not a power set I have a lot of experience with

any comments opinions appreciated thanks

For crits you can't look at the in game power descriptions.  They all are the standard 5% base to crit against minions which is listed and 10% chance vs higher than minions (which isn't shown, but it does work), unless the power states it is even higher chance (a few are).  A midnight grasp crit on a boss is a beautiful thing and I have seen it many times, no worry.

As usual for its damage, it all depends on what you are trying to do and what is being measured on a specific "test".  In some tests (like in trying to clear a big mission of mobs), it can rate low because dark melee is single target focused.  But you can look at the below linked thread and on it DM rates near the top (as it measures Single target damage) when you account for soul drain.   The spreadsheet shows a lot and can be confusing, but for dark melee you have to look at the columns next to the main damage and those are its dps when under the effect of a 1/5 target soul drain.  You can see how impressive it can get and with enough recharge you can get soul drain to be up most, or even all, of the time.

So, you want to take down the tough targets there is little better than dark melee.  You want to farm big mobs, look elsewhere.