help with spines/fa build

ecgoutlaw

Hey all, 

I'm new to IO's. Have always used SO's in my builds. I was looking for some tips for my build to help with endurance. I bought all the IO's I could atm. I feel like an idiot trying to make this build. Any help and critiques would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I have too many slots in one power and not enough in another.

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Mutation Brute
Primary Power Set: Spines
Secondary Power Set: Fiery Aura
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Lunge -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A)
Level 1: Fire Shield -- EndRdx(A), EndRdx(3), EndRdx(3), ResDam(5), ResDam(5), ResDam(7)
Level 2: Spine Burst -- ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(36), ScrDrv-Dmg/EndRdx(37), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(37), EndRdx(37), Acc(39)
Level 4: Super Jump -- Jump(A)
Level 6: Blazing Aura -- ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(7), ScrDrv-Dmg/EndRdx(9), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(9), EndRdx(11), Acc(11)
Level 8: Healing Flames -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(13), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(13), Prv-Heal/Rchg(15), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(15), Prv-Absorb%(34)
Level 10: Temperature Protection -- ResDam(A), ResDam(34), ResDam(34)
Level 12: Build Up -- RechRdx(A), RechRdx(36), ToHit(36)
Level 14: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Plasma Shield -- EndRdx(A), EndRdx(17), EndRdx(17), ResDam(23), ResDam(25), ResDam(25)
Level 18: Quills -- ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(19), ScrDrv-Dmg/EndRdx(19), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(21), EndRdx(21), Acc(23)
Level 20: Consume -- ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), RechRdx(27), RechRdx(27), EndRdx(33), EndRdx(33), EndRdx(33)
Level 22: Tough -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(43), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(43), Ags-ResDam(43), ResDam(45), ResDam(45)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(45), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(46), EndRdx(46), EndRdx(48)
Level 26: Ripper -- Dmg(A)
Level 28: Burn -- ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(29), ScrDrv-Dmg/EndRdx(29), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(31), EndRdx(31), Acc(31)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx(A), RechRdx(42), RechRdx(42)
Level 32: Throw Spines -- Dmg(A)
Level 35: Electrifying Fences -- Dmg(A)
Level 38: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx(A), RechRdx(39), RechRdx(39)
Level 41: Ball Lightning -- Dmg(A)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48), LucoftheG-Def(48), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(50), DefBuff(50), DefBuff(50)
Level 47: Impale -- Empty(A)
Level 49: Combat Jumping -- EndRdx(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Fury 
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Heal(40), Heal(40)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod(A), EndMod(40), EndMod(42)
------------

I think the build is terribly bad, sorry, you are damn right about too many slots in some powers and too few in others but the fact that you have attacks with just base slot should be proof of that. There are three main ways of alleviating your endurance problems and I am afraid that kind of build needs alll, one of them is through set IO's another one is via Incarnate powers (Cardiac, Ageless) and last one is taking Energy Mastery Pool.

As to the build itself, I don't dare tweaking it, just mention that for an overall 14% def you don't really need Maneuvers nor Weave, 3 endrdx slots in Plasma Shield and Fire Shoield are too much, the To Hit SO in Build Up should be a +rchg, Consume doesn't need to be 6 slotted and Scirocco's Dervish is probably not the set you should have spent inf on.

On 11/24/2019 at 1:40 AM, ecgoutlaw said:

I'm not looking for the perfect build. I just want what will work for me. Just need some suggestions on how to work with what I have.

sounds like you're on a very tight budget? is this for farming? need to know exactly what you're after, but i'm sure we can help. it's gonna take you some time & effort to learn how IOs & the game mechanics can compliment each-other, but i'm down to show ya if you really want to know. if you're not into it & just want a build, that's cool - there are plenty posted here you can follow to the letter & do just fine with.

Start with your end game goal.  Find a build you know you will want.  Is the build I posted below the best?  Probably not as I farm with Rad/Fire but it is decent and works as an example as it can do fire farms at +4x8 easily and should be able to handle most even level random lvl 50 content out there at x8 (outside of toxic/psy damage).

Then either do a respec or 2nd build with those empty slots.  If you have no IO sets to put in, start with 2 accuracy 1 recharge 1 end redux and 2 damage.   For damage toggles replace the recharge with another end redux.  Then start farming away to finance everything else.  Run at +4x8 and make sure you keep enough lucks to keep your fire defense at or above 40% (45% is ideal but you should be ok at 40).  When I was building my farmer, I started with the LOTG recharge, then filled out the cheep stuff first and moved on to winter sets to cap out fire defense.  Once you cap out fire defense, then you can start converting everything to reds as you fill out the remaining IO sets. 

Also keep XP on after 50 as you will want those incarnate powers.  Agility is great for farmers while they figure things out as it helps with recharge, endurance and defense.  Another must have is Ageless in your destiny slot and that pretty much solves your endurance issues. 

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Natural Brute
Primary Power Set: Spines
Secondary Power Set: Fiery Aura
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Concealment
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Lunge -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(7)
Level 1: Fire Shield -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(7), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9)
Level 2: Blazing Aura -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(9), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury(13)
Level 4: Healing Flames -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(17), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(17), Prv-Heal/Rchg(19), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(19), Prv-Absorb%(21)
Level 6: Build Up -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Spine Burst -- Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Obl-%Dam(21), Obl-Acc/Rchg(23), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(23), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25)
Level 10: Temperature Protection -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(25)
Level 12: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def(27), Rct-ResDam%(27), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(29), Ksm-ToHit+(29)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 16: Plasma Shield -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(31), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 18: Quills -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(34)
Level 20: Consume -- MckBrt-Taunt(A), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg(34), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(36), MckBrt-Acc/Rchg(36), MckBrt-Taunt/Rng(36), MckBrt-Rchg(37)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(37), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 26: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def(39), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(39), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(39)
Level 28: Burn -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(40), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Arm-Acc/Rchg(42), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(42)
Level 30: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 32: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 35: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 38: Electrifying Fences -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(45), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(45)
Level 41: Ball Lightning -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(46), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Ann-ResDeb%(50)
Level 44: Throw Spines -- PstBls-Dam%(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(48), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(48), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(50), Ann-ResDeb%(50)
Level 47: Grant Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Fury 
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(15), Pnc-Heal/+End(15)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon 
------------

Edited by HelenCarnate

I am not expert on farm builds, but I would point out that while the more recent build is better it looks like it is still missing the two +3def(all) enhancements. Most of the builds I've seen have those in Tough, since I guess nobody runs it, at least not on a fire farm build.

My suggestion is take the second build, drop one slot from tough, and use it to mule

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Steadfast_Protection:_Resistance/Defense

and

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Gladiator's_Armor:_Teleportation_Protection,_%2BDef(All)

I can't remember how much they cost, but compared to many of the other sets you have there they will be high value.  +6% defense against all types seems way too good to give up for any set bonus you might get, especially for the 3 slots you have in Tough.

Edited by quixoteprog

Would look at the farm fresh thread for other builds. Not sure on cost as I built as I went. Figure 20 mil plus per purple and winter IO so it gets expensive but if you save the purples for last you can use the purples that drop while farming and converters to reduce some of that. 

Probably 800 million to a billion but more if you buy on weekends. 

Look at this page here for ways to build you character. Since this is most likely a farmer (don't see why else you would make a spines/fire Brute) the character will be funding himself so there is very little point in going budget.

Get the best build right away and work on it gradually increasing the difficulty of the missions to accommodate your gear.

Just because it is expensive doesn't mean everything in the build is out of reach, actually most of the build is fairly affordable with the majority of the cost coming from a few purple sets. Even then not ALL of the purple sets are super expensive, the purple sets that are Brute only are much cheaper because you can upgrade the orange Brute set to purple with Catalysts you will find all over the place once you get to level 50.

Alternatively what you can do to accelerate your farming with low gear is to roll a second account and make a Force Field Defender to shore up your Def (Fire) until you get your proper gear. This is perfectly legal and allowed in the server ToS

21 minutes ago, Seigmoraig said:

Alternatively what you can do to accelerate your farming with low gear is to roll a second account and make a Force Field Defender to shore up your Def (Fire) until you get your proper gear. This is perfectly legal and allowed in the server ToS

Is this something you have tried? It sound interesting, but wouldn't the FF defender be in jeopardy of getting hammered if they got aggro? Which would seem likely to happen since most fire farms it can be hard to keep the mobs you engage under the aggro cap. I have an emp. defender I have PLed a bit, just because they take so long to level otherwise, and it was cool to be able to drop Fortitude (bonus to defense) on my brute then fly up in the air with stealth to hide until it wore off. rinse repeat. Saved chewing some purples.

I think you actually get a "team bonus" to XP (and inf?) for multiple characters don't you? So that it is not simply divided evenly between all characters, if they are all the same level. For two characters I think you get the totalXP x (1.25)/2. Since it is all going into the same pool making two characters would seem to be optimal. Provided they are both 50 because the lower level guy gets XP proportional for his level which is lower.

Seems like it might actually be better to team two spines./fire brutes, if teaming were actually better for influence as well as XP.

23 minutes ago, quixoteprog said:

Is this something you have tried? It sound interesting, but wouldn't the FF defender be in jeopardy of getting hammered if they got aggro?

It is something I do regularly on my TW/Bio Scrapper (I just like to farm a bit to fund my endless stream of new characters). I actually don't run FF, but Sonic because of the -30% res aura that sonic can give me.

Here's how you do it:
Recently they changed the way Invisibility from the Concealment pool works. Used to be that you could only affect yourself while under the effects of this power. It has been changed to reduce damage dealt by 50% while this power is on. This mean that Aura toggles and buffs work full force while under the effects of Invisibility. So your buff bot defender is sitting in invisibility, with hover/fly on above the mobs and it will still provide all the buffs it can. Keep in mind that most toggle powers have a relatively short range so you will need to keep moving the bot. Buff powers on the other hand don't have a max range so there is no problem there.

Depending on what you are fighting you might be able to get away with sticking your bot on /follow and forget about it until the 5 minute buffs wear out so that you can always benefit from the FF bubble. A lot of enemies however do AoE damage and the bot will get hurt from collateral damage.

If you run the outdoor space mission for fire farming you can easily have it hovering above the mobs, bringing the mobs in range of the bubble and toggles then just move it around when you change section in the map.

23 minutes ago, quixoteprog said:

Seems like it might actually be better to team two spines./fire brutes, if teaming were actually better for influence as well as XP.

Teaming is slightly better for influence (10-20% better about not sure on exact number) but I have not noticed (or looked) for a bonus to XP so I can't comment on that.
If you are using the second brute purely as a passive /autocast burn bot you could most likely eventually get higher clear speeds but that would involve gearing up 2 characters the same so the actual inf sink that this would ultimately slow down your actual farming significantly since the bot brute would pull tons of aggro (because of max targets on Burn, aoe powers and taunt aura) and needs as many IOs and such to not instantly die at +8/x4.

Also managing 2 characters even with a dual monitor set up is quite challenging, you'll see how micromanagement heavy it is once you try it. Secondly the DPS you would lose from your main character, by not pushing his buttons in a proper rotation makes it so that it's not worth it (for me at least) which is why I run a Sonic/ Defender since I can have the benefits from a buffbot that also gives me 30% damage increase. Sonic/ on a /Fire Brute is kinda lost though since you are naturally capped 90% in fire resist. This is also why I suggested a FF defender so you can benefit from the +Def. That being said, once you are done gearing up the Sonic/ Defender takes the lead IMO because that sweet, sweet -30% res aura is sweeeeeet

Edited by Seigmoraig