Ebil Wednesday #4 : Walking in a Winter Wonderland

Sakai

As I was shopping for my blaster I discovered several opportunities of profit I had never noticed before. 

How common is it to discover new niches while working on a new build?

Is this simply the way it works?  It has been a long time. 

How do you guys come across your niches?

Edited by Sakai

13 hours ago, Sakai said:

As I was shopping for my blaster I discovered several opportunities of profit I had never noticed before. 

How common is it to discover new niches while working on a new build?

Is this simply the way it works?  It has been a long time. 

How do you guys come across your niches?

I second this.  Almost everything that I pursue started because I wanted one, so I bought ten.  Still works this way for me:  I get an alt to lvl 17 and put in bids for blocks of perf shifters and miracles.  Slot one, sell the rest for profit.

At this point, I've probably dabbled in everything there is to dabble in.  I drew the line at trading Halloween salvage, however.

Who run Bartertown?

• 2 weeks later

I also discovered some new niches when I got a recipe drop, checked the price, and said "Hmm, if this obscure recipe is selling for THAT much, there must be something interesting it can be converted into."  

More often these days when I'm doing a character build I say "Huh, I thought those crucial set IOs I need would be more expensive."  

• 3 weeks later

I monitor the help channel, as well as other channels. I look for people who complain about prices, then look on the /ah to see what's going on. 

There's a set called Cloud Senses, I think. I know what it looks like, but can never remember what it's called. Anyway, there's a proc in it that goes for 5 million. I have no idea why people like a proc that gives a "chance for X-type damage" when an generic damage IO will give guaranteed damage, and likely a lot more. Maybe they think a tick of psionic damage will do more damage than a regular dose of smashing. There's probably just something I don't know about those procs. In any event, saw one player complaining that there weren't any for sale on the AH. 

So, I proceeded to buy the uncommon equivalent, convert to that type, and put a dozen or so on sale and sold 'em all for 5m each. And they sell. I stopped, but on a low level that was starting from zero, found my way back to them and it's just one of those IOs that folks are either keeping for themselves, or converting to something else, or it just rarely drops. 

3 hours ago, Ukase said:

I monitor the help channel, as well as other channels. I look for people who complain about prices, then look on the /ah to see what's going on. 

There's a set called Cloud Senses, I think. I know what it looks like, but can never remember what it's called. Anyway, there's a proc in it that goes for 5 million. I have no idea why people like a proc that gives a "chance for X-type damage" when an generic damage IO will give guaranteed damage, and likely a lot more. Maybe they think a tick of psionic damage will do more damage than a regular dose of smashing. There's probably just something I don't know about those procs. In any event, saw one player complaining that there weren't any for sale on the AH. 

So, I proceeded to buy the uncommon equivalent, convert to that type, and put a dozen or so on sale and sold 'em all for 5m each. And they sell. I stopped, but on a low level that was starting from zero, found my way back to them and it's just one of those IOs that folks are either keeping for themselves, or converting to something else, or it just rarely drops. 

So you're one of the rabbits that's been peeing in my cabbage patch!  

It's a great micro-niche, but it's entirely dependent on demand.  Cloud Senses is underrepresented since it caps at level 30, so you're not going to get it through rare roulette at lvl 31 or 41.  I like to work the whole Accurate To Hit Debuff complex (buy Siphon Insight at lvl 30, [craft and] convert to Cloud Senses, convert to the proc.

One could easily and quickly dump a few hundred of the proc on the market, but that would drown the demand.  I don't monopolize that market, but it certainly sells less than 50 units a day and possibly as low as 10.

The Accurate Defense Debuff complex is similar with Shield Breaker and Analyze Wekaness, but the proc is less popular since it's lethal damage.

As to the value of Cloud Senses proc, it's great.  I put that <bleep> in everything.

Who run Bartertown?

9 minutes ago, Sakai said:

What does cloud senses do?

It's accurate to-hit debuff, so the set contains to hit debuff, accuracy, recharge, endurance reduction in varying amounts.  The proc is negative energy damage, which I would consider the least resisted.

I couldn't tell you everything that it goes in, but seeker drones and lots of necromancer powers come to mind.  Set bonuses are decent, with 4-slotting getting 6 1/4% global recharge.

• Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?