Is there a limit on a given set bonus?

Vorlonagent

If MIDS is right, a given set bonus like [+3.75 toxic, psi resistance] can only be taken 5 times, with additional instances having no effect.  Is this right?

I was speccing a build for an electrical armor brute in MIDS Reborn.  Electrical is bad with Negative Energy and worse with Toxic.   I was stacking sets of Gladiator's Armor to deal with the toxic side (and building massive psi resistance as a side effect)  The build has 6x res powers with Gladiator's Armor 4 or 5-slotted in it (Gladiator's gives +3.75% toxic, Psi resistance at 4)  The 6th Gladiators set did not contribute its toxic, psi res bonus.  Switching the 6th Gladiator's to 5-slotted Unbreakable Guard (which also gives +3.75% toxic, psi res at 5) didn't contribute the bonus either, so the 5x limit looks intentional.

But I thought I'd ask about it to be sure.

It's a limit of 5 of any one particular set bonus name, not limited to 5 of each bonus.

To clarify, you can get -4 KB from Karma, Steadfast Protection, and Blessing of the Zephyr. Each of those has a different name, so you can use all 3 sets to get -60 KB with 5 of each.

Luck of the Gambler's +7.5% recharge acts like a set bonus, but it is distinctly different from the +7.5% recharge in other sets, so you can have 5 of each.

As for getting Toxic resistance on Electric Armor... have fun? Power Surge is the only power in /Elec that offers any Toxic resistance, but it will get you 52.5% base. It's less likely to get you killed than Unstoppable but that's just because of the AoE hold when your hp and end crash, and if you time it just right you can hit Power Sink while crashing and then hit Energize. I usually recommend skipping it though, and my Rad/Elec Brute uses a purple or two and Energize: toxic defense doesn't exist, but my positional defenses are high enough (mid 30s, upper 20s) that 2 purples will put her over the softcap for normal content, and 3 for incarnate content.

2 hours ago, siolfir said:

It's a limit of 5 of any one particular set bonus name, not limited to 5 of each bonus.

To clarify, you can get -4 KB from Karma, Steadfast Protection, and Blessing of the Zephyr. Each of those has a different name, so you can use all 3 sets to get -60 KB with 5 of each.

Luck of the Gambler's +7.5% recharge acts like a set bonus, but it is distinctly different from the +7.5% recharge in other sets, so you can have 5 of each.

It is correct that the *name* of the bonus is what matters, not the value of the bonus.  However, most bonuses have common names.   So what is quoted above are the exceptional cases, not the norm.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

17 hours ago, siolfir said:

As for getting Toxic resistance on Electric Armor... have fun? Power Surge is the only power in /Elec that offers any Toxic resistance, but it will get you 52.5% base. It's less likely to get you killed than Unstoppable but that's just because of the AoE hold when your hp and end crash, and if you time it just right you can hit Power Sink while crashing and then hit Energize. I usually recommend skipping it though, and my Rad/Elec Brute uses a purple or two and Energize: toxic defense doesn't exist, but my positional defenses are high enough (mid 30s, upper 20s) that 2 purples will put her over the softcap for normal content, and 3 for incarnate content.

I was able to get my Toxic Res to like 39.8% (obviously coming from more sources than just the Gladiator's Armor sets).  It was all Toxic, Psi too, giving the build something like 81% psi res. 

The build was intended to include both Rune of Protection (Sorcery) and Unleash Potential (Force of Will).  I'm not done with the concept but I'm not sure it will actually come together.  I was able to make it work for an Invulnerability Brute.

As an alternative, I will see how high I can build Melee, Ranged and AOE defense. 

20 minutes ago, Lines said:

Am I wrong in saying that only one of the new origin pool powers can be taken? I don't think a build can use both sorcery and force of will.

Only heard it so; not tested.

Pretty sure I saw that on a character I was leveling up like last week, yes.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝